KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
Stockton
Colonnade
Colonnade

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by Stockton »

There used to be a Bigger Jigger on the southeast corner of 39th and State Line too. I can't recall what's there now though.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I have almost every episode of Mama's Family recorded to VHS, somewhere.  :lol:

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

20/20's John Stossel did a report on why American schools are so bad. Front and center as an example was our own KCMO school district! It was used as an example of how throwing money at the problem doesn't necessarily improve results.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCMax wrote: 20/20's John Stossel did a report on why American schools are so bad. Front and center as an example was our own KCMO school district! It was used as an example of how throwing money at the problem doesn't necessarily improve results.
When was this? Last night..?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Yea. He went through how the judge got control of the school district, ordered more money, and they showed Central's Olympic sized swimming pool. Then mentioned how scores haven't improved much.

The jist of the report was public schools suck, teacher's unions are in the way, and school vouchers are the answers. As a liberal Democrat, I have to say it was pretty convincing.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

I'm unhappy that I missed it. There were clips of the piece on ABC's website, but nothing mentioning KC in those short clips unfortunately.

photoblog. 

ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

KC got another nod tonight on SNL.  There was a skit with a guy using obviously mid-western phrases (although i wonder if people will realize it's a mid-western thing).  The schtick is he's going to buy a ring for his fiancee, and at one point asks Scarlett Johanssen if she's single, and she says she is, and tells him "I just moved to Kansas City" or something like that.

Apparently Jason Sudeikis (one of the cast members, and the character buying the ring) is from OP, a Shawnee MIssion West graduate, and often tries to incorporate references to the KC metro into the sketches he writes or plays in (he set one of his sketches in a bar in Lawrence).  I'm guessing the Eva Longoria "OP" shout out was also because of him.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

KCMax wrote: 20/20's John Stossel did a report on why American schools are so bad. Front and center as an example was our own KCMO school district! It was used as an example of how throwing money at the problem doesn't necessarily improve results.
=D>  That was a good report.  Showed how teacher unions and "tax and spenders" have ruined public schools.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
Sportster
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Sportster »

Joemoney wrote: =D>  That was a good report.  Showed how teacher unions and "tax and spenders" have ruined public schools.
HUbba Hubba! Still trying to figure out why ABC, part of the mainstream liberal media put this piece out! It was like a 60 minute info-mercial for vouchers and the dismantling of the U.S. Dept. of Education. (oxymoron intended)

Sportster
...someone get the wrecking ball
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Sportster, I love the little endings to your posts, they're amusing. I, however, rely on a computer program to "sloganize" me. I guess I'm lazy.

photoblog. 

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

John Stossel is a "libertarian" and every one of his pieces has a very conservative slant to it.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCMax wrote: John Stossel is a "libertarian" and every one of his pieces has a very conservative slant to it.
A few years ago I liked him, but I've since become convinced he's a hack and a quack. He pulled some consummate bullshittery in interviewing Jim Kunstler by means of creative editing - so as to sound like Kunstler was stammering and Stossel was winning the argument, which he was not in reality.

I have zero respect for the news media.

photoblog. 

moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Also was a Bigger Jigger in the seventies block of Troost.  I would guess that would be where those chic Raytownians would hang out.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Tonight on 60 Minutes they did a piece on the world's best video game player - Mark "Fatality" Wendell. He resides in Kansas City, Missouri. Pretty interesting piece on "cyberathletes' and how it is rapidly turning into a spectator sport believe it or not. Maybe we should build a video game stadium instead of a soccer stadium!

chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

2 things:

1. the "bigger jigger" is on 12th, just west of benton blvd.  "tom's bigger jigger" is on st. john.  "jimmy's jigger" is on 39th and st. line.

2. blaming teachers unions for the implosion of public education is some of the most simple-minded propaganda ever unleashed by the political right.  it takes a special kind of hypocrite to have the indecency make such a claim.  and a special kind of sucker to by that sort of bullshit.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCMax wrote: Tonight on 60 Minutes they did a piece on the world's best video game player - Mark "Fatality" Wendell. He resides in Kansas City, Missouri. Pretty interesting piece on "cyberathletes' and how it is rapidly turning into a spectator sport believe it or not. Maybe we should build a video game stadium instead of a soccer stadium!
Dude's name is Johnathan Wendel.  He went to HS at Blue Springs South (go jags)...aparently a year behind me.  I never met the guy, but he's won something like a half a million in tourney prizes from all over the world.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

chingon wrote:2. blaming teachers unions for the implosion of public education is some of the most simple-minded propaganda ever unleashed by the political right.  it takes a special kind of hypocrite to have the indecency make such a claim.  and a special kind of sucker to by that sort of bullshit.
Have to agree with you there. That BS completely whitewashes the various contributing social issues: poverty, classism, racism, hopelessness, bad parenting, etc...which seems typical of the political right. Unfortunately, then the political left comes in and says, "oh, social problems!" and gleefully throws good money after bad, accomplishing nothing at best and exacerbating the problems at worst.

We're all screwed.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
Robafurd
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Robafurd »

please don't ask me how I know this but one of the contestants on "The Bachelor" is from OP. Susan. also, she is hot.  the bachelor himself is a medical student at vanderbilt and all of the Vandy-girls are trying to find him in Nashville and, you know, get him for themselves. 
ryans816
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by ryans816 »

KC skyline shot in the beginning of this trailer here.  The movie seems kind silly tho :P
http://www.csathemovie.com/
MidWestSider
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by MidWestSider »

ryans816 wrote: KC skyline shot in the beginning of this trailer here.  The movie seems kind silly tho :P
http://www.csathemovie.com/
The director is a film professor at KU

Kevin Willmott