I can't wait for the new smoking ban in Kansas City!

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: I can't wait for the new smoking ban in Kansas City!

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

staubio wrote: Barring any regulation on smoking, there would be one or two businesses that a person wanting to ensure a smoke-free environment could ever go to.
Lack of diverse choices in discretionary destinations due to low demand does not equal being forced to enter. 
KCKev
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCKev »

Seems for most people, the only safe place is to stay home with the doors locked!
So much tobacco smoke, car exhaust,swine flu,homeless trash etc. What a life I tell ya!
If you're not on the EDGE, you're taking up TOO MUCH ROOM!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wonder if the first few years of food safety laws met this type of resistance of "free will"?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

KCPowercat wrote: Wonder if the first few years of food safety laws met this type of resistance of "free will"?
There is no comparison whatsoever.

There was never an option of "botulism or no botulism".  Food safety laws exist to protect people from hazards that are imperceptible to the public and are not advertised.  Quite a bit different situation than a place that says "Smokers Welcome" at the door.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Should there be DUI laws?  Indoor noise level restrictions? 

In my mind, I should be able to walk into a public business and not have my health impacted.  Silly I know.

mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Best close up those skydiving businesses. Your health might be impacted!
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Lack of diverse choices in discretionary destinations due to low demand does not equal being forced to enter. 
There was demand, people just weren't demanding.

Interestingly enough, though, it is the few bars that were smoke free previously that I go to less now, since I don't have to count on them.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

mean...if those skydivers were jumping onto people they probably would be shut down.

should industrial plants have restrictions on the levels of pollution they pump into the air?  If you don't like pollution you can always movve to montana.

butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

Shouldn't we ban bbq competitions and bbq restaurants? Does this smoke poise a risk to it's employee, and surrounding neighbors? Shouldn't we stop building houses with fireplaces or stop selling wood burning stove?

http://www.sparetheair.org/~/~/link.asp ... 47277&_z=z

http://www.sparetheair.org/~/media/E763 ... 9B1DE.ashx
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

feel free to start up that movement if its important to you.

butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

KCPowercat wrote: feel free to start up that movement if its important to you.

I could give a shit less, "just stating the facts Ma'am"
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

you have a point...if you find any bbq restaurants pumping their smoke into the dining room, then it would even be a valid point.

LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Why all of this rubbing in now?

The Brown Shirts won a proud day for facisim in the ongoing war on personal responsibility.  Why the need to keep grinding your heal into the hearts of those few of us who still think freedom and liberty are important ideals?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

ha....so dramatic.

I have no idea how this topic came back up, I just think its funny.

butter_breath
New York Life
New York Life

Post by butter_breath »

KCPowercat wrote: you have a point...if you find any BBQ restaurants pumping their smoke into the dining room, then it would even be a valid point.
Have you ever seen anyone wear protection around a BBQ pit? Are they not employees? Do they deserve less consideration than a cocktail waitress and a bartenders? How would KC's Image be tarnished if from this day forward everyone associated with BBQ had to wear a protective mask? Could you see the front page of the Star if Obama came to town and dinned at Arthur Bryant's and the pit master was in the back ground dawning a gas mask? Could you hear "Hi! how may I help you" under the mask? What if all the kids that live in Parade park had to wear a mask when they went outside to play, just so KC could keep it's BBQ image. Gosh If we lost that what would we have, two bar districts, (Westport & the P&L) and a shopping district (Plaza)?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

we would be ruined.  You've uncovered the downfall of the great KC empire.

bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

butter_breath wrote: Have you ever seen anyone wear protection around a BBQ pit? Are they not employees? Do they deserve less consideration than a cocktail waitress and a bartenders? How would KC's Image be tarnished if from this day forward everyone associated with BBQ had to wear a protective mask? Could you see the front page of the Star if Obama came to town and dinned at Arthur Bryant's and the pit master was in the back ground dawning a gas mask? Could you hear "Hi! how may I help you" under the mask? What if all the kids that live in Parade park had to wear a mask when they went outside to play, just so KC could keep it's BBQ image. Gosh If we lost that what would we have, two bar districts, (Westport & the P&L) and a shopping district (Plaza)?
Do wood chips contain cyanide, ammonia, acrolein, and formaldehyde?  Also, do people go to restaurants because of the cigarette smoke or because of the food?  I can't bring a trombone into McDonalds and start blaring away, but if I go to Jazz, and they have hired a band... apples and oranges.  If you can convince me that restaurants would hire workers to smoke cigs all day, just so their customers would feel better, then you may have a point... actually, no, you still would have no point.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: The Brown Shirts won a proud day for facisim in the ongoing war on personal responsibility.  Why the need to keep grinding your heal into the hearts of those few of us who still think freedom and liberty are important ideals?
To be able to smoke concerns freedom and liberty.  Gimme a break.

Where in the constitution does it give the individual the freedom to smoke?  Much like one does not have the freedom to inject illegal drugs into one's body or to drive over 100 on a highway without traffic and many other restrictions imposed on citizens there are limitations to our freedoms and liberties.  And those limitations are determined by political methods or sometimes via judical decisions.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

aknowledgeableperson wrote:Much like one does not have the freedom to inject illegal drugs into one's body or to drive over 100 on a highway without traffic and many other restrictions imposed on citizens there are limitations to our freedoms and liberties.  And those limitations are determined by political methods or sometimes via judical decisions.
Those limitations are stupid. Inject away, drive over 100... doesn't hurt me. Have fun! Smoke in a bar... I won't go there.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

mean wrote: Those limitations are stupid.
so is the notion that limiting smoking in public places infringes on liberty and freedom.
I may be right.  I may be wrong.  But there is a lot of gray area in-between.