NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.

Which would you rather have?

NHL
44%
NBA
56%

Total votes: 195

trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: NHL OR NBA, let the message board decide!!

Post by trailerkid »

I want both!
PJBx24
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by PJBx24 »

Go Miami Heat in the NBA Finals. The Stanley Cup was very fun to watch.
Go HC Falcons!!
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

Ok, now that I had a rare chance to sit down and watch the NHL last night, and the NBA tonight.  I must say, I think still would perfer NBA, but both sports seem really fun!!!!  I would only perfer NBA because Dallas (the losing team) was still in the game until the final seconds.  Unlike the NHL, where after Carolina went up 3-1, you knew they had won.  But, both sports were very fun to watch and the NHL was better than I remembered it before.

So, like I've said all along, I don't care which league comes here, as long as we get one!!!!
KC is the way to be!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

the nba game is still far too slow for my taste.  i don't like watching the awkardness of a bunch of 6'4" guys lumbering down a court while the point guard walks the ball up the floor.  the fast breaks usually come from passes down the court when offensive players leave early on the shot (a terrible way to get an offensive board in case of a miss).  the college game is so far superior it's not even funny, at least they run actual offenses.

nhl by far in my book.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shaffe wrote: the nba game is still far too slow for my taste.  i don't like watching the awkardness of a bunch of 6'4" guys lumbering down a court while the point guard walks the ball up the floor.  the fast breaks usually come from passes down the court when offensive players leave early on the shot (a terrible way to get an offensive board in case of a miss).  the college game is so far superior it's not even funny, at least they run actual offenses.

nhl by far in my book.
I think I just perfer NBA because it's fast-pace.  Or, at least "fast-pace" when compared to hockey.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

sprintcenter.com

NBA - 52
NHL - 48
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

KCPowercat wrote: sprintcenter.com

NBA - 52
NHL - 48
YAY!!  It changed.  And those numbers seem to reflect this thread and what I'm hearing from other people.  It's pretty much a dead heat.
KC is the way to be!
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCPowercat wrote: sprintcenter.com

NBA - 52
NHL - 48

I wonder if they can put up another poll.  Something like, "Would you prefer a Mazerati or a Lamborghini?"

I bet it will be close, but I can't prove that.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Women's Roller Derby.

Read that they will be in Hale Arena next month.  They just might be big enough for SC when it opens.

:)
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
brett
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brett »

Any of you guys notice the production that goes behind the NBA? The marketing, the media, the freaking roster announcement itself is worth going to see a game.

The closest NBA team is Chicago or Dallas. It would draw a good crowd from the whole midwest. Has anyone been to a Blues game in the last 3 years? It's like going to a Royal's game as far as attendence goes.

And finally the NBA playoffs are probably one of the easiest to get into as far as professional sports goes. It would be nice to see a competitive playoff game in this town for once.
Ez Street
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Ez Street »

Just what KC needs another small market team. In the NBA you can forget being competitive. It will most likely be a losing team and eventually fizzle out.

NHL has a great revenue sharing and salary cap. As you saw this year, the teams that used to not compete, now can. Meaning the Small market teams (Edmonton & Carolina, both smalelr than KC) played for the Cup.

The NBA had Miami & Dallas. Obviously not Small Market.

The NBA would be like the Royals.
The NHL would be like the Chiefs.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

Ez Street wrote:
The NHL would be like the Chiefs.
You sure that's a good thing?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Just what KC needs another small market team. In the NBA you can forget being competitive. It will most likely be a losing team and eventually fizzle out.
Why do you say that? The salaries of an NBA are going to be less simply because you're only paying 12 guys. I've never heard salaries being much of an issue. San Antonio is one of the smallest markets in the NBA and have won rings and have kept their superstars Duncan, Parker and Ginobili. Portland, another small market, made the playoffs for 20 years in a row with some great stars. Milwaukee, a market our size, re-signed their superstar Michael Redd.

I think the NHL has a great financial structure. But I fail to see how small markets are suffering under the NBA model. The NBA Players Union is probably the weakest union in all of sports.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

After watching games 6&7 of the Stanley Cup, I'm firmly in the NHL camp now.  Those guys play with more passion.  Give me a bunch of hard working blue-collar type atheletes playing as a team over a bunch of over-hyped over-paid primadonas any day!
Hull-Os
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Hull-Os »

Has anyone been to a Blues game in the last 3 years? It's like going to a Royal's game as far as attendence goes.
That is dead, flat wrong. In 2002-03 and 2003-04, the Blues played in front of 97.6% capacity and ranked in the top 6 in attendance.

Last year, Bill Laurie f'd up the team and the fans, rightly so, stayed away in protest. I'm proud of Blues fans for not supporting a team that did ABSOLUTELY NOTHING during the greatest free agent frenzy in NHL history. Plus, Laurie mandated the team trade away their franchise player, Chris Pronger.

I've been to NHL and NBA games in Dallas and, yes, the game production for the Mavs is outstanding. However, the experience at a Stars game is excellent, too. I hope whichever team we get patterns the teams' game production after the Stars & Mavs.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

49r wrote: After watching games 6&7 of the Stanley Cup, I'm firmly in the NHL camp now.  Those guys play with more passion.  Give me a bunch of hard working blue-collar type atheletes playing as a team over a bunch of over-hyped over-paid primadonas any day!
hell yes 49r
brett
Pad site
Pad site

Post by brett »

49r wrote: After watching games 6&7 of the Stanley Cup, I'm firmly in the NHL camp now.  Those guys play with more passion.  Give me a bunch of hard working blue-collar type atheletes playing as a team over a bunch of over-hyped over-paid primadonas any day!
So...you watched it. And 5 other people watched it.

More people in the US watched the US World Cup games then the Stanley Cup.
skim82
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by skim82 »

So, what is the deal with the NBA salary cap?  Do they have a "soft" cap with penalites??? 
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

brett wrote: So...you watched it. And 5 other people watched it.

More people in the US watched the US World Cup games then the Stanley Cup.
judging the quality of play based on tv ratings the season after a 400 day lockout isn't a very intelligent thing to do...
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

shaffe wrote: judging the quality of play based on tv ratings the season after a 400 day lockout isn't a very intelligent thing to do...
Perhaps KC is best NOT having a league that just had a 400-day lockout.  :?
KC is the way to be!