What can we do for Green. . .

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: What can we do for Green. . .

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: For what its worth, I can walk to my vet and a grocery store that has passion fruit. Come stay in beautiful Mission, KS!
Yeah but how far do you have to drive to get your quilting patterns?   :lol:

Nota - my vet comment was to point out that this is a poor example of something that "needs" to be near you since it is a rare destination.  Obviously your choices are your choices and I think we are all well aware that we aren't going to convince you to move DT any time soon.  

Personally, I am into fly fishing - but I would never choose to move near one of the handful of specialized stores that carry that merchandise since they are all located in auto-centric, euclidian suburbs that would otherwise destroy my mental health.  Anyways, it is becoming much more effective to find specialized hobby-type merchandise online these days; you will find a much better selection and better prices than you can ever find at some special mom and pop store.  
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Price Chopper in Roeland Park most certainly has passion fruit. Their produce section is awesome. And you can easily carry one of those kitty carriers to one of the 4-5 vets on Johnson Drive. (does anyone know why Mission has so many pet-centered businesses? Seriously, you can find 4-5 vets, a 24 hour animal hospital, a pet grooming place, a pet store, a pet photo store all within walking distance of one another!!!)

And it would be a little long of a walk, but you can walk to the Hobby Lobby on Johnson Drive for your quilting patterns!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

nota wrote: BTW-I love Mission, KS and I'm also betting that you couldn't walk to the vet with either of my cats and certainly not with both of them. Not even if the vet was on the same street.
I obviously don't know what your cats are like, but believe it or not, I walk mine two blocks to the Fairway Animal Hospital. I figure that they're going to be in a pissy mood anyway just because it's a trip to the vet, so a stroll down the street in a carrier probably can't upset them any more.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: (does anyone know why Mission has so many pet-centered businesses? Seriously, you can find 4-5 vets, a 24 hour animal hospital, a pet grooming place, a pet store, a pet photo store all within walking distance of one another!!!)
Don't forget the pet-philanthropy thrift store.  I can't think of the name. 
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

^^ Halfy's, which is run by Pet Connection. Unfortunately Halfy died a few months ago, but the store lives on.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCMax wrote: The Price Chopper in Roeland Park most certainly has passion fruit. Their produce section is awesome. And you can easily carry one of those kitty carriers to one of the 4-5 vets on Johnson Drive. (does anyone know why Mission has so many pet-centered businesses? Seriously, you can find 4-5 vets, a 24 hour animal hospital, a pet grooming place, a pet store, a pet photo store all within walking distance of one another!!!)

And it would be a little long of a walk, but you can walk to the Hobby Lobby on Johnson Drive for your quilting patterns!
Come on over and try getting my 18 pound nasty cat into the carrier and carrying her on foot :lol: :lol: . I'm betting you can't - at least not without bloodshed. :lol: My other cat is pretty easy, but the one who is absolutely petrified of the outdoors will get under the king size bed right in the middle and you cannot get her out with any tools or treats or anything else if she thinks you are going to take her anywhere beyond the door. Any other time she is a sweet tempered kitty, but just dont' try taking her outside. It takes two people to take her to the vet. One to drive and one to hold her wrapped in a big beach towel inside a duffle bag with just her head poking out. She has to feel secure. (now you know my deepest darkest secrets)

I've been to that Hobby Lobby several times. It is probably the nicest one in the metro.

As far as pet centered businesses, there must be a demand in that area if there are so many. There are many vets popping up here in the northland, but not so many pet stores. The only one that I liked closed up. And he deserved to close. He didnt' even try to keep customers. And I tried really hard to stay with him for my cat food, etc.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Don't forget the pet-philanthropy thrift store.  I can't think of the name. 
What is that place? What is it about. I might be interested in looking it up when I'm down that way.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: So, you don't live in DT either? That's OK-I dont' live in Olathe. And I'll bet you my next paycheck against yours that you dont' know whether your store has passionfruit or not, but nice try. In fact, I'll bet you don't even know what they look like, how to choose them or what to do with them after you find them.
You are one mean old grandma.  You are happy to keep mentioning how grocery stores in the city are "substandard" but you've likely never been in them.  Many here have noted there are many options they are quite satisified with, but you focus on the negative comments.
nota wrote: And as I said in an earlier post, grocery stores in the city are substandard by the words of many who post here. I have no desire to change. I like one stop shopping. My life isn't for shopping all over town hunting for this and that. I like stores that fill many needs.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KC0KEK wrote: I obviously don't know what your cats are like, but believe it or not, I walk mine two blocks to the Fairway Animal Hospital. I figure that they're going to be in a pissy mood anyway just because it's a trip to the vet, so a stroll down the street in a carrier probably can't upset them any more.
Once I tried to teach my outdoor cat to walk on a leash. My neighbors made fun of me something terrible. He was doing well too. I don't mind the pissy mood. But the other one, I can't carry an 18 pound cat in a 5 pound carrier two blocks when she is thrashing around like a wild animal. She goes waay beyond what I would define as a "pissy mood."  :lol: :lol:
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock+load wrote: You are one mean old grandma.  You are happy to keep mentioning how grocery stores in the city are "substandard" but you've likely never been in them.  Many here have noted there are many options they are quite satisified with, but you focus on the negative comments.
Actually, I have been in at least one. Near Westport, maybe on Valentine road.

I've only quoted posters here who seem to think the stores are very good.

As far as being a mean old grandma, - since you seem to like to call people names, I have broad shoulders, you won't hurt my feelings-I'll just consider the source. .
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

i thought the point of this thread was, "how can one become more green?" -- i.e., a general discussion -- instead of "how can we persuade nota to move to a loft downtown."
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

enough wrote: i thought the point of this thread was, "how can one become more green?" -- i.e., a general discussion -- instead of "how can we persuade nota to move to a loft downtown."
Can't you see the correlation?  The day we convince Nota to move to a loft downtown will be the day that global warming is abated by the chilling effect of hell freezing over. 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Can't you see the correlation?  The day we convince Nota to move to a loft downtown will be the day that global warming is abated by the chilling effect of hell freezing over. 
:lol: :lol: :lol:
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

enough wrote: i thought the point of this thread was, "how can one become more green?" -- i.e., a general discussion -- instead of "how can we persuade nota to move to a loft downtown."
I don't think anyone's trying to convince anyone to move downtown. We're just trying to point out that the 'burbs are a BAD thing for the environment (and an urban environment is better) which some people just can't seem to wrap their head around.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

pittsburghparoyal wrote:Only red herring is the one that exists in your mind.  More people=more consumers=more pollution.  If you can disprove that equation, please do so now.
Here's a better equation, that would probably impact pollution levels much more dramatically and significantly than number of immigrants.  Higher proportion of people living in higher densities = more efficient use of resources/infrastructure = less pollution per capita. 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

nota wrote: Come on over and try getting my 18 pound nasty cat into the carrier and carrying her on foot
see, living in the suburbs causes obesity.  if you lived in the urban core the cat would be a lean 7 pounds.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

chrizow wrote: see, living in the suburbs causes obesity.  if you lived in the urban core the cat would be a lean 7 pounds.
....with 5 underfed kittens (all illiterate) and a dead-beat daddy cat who doesn't take care of his offspring.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

I'll have you both know that my cat was a lean and mean machine till we moved to KC. She used to chase squirrels from the basement windows all the way up and through the rest of the house and onto the screen porch. Of course she was inside and squirrels were outside, but she ran just the same. She just needs some more exercise.

Even at her leanest and meanest, she still weighed about 12 pounds. She's a big girl to start with.

But Chriz, I'll loan her to you to live with you in the city. I'll pay for all the food and vets. The object would be that you could PROVE that the 'burbs make cats fat.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

i was joking.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

chrizow wrote: i was joking.