I can't wait for the new smoking ban in Kansas City!

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: I can't wait for the new smoking ban in Kansas City!

Post by shinatoo »

Anyone who is offended by those of us who call the anti-smoking lobby "Nazis" need to realize that it is based in historical fact.
Although Adolph Hitler had a 25-cigarettes-a-day habit early in life, he eventually came to find the addiction disgusting. Especially once German scientists discovered the link between tobacco and lung cancer, at which point the Fuhrer initiated the first anti-smoking campaign in modern history, and the most successful one throughout WWII.
http://www.cracked.com/article_18378_6- ... pires.html
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

shinatoo wrote: Anyone who is offended by those of us who call the anti-smoking lobby "Nazis" need to realize that it is based in historical fact.
Perfect example of the ad hominem.

You also, unwittingly, invoked Godwin's Law. You, automatically, lose.
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phna wrote: Perfect example of the ad hominem.
Not really - the political connections with facisim are pretty undeniable. 
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Not really - the political connections with facisim are pretty undeniable. 
And also irrelevant.  Because the smoking ban was "voter approved." 
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Not really - the political connections with facisim are pretty undeniable. 
It's ad hominem plain and simple. And a losing argument.

A citing of historical fact(also no source to that was given) doesn't make a valid conclusion. Are you saying that an ordinance passed by a public vote is fascist, or that it was put to a public vote by the Nazis in Germany?

Only an idiot would believe this.  &&&
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

I am not arguing about history I am arguing about schools of political thought. 

Lets see -  a movement aimed at denying liberty and self determination based upon a supreme confidence that the state knows what is best for its citizens better than they do as individuals, all coloured with a tinge of victimhood . . . if it walks like a duck . . .

A thin veneer of democracy in the form of an american style referendom "supported" by some the worst citizen participation in the world does not change the overall political tone of the movement.  A few thousand out of several hundreds of thousands does not truly represnt "the will of the people". 
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: ...  A few thousand out of several hundreds of thousands does not truly represnt "the will of the people". 
I agree.

.:  25 million smokers out of 300 million is not a majority.

You're dopamine brain levels are calling for another cigarette.

Can I offer you an e-cigarette? Doctor recommended--no health risk to you or others!

Jean Paul Sartre
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

phna wrote: I agree.

.:  25 million smokers out of 300 million is not a majority.

You're dopamine brain levels are calling for another cigarette.

Can I offer you an e-cigarette? Doctor recommended--no health risk to you or others!

Fail - I haven't been a smoker for about 15 years.  Like many freedom-loving Americans, I believe in standing up for civil liberties even when I don't have a self-serving interest. 
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Fail - I haven't been a smoker for about 15 years.  Like many freedom-loving Americans, I believe in standing up for civil liberties even when I don't have a self-serving interest. 
A time-honored way to show unconditional support for civil liberties & personal rights is to stand up for fringe groups & minorities... so casting smokers as a minority doesn't exactly help some of the arguments that your opponents are throwing at you! I can think of few defensible groups more reviled than smokers right now, and I'm always wondering what the next vice du jour will be.

Another time-honored tradition is to flout rules that don't seem reasonable. There's still occasional smoking in my workplace -- so long as there are no complaints it will likely continue.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

phna wrote: Perfect example of the ad hominem.

You also, unwittingly, invoked Godwin's Law. You, automatically, lose.
I think you need to look up ad hominem as you are not using it correctly. I was also aware that I was triggering Gordon's Law.

You however, ironically, did use ad hominem in your personal attach on me.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

phna wrote: It's ad hominem plain and simple. And a losing argument.

A citing of historical fact(also no source to that was given) doesn't make a valid conclusion. Are you saying that an ordinance passed by a public vote is fascist, or that it was put to a public vote by the Nazis in Germany?

Only an idiot would believe this.  &&&

I did source my argument.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

^^   :lol: A parrot is not a source. Im sure there is an objective historical reference or scientific study more credible than CRACKED.COM.

It superfluous per Godwin's Law,but, I'll even give you one anyway.

"Conclusion
Policies on tobacco in Nazi Germany are much more complex than is often represented by those who invoke them to condemn those seeking to reduce the burden of disease caused by smoking."

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2441844/
Last edited by phna on Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean Paul Sartre
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Like many freedom-loving Americans, I believe in standing up for civil liberties even when I don't have a self-serving interest. 
Nice work Dr. King.   Remember, we're talking about smoking cigarettes in public places.  

On the "civil liberties" scale, I'd say smoking ordinances rank right down there with seat belt, and cell phone laws.    

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

KC-wildcat wrote: Nice work Dr. King.   Remember, we're talking about smoking cigarettes in public places.  

On the "civil liberties" scale, I'd say smoking ordinances rank right down there with seat belt, and cell phone laws.    
Or the fascist laws that prevent me from going without pants in public!

Pants indeed! You know, the Nazis also made people wear certain garments!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

KCMax wrote: Or the fascist laws that prevent me from going without pants in public!

Now that you mention it, laws that mandate pants-wearing are about as useless as anti-smoking laws.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

KCMax wrote: Or the fascist laws that prevent me from going without pants in public!

Yes because god knows that in non-nanny states thousands of people are savagly injured or killed through the victomization of having to view the bare human flesh.  We also know America is filled with people who desperately want to walk around without pants but somehow find the restraint not to out of fear of getting some misdemeanor fine. 
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

guys, Lenexa doesn't even think there should be food safety laws...just to let you know what you are arguing against, of course he's not going to believe in smoking bans.

http://forum.kcrag.com/http://www.kcrag ... 54#p414854
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Like many freedom-loving Americans, I believe in standing up for civil liberties even when I don't have a self-serving interest. 
I am not sure that smoking is a civil liberty.  Yes, you may define it as such but I think it is a very long stretch to give it that status.

Of course, maybe I have a civil liberty of having the freedom to walk down the street without having a person smoking a cigarette, cigar, or pipe in front of me or even have the smell of smoke on the person's clothes.  That may be a self-serving interest on my part but if smokers are free to use the civil liberty argument then I am free to counter that argument.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
KC-wildcat
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KC-wildcat »

Yeah, smoking is obviously not a civil liberty.  And Lenexa knows that.  That's why his statement was a bit surprising. 

Con Law 101.  What do'ya think?  rational basis scrutiny? 
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yes because god knows that in non-nanny states thousands of people are savagly injured or killed through the victomization of having to view the bare human flesh.  We also know America is filled with people who desperately want to walk around without pants but somehow find the restraint not to out of fear of getting some misdemeanor fine.  
I'm not sure what the first sentence is supposed to mean, but the second...yea, they're called "nudists." And second of all, is it only a civil liberty if thousands of people want to do it? How many people have to want to do it before its a civil liberty?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag