Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by chaglang »

So, could the city just put those on the ballot and use the money to fund Phase 2? I can't think of a more appropriate way for KC to finally fund a light rail system than by accident.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:So, could the city just put those on the ballot and use the money to fund Phase 2? I can't think of a more appropriate way for KC to finally fund a light rail system than by accident.
I can't think of a surer way to assure failure.
chaglang
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chaglang »

chingon wrote:
chaglang wrote:So, could the city just put those on the ballot and use the money to fund Phase 2? I can't think of a more appropriate way for KC to finally fund a light rail system than by accident.
That wasn't a serious suggestion.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

chaglang wrote:
chingon wrote:
That wasn't a serious suggestion.
Missed that I guess.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

Does a Chastain initiative on the ballot at the same time a potential vote for extending the streetcar system complicate the issue? That seems to be what the KC Star is suggesting. Seems like really bad timing if this happens.

http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... in-KC.html
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

If both are on the ballot, then yes, there are complications. First a city-wide vote on the issue then within the district another vote. Vote for one? Vote for the other? If I want ot vote NO one one and YES on the other which is which? Which one do I vote for? What happens if both passes? My be Florida in 2000 all over again.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:If both are on the ballot, then yes, there are complications. First a city-wide vote on the issue then within the district another vote. Vote for one? Vote for the other? If I want ot vote NO one one and YES on the other which is which? Which one do I vote for? What happens if both passes? My be Florida in 2000 all over again.
The Chastain plan included longer-distance light rail + streetcars.

The city could write ballot language that the "Chastain" tax could fund the remaining aspect of the streetcar network plus planning for a larger regional system. A key part of one of the rulings is such a tax didn't actually have to build what was written in the ballot language.

For me, the strongest pairing would be two clear items of purpose.

1. TDD tax to fund 50% of the streetcar line south of the river, with it standing alone as a funding source.

2. Citywide 3/8 cent tax. Call it the "do more" rail vote.

Write that this tax will fund any gap from federal funding and extensions, not the core 50% needed for the system. Vote for that to create the expanded system, vote for this to do more.

Such a tax would not apply where there's any streetcar authority controlled TDD tax in place.

Fund part of the bridge to NKC.
Expansion Studies
ROW acquisition where appropriate along future transit corridors. Like to the airport and stadiums.
Use it to fund studies for commuter rail lines. Easier to go to Clay/Platte and ask for money when bringing funds.
Remove the need of any funding from the KCATA taxes for rail
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Fri Feb 10, 2017 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

A key part of one of the rulings is such a tax didn't actually have to build what was written in the ballot language.
I think the ruling was building not what was on the petition, not the ballot language since that hasn't been written at this time. But whatever is on the ballot language the city would have to fulfill with the tax since that is in essence what the voting public on. But that is not final.
Midkiff’s order gives the city until June 23 to submit its ballot language for Chastain’s proposal.

Once the city’s language is filed, Chastain will have up to five days to object or submit a proposed revision.

One drawback for the city though is the proposed sales tax increases total 1 3/8% within the district. That could be too much for voters within the district to live with.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... rylink=cpy
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

so does anyone think chastain will actually give up this time? he's said that multiple times before. if he does, would richard tolbert actually pick up the torch like he says he will?

the 3/8-cent wouldn't even be enough to build the proposed streetcar expansions, let alone prospect MAX, inclusive of federal funding. there is zero motivation for the city to do anything else but obstruct. i would argue that they're protecting taxpayers. i'd do the same in their position. voters sent them a message in 2006 (albeit with a "free" plan) and they are making good on a substantial part of that plan (the part that actually scores well for federal funding -- sorry, northlanders).

prediction: city submits ballot language at the last minute, chastain objects instead of providing revisions, midkiff orders intentionally flawed language to november ballot where it competes with the 2nd streetcar/MAX election.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

I think the courts threw enough of a victory to the city that he either needs to come back with realistic plans that can actually be built or keep watching them be thrown out.

and no one will keep doing that over and over

I'd like it see him move his focus to the commuter system. Jackson County is on board, someone to push on Platte County next would be helpful. If he could manage to get a vote in the northland which gets anywhere near 50% it could open eyes. Something vague that it would serve the airport to NKC and let the county figure out the best route.

If we want help to fund a MO River crossing we need to show that there's interest in getting to downtown via train and even holding an election would help with that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i don't think any of the area counties allow petition initiatives, and KCMO might be the only local municipality. that's why chastain keeps coming back here.

HOWEVER...

any 50 registered voters can petition to form a TDD. chastain does not qualify to do that since he would not reside here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

If Richard Tolbert is involved--as the local point-man, Chastain's efforts are doomed to fail.
"It offers a clear choice," said Richard Tolbert, who supports a vote on the mass transit bill. "You can get a little bitty system for a full penny. Eight-eighths of a sales tax. Or you can get a big comprehensive system that gets you the airport and eastern (Jackson County) too… for three-eighths of a cent."
http://www.kmbc.com/news/judge-consider ... 960#!0BcRW
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

it should be noted that chastain's plans didn't include commuter rail or streetcars until the city and county started talking about them. his pre-2011 plans were mostly light rail and (later) electric buses.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

FangKC wrote:If Richard Tolbert is involved--as the local point-man, Chastain's efforts are doomed to fail.
"It offers a clear choice," said Richard Tolbert, who supports a vote on the mass transit bill. "You can get a little bitty system for a full penny. Eight-eighths of a sales tax. Or you can get a big comprehensive system that gets you the airport and eastern (Jackson County) too… for three-eighths of a cent."
http://www.kmbc.com/news/judge-consider ... 960#!0BcRW
Makes sense. I was buying pizza last night and I was going to get a pizza for $15, but the guy behind me in line was like, "I'll sell you the whole store for like 10 dollars, dude! Seriously. No strings, no questions asked, no contract, just give me a ten spot and we'll get this shit done."
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 99405.html

at least chastain's vanity plan won't be on august ballot.
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 15828.html

a "tax" will be on the ballot on November.

This one has the potential to make the medical tax failure look tame.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/news/governme ... 69109.html
Question 1 sought a quarter-cent sales tax increase for 25 years for capital improvements. It failed 71 percent to 29 percent, with all precincts reporting in unofficial returns.

Question 2 sought an eighth-cent sales tax increase for 25 years for public transportation. It failed 70 percent to 30 percent.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

chastain has his 1,000+ signatures and the city apparently won't be fighting his "resident" status, so he will appear on the ballot for mayor in the spring. if elected, he claims he would cancel the streetcar (which will be nearly complete) and implement "the people's plan".
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Speaking of the Mayors race, is Sly James pretty much a guarantee to be reelected? He seems to be loved by everyone, the city has seemed to turn a corner with him as mayor as well.