OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by Long »

I don't know how much energy efficiency you gain with opaque panels instead of transparent, but I think a mix of opaque and transparent panels will make the building more interesting, give it more of a texture.  I'm assuming the rendering is trying to show this mix, with the dark squares being the glass and the rest of it metal, or vice versa.

Overall I'm much more pleased with this design compared to the January rendering.  The January rendering just looked like a bad compromise of the original saucer+electronic windows design.  This looks like an actual, intentional, uncompromised design.  Its no Guggenheim Bilbao, but for an arena it looks pretty nice.
eliphar17
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by eliphar17 »

I'm pretty sure the main reason for having less than 100% glass is the construction cost. That is, after all, the reason the original concept was abandoned. When I talked to the architects at their office two months ago, they were working on something like this idea, a skin of tesselated shapes that includes a mix of glass and metal. I'm glad to see they have continued developing it. I think it's great because it is a far, far cry from a glass-and-metal box like almost every other arena out there.

It reminds me of the Arizona Cardinals' new stadium (but without the ridiculously copious parking), designed by HOK:

KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

I really hope this helps to ease the worrying that we would be stuck with an arena like all the others.  I actually like this better than the UFO design.  The all-glass concept was the meat and potatoes of the original design anyway and I'm very glad they're sticking to it the best they can.  It's a concept that is important to the direction downtown is going and they seem to realize this.  Thumbs up from me.

I also hope they are able to at least incorporate some cool lighting effects.  Maybe not the laser techno show but I'd love to have a glowing, colorful (changing color?) display at night.  It could really compliment the green glow coming from H&R block.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I like the lack of suites on the ends of the bowl. That should make for better seating in an end stage concert setup. Also makes all of the suites "premium".
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

tat2kc wrote: I also like the fact that it will not have any blank walls, but be interesting on all sides. That sure is different from many arenas. It would also help development on all sides, without anyone facing a blank, dead wall. 
The best part of that is that the closest thing this has to a "back", the loading dock area, is in the "corner" that faces the AT&T Building... the one spot that's both hidden from most views and not facing anyplace that would see new development.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A very large hospital bed pan?
Caycee
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Caycee »

mister816 wrote: am I the only one who thinks that the old renderings were 10 times better... this new one is TERRIBLE!
I'm with you, except, I don't like any of them. *pukes*
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Caycee wrote: I'm with you, except, I don't like any of them. *pukes*
I'm with you.  Looks like chit.  :(
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i actually like this much better than the original renderings.  If only the roof were more interesting..... i know, who's going to look at the roof right....  but wouldn't it have been cool if it could have a rooftop garden up there...... or atleast a green (low maintenance) sedum roof with a couple of planters near the roof edges where they could plant actual trees (in other words, not accessible to the public or anything, but it would atleast be more environmentally friendly, and provide these gradually changing accents on the roof ).

Are they keeping the water feature?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

My first thoughts:  :shock: :puke:

But on further review. It's better than the UFO...and better than Savvis, Target Center, Pepsi Center, Ford Center, etc., etc., etc. Arenas are all mostly ugly pieces of garbage. Just like tat said, this design is softer and that's what we need with Block's glowing deoderant stick and the chain mecca/tourist trap that is P+L District. The arena should look like a soft, urban pillow opposed to a harsh, glass monster. The new design look very Euro, but please no crazy images on the pillow-- just have some interesting and dynamic lighting effects.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

i agree ^ 

I should say i really dislike the big "Sprint Center" on the glass on some of the renderings.  That looks very tacky.  We all know its the damned Sprint Center, and when there are televised events, they can keep the title on the roof where the helicopter shots can pick it up.  But please, don't put it on the side of the building.  That kind of loud and obnoxious stuff might work in L.A, but not KC.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I'd rather see KANSAS CITY (like the Philips Arena) on the exterior somewhere, on the N or S, or maybe W side.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

After seeing the additional renderings online I like it....it's obviously different and much more than a plain concrete box that many were worried about.  It will be much different than normal arenas and because of that I like it. 

Unique design and still keeping with the glass feature to make the inside interact with the outside....exactly what I was hoping....no keeping the interior first class is a big goal.  I really like how every side of it is good...there isn't a "backside" that looks ugly.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Yeah, I don't have a problem with this. I am not floored and astounded and in awe of the brilliant design, but kudos to the design team for making something reasonably cool and within budget (we hope!)
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Here are all the new renderings:

I agree lets hope this is within construction budget....I still think there needs to be some cool exterior lighting effects in a completely glass building.
Last edited by KCPowercat on Wed May 25, 2005 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

Well, If Sprint ever went under... We could call it the "Jiffy Pop Arena" (1st thing came to mind yesterday when i opended the paper was "mmm..  Popcorn")

and Speaking of Sprint..  does anyone think they should wait to find out what the arena name will be (Sprint, Sprint-Nextel, Nextel) .. before they spend hundreds of thousands plastering the Sprint name all over the arena?
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

MidWestSider wrote: Well, If Sprint ever went under... We could call it the "Jiffy Pop Arena" (1st thing came to mind yesterday when i opended the paper was "mmm..  Popcorn")

and Speaking of Sprint..  does anyone think they should wait to find out what the arena name will be (Sprint, Sprint-Nextel, Nextel) .. before they spend hundreds of thousands plastering the Sprint name all over the arena?
Everything I have heard indicates that regardless of the merger the arena name will still be Sprint Center.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I feel like everyone is giving this new design a great uproar of applause, where as this should be looked at as a disgrace to our community.  We will not even get a standard arena, instead we will have a giant bar of Soap stinking up 4 blocks of our downtown.  I hope that everyone remembers that our taxes are paying for this, and we should demand more.  This is supposed to be a Landmark building.  We have already lost the light show.  Now we could lose the Glass, because of operating costs?...With the largest arena management company in the nation turning over millions in profit each year?  I doubt a "glass exterior" would make our arena any more costly to manage than the phoenix suns arena. 
I would easily take Kemper over this, any day, even without all the "Amenitys, a.k.a suites"  Remember that Kemper also seats 18,500....the only thing wrong is location.  If we let AEG build this "soft, pillow shaped" design, the only thing going our way will be location.  They need to take their junk elsewhere.  For once it looks like the NIMBY's are going to win....and they haven't even started in with the "Twinkie" jokes.

The northland is starting to sound pretty good
--No bridge construction
--Plenty of high school sports
--better air quality
--Backyard barbeque's
--Zona rosa
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

it really doesn't matter how much profit AEG makes in other places, they need to make a profit here in Kansas City. The more profit they make, the more money the city will make. So yes, operating costs do figure into the design.  There is no "great uproar of applause". Some people like it, some don't, we are also talking about some of the design elements that have not been shown yet, such as the amount of glass, the use of other materials, etc.  As for the soft pillow shape, it is different from other arenas, which is a plus. We have not seen the final design, and we won't for another 60 days or so. What we are doing is discussing, the design, which is in process.   

I'm sorry bridge construction is so distressing to you. Perhaps you might want to consider the many other methods for getting south of the River besides the Paseo. I think there are at least 4 other river crossings. You might want to check into that.  I am not sure that many people, other than those with high school children, follow high school sports that much.  People south of the River have back yard Barbeque's also. (not sure if you are aware of that) . Zona Rosa is nice. So is Target.  Neither have anything unique to the metro area.  Yes the northland is an attractive place, and has some nice ammenities. Just not many that are a regional draw.  Perhaps you might want to venture out more.  If you can't figure out how to get across the river, just ask. 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

I don't see what the major malfunction with the design is. It is reasonably unique, and it isn't horribly ugly. What more can you ask for, really? In context with the neighborhood, esp the Star press and the HRB HQ, I actually like this better then the UFO design--although the UFO design itself was more eye-catching. And, of course, it's not really going to look JUST like that.

Suffice to say, this isn't the radical, challenging building I was hoping for. I definitely would have liked to have seen the renderings and thought, "holy crap, that is an ARENA!? WOW!!" But this isn't some lame Pepsi or Qwest Center (no offense Denver & Omaha), so good enough.