We need a new airport!!!

Transportation topics in KC
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Re: We need a new airport!!!

Post by anniewarbucks »

I have drawn a picture of an upgrade that would integrate the existing KCI terminals into a new configuration. This would eleminate the doors leading out to the current pick up points and the access roads inside of the terminals. The security gates would then be moved to the ends of the current terminals with the retail and eating establisments being inside of the security zone. All sharps and banned goods will be sent down to be added to checked baggage.

Last edited by anniewarbucks on Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
No trees were destroyed in the sending of this contaminant- free message.
However, a significant number of electrons have been inconvenienced.
Moving2KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Moving2KC »

en08 wrote: One of the biggest things that concerns me about Kansas City's development is KCI. While our airport is convienient and nice on the inside, it is not adequate anymore for a city of Kansas City's size. First off, it's structure makes it seem small. When people come to Kansas City, they think we are a small city just because our airport doesn't seem that big (in reality it is fairly large, having 90 gates). Also, it is extremley inconvienient for connecting passengers since there is a security checkpoint at EVERY gate, and you have to go through security again to get food, a magazine, or use the bathroom (in some cases). Kansas City would be a PERFECT hub city due to it's central location for a major airline, and probably would easily become a hub if only we had a bigger airport. Memphis, a city half of our size, has a much larger airport, and is thus a hub. So does Salt Lake City. We are in dire need of a new airport-- I know that we just spent alot of money on renovating KCI, but why! The airport is so old, it is not up to date for the 21st century.
1) Not adequate for a city of our size?  Are there not empty gates?
2) Structure makes it seem small?  3 Terminals, each with 20 gates, more or less.  Who are you comparing us to?
3) When people come to KC, they could care less about the airport.  They want to get where they are going.  Their impression of KC depends on where they came from.  It will be one thing if they are from a smaller city, another if they are from New York, LA, or a larger city.
4) On a percentage basis, very few people connect through KC.  As the director says, we are an O/D (origination/destination) city.
5) Memphis' airport isn't necessarily bigger than KC's.  It is a larger airport due to Fedex's hub there.  Northwest's hub in Memphis is relatively small.
6) Yes, I'm sure plans are being studied for expansion.  Every large airport is constantly studying the next 10-20 years.

Not finding fault or flaming.  Just responding. 
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

Moving2KC wrote: 2) Structure makes it seem small?  3 Terminals, each with 20 gates, more or less.  Who are you comparing us to?
i believe each terminal has 30 gates, just to clarify.
Moving2KC
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by Moving2KC »

shaffe wrote: i believe each terminal has 30 gates, just to clarify.
Not really.  They just misnumbered them to make it sound like they had more than they really have.  You can either go to the airport & count or go to Google Earth.  Either way, you don't total 90.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Moving2KC wrote:
4) On a percentage basis, very few people connect through KC.  As the director says, we are an O/D (origination/destination) city.
Ding, ding, ding - here is the problem - We can either continue being a sleepy but conveinient o/d airport, or we could use some of the potential capacity to become much more. 
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

Not knowing the age of the imagery on Google Earth I counted 50 gates in use. I counted 18 empty gates.
anniewarbucks
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by anniewarbucks »

I just got finished drawing up a rendering of a connecting terminal between Terminal B and C. Terminals A and B would look the same except for the lot name. An access road would have to be constructed to connect Bonn Circle to International Circle.

aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Ding, ding, ding - here is the problem - We can either continue being a sleepy but conveinient o/d airport, or we could use some of the potential capacity to become much more. 
Ding, ding, ding, there is a problem but it is not the idea of being an o/d airport.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Ding, ding, ding...
clang, clang, clang!
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

DaveKCMO wrote: clang, clang, clang!
went the trolley!

:-s
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

anniewarbucks wrote: I just got finished drawing up a rendering of a connecting terminal between Terminal B and C. Terminals A and B would look the same except for the lot name. An access road would have to be constructed to connect Bonn Circle to International Circle.
](*,)
I heard there's some good planning & architecture schools around, you might check into those before your next attempt.
49r
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by 49r »

...and I *still* like muffins!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just caught this, but KSHB 41 had a teaser about a story for Tuesday about KCI tearing down the terminals and building a new modern terminal.  That's all I know, but you might catch 41 at ten on Tuesday.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Is there any way to expand the Downtown Airport currently?
How about rebuilding Heartland Airport (I think that was the name)? I know those aren't nearly to the scale that we need in KCI, but I'd just like to see more corporate and private jets/planes going over Downtown.
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

They are expanding Wheeler airport to make it more accessible and convienent for private plane owners.  It is plenty big for corporate jets too.  If the corporate jet community increases then the use of Wheeler wil too.  Look at the NASCAR weekend, the airport is completely packed. 
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

My west windows look out over Wheeler.  I see tons of traffic everyday.  Just look at the right times, there seems to be a morning and late afternoon rush hour of small jets.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Did people notice in the Star today when the SWA person said that Dallas people were using KCI as a transfer stop between Denver? I'm sure they're all  :lol: as we add to our inferiority complex. I think Grid's going to blow!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

trailerkid wrote: Did people notice in the Star today when the SWA person said that Dallas people were using KCI as a transfer stop between Denver? I'm sure they're all  :lol: as we add to our inferiority complex. I think Grid's going to blow!
?
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

GRID wrote: ?
The farm land around KCI...the small terminals
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Speaking of that. I have never flown to DIA, but I can only imagine.  That would have to be the ultimate nowhere to nowhere flight.  You could easily do that flight and not see and civilization from take off to land in either direction.  MCI might even have the edge with Leavenworth.