OFFICIAL - East9 (former Pickwick Plaza)

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Pork Chop
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: Pickwick & Bus Terminal

Post by Pork Chop »

chingon wrote:
Pork Chop wrote:Oh and I need to get the streetcar plug in....it's only 3.5 blocks away from a streetcar stop.
Somebody should keep a rolling list of all development occurring or planned inside the TDD, so people could just cut and paste it in replies to ubiquitous "toytrain/boondoggle" regurgitations from the anti-everythingers.
Great idea
DaveKCMO wrote:working on it...
Thanks Dave
earthling
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by earthling »

What is the latest with this?
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

A permit was issued today for construction of the building's renovation.

KCDowntown
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCDowntown wrote:A permit was issued today for construction of the building's renovation.

KCDowntown

Oh my goodness, finally something happening with this... now if only a luxury hotel would renovate the Federal Reserve or something!!
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

geeman68 wrote:Oh my goodness, finally something happening with this... now if only a luxury hotel would renovate the Federal Reserve or something!!
That's still the plan, eventually.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... posal.html
But now, a development partnership is preparing to launch a $55 million rehabilitation of the complex that calls for 260 market-rate apartments, 32,000 square feet of commercial space and 300 parking spaces.

Toward that end, Pickwick Rennaissance LLC, a partnership formed by Overland Park-based Gold Crown Properties Inc., is seeking a 10-year, 100 percent tax abatement from the Land Clearance for Redevelopment Authority. The LCRA is scheduled to to consider the abatement, which has a net present value of $2 million, during its monthly meeting on Wednesday.

The developers also have been working toward approval of state and historic tax credits in an amount that would finance 40 percent of the project cost, or about $22 million.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://metrowiremedia.com/lcra-stamps-a ... t-project/

I especially like how the building has an Apple store from 2006-2007 added to it. that dates the renderings to more than 7 years ago which the article mentions is when the guy first saw the building
http://metrowiremedia.com/wp-content/up ... ick-41.png
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is the swimming pool being added inside the existing garage, or are they putting it over the new retail store where the bus entrance used to be?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

FangKC wrote:Is the swimming pool being added inside the existing garage, or are they putting it over the new retail store where the bus entrance used to be?
And are they only adding a salt water pool? That's a cool feature but it seems odd that you wouldn't have a normal pool too.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Demosthenes wrote:
FangKC wrote:Is the swimming pool being added inside the existing garage, or are they putting it over the new retail store where the bus entrance used to be?
And are they only adding a salt water pool? That's a cool feature but it seems odd that you wouldn't have a normal pool too.
A salt water pool uses a titanium catalyst and salt to make chlorine, as opposed to adding chlorine directly to the water. There is only a slight difference in the feel between the two. This is what people talk about when they say "Salt Water Pool". While there is a slight amount of salty-ness it's not like swimming in ocean water, or like a salt water fish tank. No need for two pools.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

shinatoo wrote:
Demosthenes wrote:
A salt water pool uses a titanium catalyst and salt to make chlorine, as opposed to adding chlorine directly to the water. There is only a slight difference in the feel between the two. This is what people talk about when they say "Salt Water Pool". While there is a slight amount of salty-ness it's not like swimming in ocean water, or like a salt water fish tank. No need for two pools.
Ahh, ha I figured it was like a little ocean or something.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Supposed to be cheaper to operate and more eco friendly. Salt water pools not uncommon, the View's outdoor pool.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

moderne wrote:Supposed to be cheaper to operate and more eco friendly. Salt water pools not uncommon, the View's outdoor pool.
Correct. But much more expensive to install. Year round pool makes a lot of sense. Three month pool doesn't pay back for over a decade.

Plus most people feel it's better on the skin and easier on fabric.

Back to the topic. Awesome building. Hope it gets the remodel it deserves.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Sorry to be a buzzkill, but this is only a Zoning Compliance Letter permit. Pretty much every parcel of land in the city that isn't a single family residential has been sending one of these in over the last 12 or so months.

The last construction-related permits I could find for this project are from October of last year...
http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 1&jur=KCMO
http://kivaweb.kcmo.org/kivanet/2/permi ... 2&jur=KCMO

Unfortunately, it has been really quiet on the permit front for this project, so I'm thinking it is delayed.

KCDowntown
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

There are also squatters/homeless currently living in the building. I pass by it everyday and see windows open and someone is line drying their clothes. EWWWWWWW.
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

Another permit came through today for this project - a CPBF permit, which is a remodeling permit. I know that the developer has had delay related issues with the abatements this project has received including being fined $10,000 recently because this project has not started.

I'd like to think this meant work was forthcoming, but the comments are all about an emergency generator so who knows if this means anything. I'm still inclined to think this is not the start of the renovation at this point.

KCDowntown
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

KCDowntown wrote:Another permit came through today for this project - a CPBF permit, which is a remodeling permit. I know that the developer has had delay related issues with the abatements this project has received including being fined $10,000 recently because this project has not started.

I'd like to think this meant work was forthcoming, but the comments are all about an emergency generator so who knows if this means anything. I'm still inclined to think this is not the start of the renovation at this point.

KCDowntown
I wonder if they are waiting to see if the Embassy or other hotel conversion gets the final green light before they move foward as that would be a big driver for the development and push out more vagrants in the area. That is not the safest feeling section of the City and having a large hotel with lights, landscaping and activity security/cameras along with the Pickwick apartment would be a better sell on living there.
mgh7676
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by mgh7676 »

Developers plan a $65M rebirth for Pickwick Plaza
Within 16 months, it is expected to be transformed into East 9 at Pickwick Plaza, a mix of 260 apartments with finishes, amenities and rents designed to attract millennials; 32,000 square feet of commercial space; and a 300-space parking garage.
Plans call for the project's north wing, which includes the parking garage and a seven-story building last used for offices decades ago, to be renovated first. It will include 45 apartments that could be ready for occupancy within a year.
The south, or 10th Street, side will include 215 apartments in the 11-story, horseshoe-shaped Pickwick Hotel building.
http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/n ... plaza.html
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

can't wait for this one to start. between this project, the HI express, and the argyle, we might actually see some life east of grand.