On-going downtown development projects

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: On-going downtown development projects

Post by FangKC »

DaveKCMO wrote:Los Tules is not planning to sell.
They may not have a choice if the blocks are put under a City redevelopment plan.

I would like to see them retained on the block though, and as Loftguy said, line it with additional restaurants. Not only will people attending events at PAC benefit, but the students at the UMKC Conservatory will if they get their campus put on the opposite corner.
pash
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by pash »

Last edited by pash on Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It doesn't appear in the drawing that Copaken is planning to retain the two-story retail building at 1210 McGee on the NE corner of the block.

We have got to start lobbying Copaken and the City to retain this building.

FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

pash wrote:Another rendering of Copaken's floater for the block north of the arena:

The retail frontage is all wrong. I would go with mostly glass frontage with vertical bands of stone between windows so that light from inside the stores pours out onto the street at night.
LCDSI
New York Life
New York Life

Post by LCDSI »

Is that a rooftop pool in the rendering?
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

FangKC wrote:It doesn't appear in the drawing that Copaken is planning to retain the two-story retail building at 1210 McGee on the NE corner of the block.

We have got to start lobbying Copaken and the City to retain this building.

He comes into my restaurant for lunch often. Maybe I will get our artist in residence to put up a bunch of artistic pictures and paintings of the building all around the restaurant. Make it look really good and stick in his subconscious.

Or I could just try and talk to him about it. That might be a slightly awkward conversation to have while he is eating lunch with his associates though.

If he tears down that building though, lets just say he might regret eating the next bowl of soup he orders.

(Haha just kidding. Everyone, I do not plan on sabotaging his food. I swear. He is really truly a nice guy).
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

pash wrote:The building's cross-sections are not square with the street grid either at the bottom or at the top, though the roof isn't terribly far askew. It's obvious why it's not square at the base; I'm not sure the open space created by the cut-off corner would be very useful, though, without a lot of retail frontage drawing people in. The blank faces of the basketball museum and garage across each street aren't going to help.

Spiral towers look a lot better when they're tall enough to make a half turn or more (180+ degrees), in my opinion. This design looks like it's barely getting started. And there's a huge disparity between the rendering and the words of Copaken's executive VP in describing the amount of rotation; he said there are four degrees of turn at each floor, but it looks like there's only about 45 degrees of turn in all, which is less than two degrees per floor. The rendering also shows 25 floors in the tower, on top of three floors in the plinth, for 28 total floors, not the 25 stated.

But I don't imagine this is a meant to be anything more than a hype-builder in any event.
Yes, the corner cut is stupid. Sadly this technique is used often to create more open space, and designers always envision people using this space all the time to relax in and whatnot, but these spaces are never used. It is usually a pointless feature.

And the height is also a problem. This building needs to be much taller if it is going to have such a unique design. This should be a signature building, not just another one that blends into the skyline. And you're right, the design would indeed look better if it was twisted further.

I'm sick of all these half assed designs being put forth. Go big or go home.

Double the height and this could really be something. And if you don't think we could support a 50 story office building right now (which is probably true), make a portion of it residential or a hotel.

What about a multi-floor, urban theme park :D One that is laid out vertically instead of horizontally. lol. That could take up many floors and would be... interesting.
Last edited by Demosthenes on Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Yes, I give permission to developers other than Cordish to build residential apartments in towers in downtown Kansas City.
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

FangKC wrote:Yes, I give permission to developers other than Cordish to build residential apartments in towers in downtown Kansas City.
You hear that developers of KC? Take note. Fang gives you permission. Now get going. Build us something special.
kcexpress
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by kcexpress »

I would be fine if they demolished the old library building at 1301 McGee and put a mixed use development there. There's more than enough room to put up a 35-45 story hotel / condo with a parking garage and more retail /eateries at ground level!! :twisted:
KCDowntown
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCDowntown »

FYI - my comment is based on the assumption that the pedestal of this new tower is parking (it looks to me like it is). If it is office, then my comment still kind of applies. If it is residential, then it can be happily ignored.

Personally, I am not a fan of the newly-released rendering for the 13th and Grand tower. I am cool with the tower. My issue is that the pedestal of the building occupies the entire block - it mitigates the benefit of the new construction to a large degree. We get a shiny new tower, but at what cost? Everything around that block other than the corner of 13th and Grand would be underused, and only 1 corner would be active for a single use.

Sure you can put in some street-level retail around the pedestal, but who is going to be there to use it a 8:45 on a Tuesday night? Theoretically, will the 160 people who will live in the newly renovated Argyle (in 2016) building support all that retail to keep business open at night? Doubtful.

If the pedestal took up half (or less) the block, it wouldn't be ideal - but it would be a lot better for the city, because some different uses would help activate the street around the building.

KCDowntown
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The green makes me think of H&R Block. Wasn't the original plan to build them a second phase tower. Could this be it?

I want it to be twice as tall, too. Upgrade the glass to something more interesting. I love the ultra reflective silver of the new WTC buildings

They should keep the old building and build out the rest of the block with contrasting, various sized buildings.

They could be connected, but should seem like separate buildings
Demosthenes
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Demosthenes »

kcexpress wrote:I would be fine if they demolished the old library building at 1301 McGee and put a mixed use development there. There's more than enough room to put up a 35-45 story hotel / condo with a parking garage and more retail /eateries at ground level!! :twisted:
1301 McGee? Which building are you talking about? That would be in the middle of the Sprint Center.

I hope you aren't talking about the building with the Zoo in it. Because as you said, there's plenty of room to build a tower, garage, retail, and keep this building.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Demo, the P&L District building on W. 13th between Main and Baltimore was designed to have a second H&R Block tower constructed on top of it. This was before the Crash of 2008, and before H&R Block got into financial trouble with their banking interests and started laying people off instead of expanding. Anyway, those low-rise buildings are designed to have an office tower built over them eventually.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Copaken would be foolish not to design the new building at 12th and Grand to have some retail in the street-level spaces. As I've said before, downtown really needs a stretch of retail space near the Sprint Center that is designed for restaurants--preferably more quick in-and-out ones, because not everyone wants to wait in line for an hour to be seated to eat in the current P&L environment.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Could the white square be the base for a future tower?
flyingember
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by flyingember »

shinatoo wrote:Could the white square be the base for a future tower?
I could see them building a bigger foundation to put 2-3 towers up on the block and building in stages. that would be smart.

like we know the MO Bank garage at 11th and Main is ready for a tower on it
the nasty garage at 9th and Wyandotte is the same way
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

Note that Copaken does not own the building at 1210 McGee. It is owned by Preston Cain, an attorney who has his office on the second floor and may or may not own Zoo Bar as well.
Midtownkid
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by Midtownkid »

The twisting tower design looks much better when the building is tall.

loftguy
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by loftguy »

smh wrote:Note that Copaken does not own the building at 1210 McGee. It is owned by Preston Cain, an attorney who has his office on the second floor and may or may not own Zoo Bar as well.
http://www.theweeklydive.com/2008/08/zo ... ty-mo.html