beer.

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Re: beer.

Post by mudjack »

I think the tank 7 is out, but I haven't tried it.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Tried the Boulevard Pilsner...and I'm rather underwhelmed.  I wish they would have gone after a good czech-style pils than a "classic american lager", because IMO the resulting BLVD Pilsner is just...blah.  It's thicker, smoother and has a better mouthfeel than say, a Bud, but tastes pretty similar. 

My main problem is the price...if this stuff were very cheap, like Olathe-based Mac's used to be ($7-9/12 pack), it would be my new go-to cheap ice-cold refreshing beer.  But at $6.49 (what I paid at Cellar Rat), I would MUCH prefer Pale, IPA, Stout, et. al.  Instead, I'll just stick with cold Busch and PBR for that purpose.  Of course, Bud, Miller Lite, etc. all suffer the same problem.  I guess I just expected more out of BLVD...either go all out a make a super-cheap tasteless yard beer...or make a good, thick and golden flavorful pilsner. 

Or perhaps I'm just missing the point entirely.  Either way I love a new BLVD product and I'm happy that they're experimenting creatively from the high-end all the way down to the classic american lager. 
are we spinning free?
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I do think you're missing it a bit. It was a deliberate throwback to the olden days and I think it has much more flavor than Bud, which is a lager by the way. I am not ashamed to say that I have been drinking a lot of Schlitz lately because for a light drinkable beer, it has some decent flavor.  But Schlitz is over $7 everywhere I have seen it. I picked up Blvd Pils at Hy Vee liquor store at 76th and State Line and it was $5.99. That's a damn fine price for any local beer, no matter what style. Shop around on the phone a bit, I bet you'll find it cheaper.  I might actually get a keg of Blvd Pils at my wedding for my redneck Wisconsin family who only drink Busch Light and Hamms. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

had boulevard pilsner in the appropriate context on sunday:  in the 75 degree bliss of loose park, playing fetch with the dog, frisbee, running around, etc.  it tasted awesome. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Its defnintely rich for a pilsner - just not a style I reach for very often. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

chrizow wrote: red x in riverside had about six bottles of it when i was there on the fourth.
pretty sure i saw some saison brett at the liquor store in the little strip mall across from roo, 39 on w. 39th street yesterday.
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

mudjack wrote: I think the tank 7 is out, but I haven't tried it.
I had it at Foundry last week - it was very good. Anyone know the alcohol content?

I heard they had it at Grinders as well - although it will be a cold day in hell before I give any of those retarded servers any of my hard-earned money.

Anyone hear of anywhere else serving it?
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I saw a tap for it at Swagger, at 85th and Wornall
mudjack
New York Life
New York Life

Post by mudjack »

I overheard a server asking a bartender to describe Tank 7 when I was at Jack Stack in the Freighthouse, so I am assuming they have it even though I didn't actually see it there.
AJoD
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by AJoD »

I had it at Waldo Tap Room last week.  It was pretty decent.
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

AJoD wrote: I had it at Waldo Tap Room last week.  It was pretty decent.
i tried a Tank 7 on tap at Grinders.  it was pretty good, definitely had more kick than many boulevard beers.  it was hoppy for a saison, but it also had the straw-y sweetness and the cloudiness of Blvd Wheat.  i did not order a second one, opting instead for a good ol' reliable Pale Ale. 
ColumbusParkian
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by ColumbusParkian »

Flying Saucer is carrying Tank 7, and they also have bottles of Saison Brett tucked away.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

westside local has tank 7. i had two glasses of it tonight. is it much stronger than a wheat? i feel absolutely loopy! after the first sip i really like it, and usually hate pale ales (which is how the server categorized it).
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

DaveKCMO wrote: westside local has tank 7. i had two glasses of it tonight. is it much stronger than a wheat? i feel absolutely loopy! after the first sip i really like it, and usually hate pale ales (which is how the server categorized it).
Technically it is a pale ale - all Saison beers are. Not sure, but I think this has more to do with the addition of the hops as a preservative to keep a winter-brewed beer fresh throughout the summer. Tank 7 is supposed to be the Brett-Saison with a different (non "Brett") yeast and some more hops - I thinik.

Regardless - I agree - it doesn't taste like a pale. At least the way I normally think of one. And at 8.5% it's hardly a traditional Saison. It's very unique and I hope it stays in the permanent Boulevard rotation.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

anyone going to the beerfest at zona rosa on saturday?
Join us for BrewFest presented by Unico Kansas City. Enjoy excellent craft brews, music and food! Participants will receive a commemorative sampling glass and enjoy four-ounce beer samples from participating breweries. Each brewery will have their own booth to serve you some of the best craft and import brews in the world! Admission to the festival is $25 at the gate. Purchase tickets in advance (through August 14th) at Zona Rosa Guest Services for only $20! Click for details!
Enjoy great music during the event including local band Grand Marquis from 3-5:30 p.m. and The Blue Shakers from 6-9 p.m. Participating breweries include:  Boulevard, Leinen Kugel, Blue Moon Brewing Company, Boston Beer, Big Sky Brewing Company, NKC Beverage, 75th Street Brewery, Gordon Biersch, Granite City, Schlatey, O'Fallon's Brewing, Weston Brewing Company, Havanna Moon Cigar, Amerisports Brew, Here's To Beer and KC Beer Meister. Sample over 40 different types of beers. If you wish to just come with friends and not participate in the sampling, you can still come with no admission charge. Only those wishing to sample will need to pay the gate charge. Anyone may come out and enjoy the great music. Food will be available for purchase.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

I had two delicious glasses of BLVD Tank 7 over the weekend - I have to say, it may just be may favorite boulevard beer, at least for the time being.  Of course, part of the magic might have been the sweet boulevard goblet/glass that the beer was served in, or the fact that I can't just run down to the store and buy myself more of the stuff, but goodness I enjoyed it.  A saison with bite is a right-on description.  Just delicious stuff that I wish I could have in my fridge right now :)  It certainly makes up for my mild disappointment with BLVD Pilsner.

On another boulevard note, I seem to have rediscovered Lunar of late, boulevard's long forgotten "other" year-round brew.  I can't get enough of the stuff on these warm summer nights, for whatever reason.  It has a very pleasing, mild yeasty flavor and goes down easy, and has the benefit of being a beer that I CAN get easily at home but NOT out (as so few places seem to have draft Lunar anymore).
are we spinning free?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

rxlexi wrote: On another boulevard note, I seem to have rediscovered Lunar of late, boulevard's long forgotten "other" year-round brew.  I can't get enough of the stuff on these warm summer nights, for whatever reason.  It has a very pleasing, mild yeasty flavor and goes down easy, and has the benefit of being a beer that I CAN get easily at home but NOT out (as so few places seem to have draft Lunar anymore).
I've been drinking it pretty consistently - one of my favorite Boulevard beers. I'm glad they've stuck with it -  not sure how well it sells. It is hard to find on tap - I know Westside Local and Flea Market always have it on tap. I know a few others do - I'll try and remember to keep an eye out and post other places I see it.
loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

As a community service I offer the following:

http://www.kcbeerfest.com/
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

loftguy wrote: As a community service I offer the following:

http://www.kcbeerfest.com/
Too bad - last year they had two. One in Village West and one in the P/L. Now it's just Village West.