Rams leaving St. Louis?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Rams leaving St. Louis?

Post by brewcrew1000 »

NDTeve wrote:Won't this make Kroenke an enemy in St Louis? Doesn't he have a ton of business there?
I honestly think most residents of st louis dont really care about the rams, i would expect a lot of them are chief fans anyway
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

They're Cardinals fans.
TheSmokinPun
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by TheSmokinPun »

There is no other city more apathetic about their NFL team than STL. Feels like every other place in the country is crazy for their team but not the BFiB.
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

TheSmokinPun wrote:There is no other city more apathetic about their NFL team than STL. Feels like every other place in the country is crazy for their team but not the BFiB.
LA might be even more apathetic than STL (and possibly the sunbelt markets) with the beaches and amount of transplants, Cardinals are #1 in STL, Lakers are #1 in LA, people in LA are fine without a team and won't notice if a team moves back, they didn't notice when they left, they'll notice in STL
pstokely
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by pstokely »

TheSmokinPun wrote:There is no other city more apathetic about their NFL team than STL. Feels like every other place in the country is crazy for their team but not the BFiB.
no one will support lame duck losers, they supported them 15 years ago
phuqueue
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by phuqueue »

pstokely wrote:
Well yeah because conversely anyone will support a Super Bowl winner. When I was in school in St. Louis I had classmates who "hate baseball" who suddenly became huge Cardinals fans during the World Series. It's fun and easy to support a winner and get swept up in a city's excitement. That doesn't prove people actually care about the team. The Rams might be terrible now, but they haven't been terrible for all that long, really.
MidtownCat
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by MidtownCat »

The Rams aren't that more terrible than we are.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

pstokely wrote:
Yea, and the team has been telling fans for ten years how crappy the stadium is. Why would you want to go to a stadium the team is telling you is a crappy gameday experience?

Its the same thing that happened in Montreal in baseball. Fans came out in droves to support a winner. They're not going to come out and see a team that ownership has pulled the plug on.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

phuqueue wrote:
pstokely wrote:
Well yeah because conversely anyone will support a Super Bowl winner. When I was in school in St. Louis I had classmates who "hate baseball" who suddenly became huge Cardinals fans during the World Series. It's fun and easy to support a winner and get swept up in a city's excitement. That doesn't prove people actually care about the team. The Rams might be terrible now, but they haven't been terrible for all that long, really.
Ha, we had the same experience. I remember the early 90's in St. Louis, with Mark Whitten roaming the outfield in a mostly empty Busch Stadium.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

brewcrew1000 wrote:
NDTeve wrote:Won't this make Kroenke an enemy in St Louis? Doesn't he have a ton of business there?
I honestly think most residents of st louis dont really care about the rams, i would expect a lot of them are chief fans anyway
you would think, but it's more of a spread, really. colts, bears, steelers, sprinkling of saints fans. don't really see that much chiefs gear. bars that show bears games are usually packed. i see bears jerseys on the street. i could be skewed because my girlfriend, her sister and brother in law, and a couple friends are bears fans, so i tag along for games. there's a lot of boomerang people here in their 30s that have returned from chicago stints bears fans. that's a phenomenon i've seen with 5-6 people!

im on the younger side of this generation, but thirty and early fourtysomething people grew up with the blues dominating the winter, and without an NFL team for a long time.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Rendering of a new stadium.

http://fox2now.com/2015/01/08/new-st-lo ... -briefing/

Rams have apparently not been involved in these talks.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

they have endowed the mississippi river with a flattering hue, to be sure.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

What happens when the river rises? It's been up the steps at the arch a few times in the recent past.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:What happens when the river rises? It's been up the steps at the arch a few times in the recent past.
well, i imagine they would build above the high water mark, and perhaps even allow for an install of the river wall in that area during flooding. the city of st. louis actually has panels in some areas that they put up.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Andy Banker ✔ @andybankertv
Follow
#StLNFL Peacock says #Rams aware of our plan. We're in discussions with them. #NFL extremely involved @FOX2now
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Said no taxpayer burden but publicly owned. How does that work?
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

pash wrote:
warwickland wrote:they have endowed the mississippi river with a flattering hue, to be sure.
Even the Big Muddy has been looking noticeably more water-colored lately. Perhaps it has something to do with the Corps of Engineers' decision to put some water in it.
the mississippi is actually almost nice above the missouri river in the alton pool, and certainly above the illinois river confluence. it would have been better if st. louis had been located near the confluence of the illinois and mississippi on the illinois side, but the chain-of-rocks prevented that (if you are driving east on I-270 at the mississippi, it's the weird rapids by the castle intake in the river to the south).
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

warwickland wrote:
aknowledgeableperson wrote:What happens when the river rises? It's been up the steps at the arch a few times in the recent past.
well, i imagine they would build above the high water mark, and perhaps even allow for an install of the river wall in that area during flooding. the city of st. louis actually has panels in some areas that they put up.
Weak. In my day, football players would play through the elements!