P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: P&L District: 12th & Main Site Proposal

Post by trailerkid »

ignatius wrote: That place needs to be gutted and overhauled.  Too cold and uninviting.  Starbucks may as well take it over as it has more exposure than one across street. 
this is the best idea I've heard yet. or what about caribou or dunn bros.?

the main problem with another coffee exclusive business is the corner would be dark all hours outside M-F 9-5. i'm not sure that's a bad thing at this point.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I'm really surprised Starbucks didn't take over the space where Jason's Deli is in the City Center building when it was still empty--before P&L got built.  It has outside patio space that overlooks Main. It would be a much better setup than where they are now.

A downtown Starbucks needs a big outdoor space with umbrella tables.
There is no fifth destination.
darin
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by darin »

LatteLand under negotiations to take over former Saavy space, per Joyce Smith. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

darin wrote: LatteLand under negotiations to take over former Saavy space, per Joyce Smith. 
this would be a best case scenario. especially if they get latteland to offer expanded hours.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

where will the outdoor seating go? fail.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: where will the outdoor seating go? fail.
downtown can have more than one coffee shop. Fran's serves coffee drinks as well as smoothies and don't they have a patio?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

trailerkid wrote: downtown can have more than one coffee shop. Fran's serves coffee drinks as well as smoothies and don't they have a patio?
yes, it can -- and it does. they all close by 6 and none are open sundays. none of them have outdoor seating to rival the standard-issue cariboustarscooterland in any other part of the city.

and yes, fran's does have coffee drinks on the menu. lots of restaurants serve coffee drinks. would you go there just for a coffee drink if there were a latteland across the street?

it's not like the savvy space has some big history as a coffee spot.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

DaveKCMO wrote: yes, it can -- and it does. they all close by 6 and none are open sundays. none of them have outdoor seating to rival the standard-issue cariboustarscooterland in any other part of the city.

and yes, fran's does have coffee drinks on the menu. lots of restaurants serve coffee drinks. would you go there just for a coffee drink if there were a latteland across the street?

it's not like the savvy space has some big history as a coffee spot.
no. but i'd go there if i demanded a patio, a latte and there wasn't a latte land across the street. i also thought the mixx served coffee.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It's really pathetic, and a gross oversight by Cordish, that the P&L District doesn't have a big coffee house with plenty of outdoor seating (preferably in a good place to people-watch).  The best place would have been right inside KC Live, or right across from the MainStreet Theater, or Sprint Center. The coffee house should also have entertainment, readings, and such. Not everyone wants to drink alcohol when they go out.

Perhaps Copaken can remedy this situation with his project at 13th and Grand (if it ever happens).
There is no fifth destination.
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

FangKC wrote: It's really pathetic, and a gross oversight by Cordish, that the P&L District doesn't have a big coffee house with plenty of outdoor seating (preferably in a good place to people-watch).  The best place would have been right inside KC Live, or right across from the MainStreet Theater, or Sprint Center. The coffee house should also have entertainment, readings, and such. Not everyone wants to drink alcohol when they go out.

Perhaps Copaken can remedy this situation with his project at 13th and Grand (if it ever happens).
Wouldn't the perfect spot for a Latteland/Starbucks be the old Bice Cafe space across from Chipotle?  I'd  be gunning for that space though during cold/extreme hot weather there is not much indoor seating. 
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

geeman68 wrote: Wouldn't the perfect spot for a Latteland/Starbucks be the old Bice Cafe space across from Chipotle?  I'd  be gunning for that space though during cold/extreme hot weather there is not much indoor seating. 
I have to wonder whether or not a coffee house could generate enough income to pay for itself and that relatively large space.  Of course, it's better for Cordish to have some income rather than let the place sit empty.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

^^^ I assume he's talking about the former Bice cafe space, which would make for a perfect P&L coffeeshop.  I've always thought a Roasterie Cafe would be prefect in P&L, but I'm cheering for a Latteland too.  DT NEEDS a good coffeeshop, with real coffeeshop hours (stupid DT Teadrops and closing at like 5:30!! what a joke!).
are we spinning free?
geeman68
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by geeman68 »

But I do so enjoy Tea Drops!  I go there over lunch sometimes.  :)
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

That is Fu*&ing awesome. I love it.
TfromKC
Pad site
Pad site

Post by TfromKC »

If this is the sister store of the cleaners in Leawood I'm thinking of, they are awesome. They have an organic/green cleaning process where they don't use harmful chemicals. Your clothes don't smell like they've been dry cleaned. A little more expensive than some places, but worth it as your clothes last longer and look and smell better.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I use hangers KC...organic and deliver both ways.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Angel
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Angel »

The people working at LatteLand on The Plaza the weekend said it would be opening mid-August and were very excited to have a store downtown.  I asked about weekend and evening hours and they said they weren't sure but would assume the hours would be similar to their other locations and that they'd be open on both Saturday and Sunday.

side note: While I was there with an out of town friend, she wanted me to take picture of her with her phone and while I was trying to take her picture, Mayor Funk came in and was wandering around behind her...every time I tried to take the picture he would wander back in to the shot.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Funk Bomb! 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Latteland in 2 weeks as per Joyce Smith. It'll be great to have a store there at that corner with some local/regional name recognition.

@Lattelandkc is doing updates:
http://tweetphoto.com/38521242