Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Transportation topics in KC

How will you vote on Chastain's LRT proposal?

I will vote Yes!
56%
I will vote No!
26%
I don't vote!
5%
I don't live in KCMO
12%

Total votes: 148

DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Clay Chastain coming back with light rail

Post by DaveKCMO »

Petrol would have to double to deter [UK] drivers

Petrol prices would have to nearly double before drivers would consider switching to public transport, according to a poll on Monday.

Research for car insurer esure showed the tipping point would not come until the average price reached 1.83 pounds a litre from about 95.6 pence now.

The "Carry on Pumping" poll also found there was a substantial hard core of motorists (55 percent) who said they would never switch, whatever the petrol price.

"Public transport may never overtake people's preference for their own cars, whatever the cost," said esure's Mike Pickard.

"For many people, the absence of cheap public transport means a car is essential in their lives and virtually any price will be paid for petrol," the insurer's head of risk and underwriting added in a statement.

The poll by ICM of 644 drivers in May found that 37 percent of respondents would not consider replacing their car with a more fuel-efficient or environmentally friendly car in the next three years.

In addition, 79 percent have not changed their attitude towards buying petrol, despite recent price hikes. Although there are fuel-saving techniques drivers can adopt, 72 percent of drivers do not know what they are and a fifth say they cannot be bothered to put them into practice.

http://today.reuters.co.uk/news/newsArt ... PETROL.xml
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

"This research, funded by a car insurance company says that people will never give up their cars..."
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bbqboy
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by bbqboy »

Back to an original Question;
If you could run LRT and streetcars-where would you put the routes?
Last edited by bbqboy on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You guys should really save it.

You will waste the next year,five years, whatever talking about transit in KC.

If we are lucky, we might pave one of our nasty gravel commuter lots by 2012.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

The more I hear about the possibilities of PRT, the more it scares me that it will further exacerbate sprawl and decentralization.  That, to me, is the big and largely unquantifiable benefit to LRT -- density and a forced corridor.  If we can get anywhere at 200 MPH, why not commute from Topeka or Lawrence to KC?  The idea of downtowns being convenient and full-service will be dead forever as there will be no need for that kind of density when you can get somewhere else in seconds.

Scary.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

staubio wrote: The more I hear about the possibilities of PRT, the more it scares me that it will further exacerbate sprawl and decentralization.  That, to me, is the big and largely unquantifiable benefit to LRT -- density and a forced corridor.  If we can get anywhere at 200 MPH, why not commute from Topeka or Lawrence to KC?  The idea of downtowns being convenient and full-service will be dead forever as there will be no need for that kind of density when you can get somewhere else in seconds.

Scary.
that might be why i have an uneasy feeling about PRT. however - maybe it will encourage walkability (on a smaller scale) and what results is not as catastrophic as you might think. then again, it's not been tested. i do see a slippery slope between individual automated pods on rails and individual automated pods on existing infrastructure - roads...
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

warwickland wrote: that might be why i have an uneasy feeling about PRT. however - maybe it will encourage walkability (on a smaller scale) and what results is not as catastrophic as you might think. then again, it's not been tested. i do see a slippery slope between individual automated pods on rails and individual automated pods on existing infrastructure - roads...
I guess we can take solace in the fact that, eventually, we'll scale down development to be on the human scale again.  Whether that results in density or not is hard to tell.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

The thing is, density will be determined by market forces no matter what we build. People are moving to the city now, and will continue to, because they want to. We need to give all these people a more viable transit option. And when we do, more and more people will move to the city and density will only continue to increase.

I don't see it exacerbating sprawl and decentrilization, I see the opposite. Why would we force density down a single measly corridor, when we can encourage density all over the place? It will always be more convenient to utilize PRT for people living in more densely developed areas, because the density of the population will determine the density of the portals. Less dense areas around portals will become more dense, and as they do it will be easy to add more portals. Try that with light rail...

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't build Park and Rides in suburban areas. Indeed, we should do that, so people can come to the city without clogging it up with cars, and can get around easily anywhere they need to go. They might even like it enough to move.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

GRID wrote: You guys should really save it.

You will waste the next year,five years, whatever talking about transit in KC.

If we are lucky, we might pave one of our nasty gravel commuter lots by 2012.
And while you sit and bitch and moan, some of us might actually do something...imagine that...

Or we might not. But at least we're talking about it. If you don't have something constructive or useful to say, why bother saying anything? Go sit around and feel sorry for yourself or something.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

mean wrote: The thing is, density will be determined by market forces no matter what we build. People are moving to the city now, and will continue to, because they want to.
i would argue that proper planning could encourage density above and beyond market forces, and that people are also choosing density for reasons beyond economics. it's [also] not as if we are living in a completely free market, and in my opinion it would be dangerous to slaughter the sacrifical lamb upon the alter of neo-classical econ. (over the top, i know.  :lol:)
Last edited by warwickland on Wed Jun 14, 2006 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

mean wrote: And while you sit and bitch and moan, some of us might actually do something...imagine that...

Or we might not. But at least we're talking about it. If you don't have something constructive or useful to say, why bother saying anything? Go sit around and feel sorry for yourself or something.
I have done something, I've done a lot.  I've spent many hours and days over the past 20 years trying to bring a better transit system to KC all the while watching just about every other city in the nation actually build or expand theirs in less time than we can dust off our latest study and think about adding a few bus routes.  I grew up on the Metro, it's was my mode of transportation till I graduated from college.

I guess I'm burnt out on it and truly don't think I will see anything serious happen before I die and it's a bit disheartening because transit and transportation planning is what I do for a living.

Clay Chastain is the only person that has had any real vision on this issue.  Sure, he really doesn't know what he's doing or know how to get along with others etc, but he has kept the issue at least thought about.

We don't need commuter rail either, if it comes as part of a comprehensive regional system, fine, but we need a core transit system (fixed rail or true BRT) and we need feeder lines of buses and even light rail.  We especially need basic infrastructure on both the transit and traffic sides to support any sort of transit system from "real" park and rides to "real" transit centers to more HOV lanes (or at least bypass ramps) to bike and ped trails that tie it all together.

We can't do any of that till we at least figure out that we are one city not 50 cities in two states when it comes to funding it and that KCMO will require the vast majority of such regional funding for the entire system to make any sense.  I see it now, in order to get joco on board, we will end up spending 400 million on a damn commuter rail line along 35 that moves 900 people a day during peak hours while we still run max (regular city buses) in rivercrownplaza...

Transit is one of KC's downsides, that's all.

But seriously good luck, I hope something happens someday and vote yes on whatever chastian can get on the ballet till he forces the metro's leaders to do it themselves.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Jun 14, 2006 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

mean wrote: The thing is, density will be determined by market forces no matter what we build. People are moving to the city now, and will continue to, because they want to. We need to give all these people a more viable transit option. And when we do, more and more people will move to the city and density will only continue to increase.

I don't see it exacerbating sprawl and decentrilization, I see the opposite. Why would we force density down a single measly corridor, when we can encourage density all over the place? It will always be more convenient to utilize PRT for people living in more densely developed areas, because the density of the population will determine the density of the portals. Less dense areas around portals will become more dense, and as they do it will be easy to add more portals. Try that with light rail...

But that doesn't mean we shouldn't build Park and Rides in suburban areas. Indeed, we should do that, so people can come to the city without clogging it up with cars, and can get around easily anywhere they need to go. They might even like it enough to move.
Market forces are dictated by needs and wants and scarcity and all of that economic magic, and the need or desire for dense development is derived largely from time utility and quality of life resulting from quick access to services and entertainment.  Remove the barriers to achieving both and you remove some of the economic value of dense development.

Just being hypothetical, here.  I could see myself being more willing to locate in Roeland Park for half the cost of my condo if I knew I could hop a pod and be at the Opera in a matter of minutes -- less time than it would take me to walk from my current River Market home.
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

GRID - folks don't get burned out caring about transit in KC, i mean everyone is so open minded that it is a pleasure to share knowledge on the subject.  :^o
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

mean wrote: "This research, funded by a car insurance company says that people will never give up their cars..."
Maybe the could sell "commuter insurance" for when you get mugged on public transit.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

:-s
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

justin8216 wrote: Maybe the could sell "commuter insurance" for when you get mugged on public transit.
Maybe they could throw in werewolf mauling insurance and dracula attack insurance for a discount with that policy.
beccanator
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by beccanator »

Did anyone watch Ruckus on KCPT tonight? Among other discussions (complaints about the new Star format, etc), Chastain was a main topic of discussion. Once again, rather than focusing on the concept of rapid transit, the panel spent almost the entirety of the segment criticizing Chastain personally, claiming that he has "no life" and throwing out the motto "I petition, therefore I am".

Why do so many Kansas Citians feel the need to focus so deliberately on the negative (if, in fact, it is so negative) rather than viewing the big picture and gleaning some inspiration from those who are repeatedly willing to invest time and energy in an idea, a form of which may prove to be feasible/beneficial for the region?

On the positive note, MARC's and ATA's work on the SmartMoves plan was mentioned as well as the success of the MAX and the increased ridership over the past quarter. These things, however, were fleetingly mentioned and then the chuckles and personal criticisms continued.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

beccanator wrote: Did anyone watch Ruckus on KCPT tonight? Among other discussions (complaints about the new Star format, etc), Chastain was a main topic of discussion. Once again, rather than focusing on the concept of rapid transit, the panel spent almost the entirety of the segment criticizing Chastain personally, claiming that he has "no life" and throwing out the motto "I petition, therefore I am".

Why do so many Kansas Citians feel the need to focus so deliberately on the negative (if, in fact, it is so negative) rather than viewing the big picture and gleaning some inspiration from those who are repeatedly willing to invest time and energy in an idea, a form of which may prove to be feasible/beneficial for the region?

On the positive note, MARC's and ATA's work on the SmartMoves plan was mentioned as well as the success of the MAX and the increased ridership over the past quarter. These things, however, were fleetingly mentioned and then the chuckles and personal criticisms continued.
I saw a part of it, why is that show so damn joco biased, it's drives me nuts, get rose out of there.

The new Star is great IMO and chastain is more of a leader than 95% of our elected officials.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

Rose is a refreshing change from Yael Blue Shirt Abholakah.  They seriously need someone younger and urban minded on there.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Really. I don't think any of the panelists live near downtown. Woody Cozad lives in the northland, Mary O'Halloran lives in JoCo, Yael lives near Raytown. I'm not sure where Deborah Holmes lives.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag