beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: beer.

Post by chingon »

If you are asking which bar, I think its Swagger at 85th and Wornall. Northeast corner in the little flat-iron strip mall.
zlohban
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by zlohban »

Thank you, thank you...will try it next weekend, ended up a McCoys for Mac n Cheese and beer tonight. Thanks again.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

ColumbusParkian wrote: yes Chingon, IPAs were designed to make the trip from Britain, around Africa and to India. The extra hops are a preservative.
While this is true, I can't imagine that Nutcracker starts losing flavor by January...when is it bottled, November?

It would be interesting to see if the "expire" dates are different on seasonal beers than the year-round beers.
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

oh i totally agree that it's probably just marketing. I was just simply agreeing with Chingon that IPAs by design last longer.
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

Good news for our local brewery.  The Boulevard Pilsner won gold at the world beer cup in the American Style Specialty Lager category.  There were 18 other entries in this area.

Scroll down towards the bottom to see this category.

http://www.worldbeercup.org/winners.html
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Category 63: Oatmeal Stout (34 Entries)
Gold Oatmeal Stout
Gella's Diner and LB Brewing Co.
Hays, KS

Never heard of this one. ROADTRIP

Bronze  Munich Dunkles
Blind Tiger Brewery & Restaurant
Topeka, KS

Or this.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

LB Brewing will be at the
Saturday, April 24
PARKVILLE MICROBREW FEST - ENGLISH LANDING PARK IN PARKVILLE, MISSOURI 1-5 P.M.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: Category 63: Oatmeal Stout (34 Entries)
Gold Oatmeal Stout
Gella's Diner and LB Brewing Co.
Hays, KS

Never heard of this one. ROADTRIP
Its been talked about on here before - the Hays brewery is a real gem if you happen to find yourself out that way - decent food too.  The stout stood out and I also remember them having a very nice porter.  The lighter stuff was less remarkable. 

I have never cared much for Blind tiger's stuff, but I have never had the Dunkles.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Yeah, I think Zon won a gold in Witbeir last year and Wheat took gold in the Session Beer in (maybe?) '08.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

Enjoying Crown Valley Brewings (Ste Genevieve, MO) german style hefe witha  slice of orange after doing some major yard and vege garden overhauls. I like these a lot better than the american style unfiltered wheats (although admittedly i'll never turn down a really fresh blvd wheat when in kc...).
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

http://blogs.pitch.com/fatcity/2010/06/ ... nt_lou.php

Schlafly Brewing possibly going to be sold.  owners say ideally it would go to an employee group, and the top brass are exploring options now regarding how to sell the company and have it stay in st. louis...
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

so I've been enjoying a lot of refreshing BLVD Zon lately on my front porch...any suggestions for other good, perhaps more "off the beaten path" Belgian-style witbiers?

Also, I am hoping Schlafy can remain a local StL company and love their presence there (rehabbed buildings in DT and Maplewood, I love it!) but really the only Schlafly beer I truly love is the APA, and occasionally the No. 5, Coffee Stout and Pumpkin.  Does anyone drink Schlafy's standard offerings with any regularity?
are we spinning free?
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

not all that off the beaten path, but i really like New Belgium Mothership Wit.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

rxlexi wrote:...any suggestions for other good, perhaps more "off the beaten path" Belgian-style witbiers?
Magic Hat's sampler pack.  It includes an IPA (which reminds me a bit of Lunar strangely - more malt than expected), No. 9 (which is lightly flavored with apricot - they call it a Pale Ale, I'll call it an Amber), and 2 different Wits that are both tasty.  Magic Hat is an inventive brewery from Burlington, VT and I'm very excited to see them moving into the KC market.  I found the 12 pack in a MO Berbiglia.
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

rxlexi wrote: ...any suggestions for other good, perhaps more "off the beaten path" Belgian-style
Hitachino Nest White Ale

Everything they make is delicious.
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

I'm fond of Unibroue's La Fin Du Monde and Ommegang Three Philosophers.  Neither are, strictly speaking, wits, but they are strong, malty, belgian-style ales and are both great.  Really, anything Unibroue does is wonderful.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

Hoegaarden isn't really off the beaten path in this category, but it's my favorite.  It's a bit lighter than the others mentioned, including Zon, and it's subtle character makes it really refreshing and easy to drink.  Great beer on a summer day.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Hoegaarden isn't really off the beaten path in this category, but it's my favorite.  It's a bit lighter than the others mentioned, including Zon, and it's subtle character makes it really refreshing and easy to drink.  Great beer on a summer day.
And its flavor can conveniently be replicated simply by chewing a pack of Bubblicious while drinking a can of coors light.  Sorry - I just can't take those super sweet wits.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: And its flavor can conveniently be replicated simply by chewing a pack of Bubblicious while drinking a can of coors light.  Sorry - I just can't take those super sweet wits.

Hmmm, I haven't tried this one!  :lol:

Wits aren't really my cup of tea.  Zon, Blue Moon, etc... seem to have too much coriander and floral qualities, which is why I like the Hoegaarden a little more.  Give me an IPA any day.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KC Sporting Life wrote: Give me an IPA any day.
Amen.  Truer words hath never been spoken.