KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Fixing the KC Zoo (ongoing)

Post by trailerkid »

An editorial from the Star...
Keep up momentum on improvements

Attendance at the Kansas City Zoo is up. Revenues are beating expectations. And plans are in place to add animals and repair parts of the aging zoo.

Not bad for Randy Wisthoff's first year as director.

However, the zoo has a long way to go before it can finally become a leading attraction rather than an afterthought for many Kansas Citians.

Complaints about long walks in the sprawling zoo and the scarcity of animals — common since it expanded in the early 1990s — have frustrated many people and cut into repeat visits. Several animal deaths and the near-loss of accreditation had damaged the zoo's public image.

Enter Wisthoff, who had extensive experience at the renowned Henry Doorly Zoo in Omaha. He appears to understand the criticisms about the Kansas City facility and is taking logical steps to address the concerns.

Wisthoff has spruced up the aging zoo, put forward an ambitious master plan, and this year helped persuade voters to approve a $30 million bond issue for capital improvements.

In the coming months, zoo officials need to put more animals closer to the main entrance and cut down walking times between interesting exhibits. They must keep faith with voters by using the first $10 million of bond funds to repair aging water lines and roofs, add a better petting zoo in the children's area and build a walkway from the main entrance to the elephant exhibit.

The zoo also ought to try to more quickly build its polar bear exhibit. It was the major promised attraction used to entice voter enthusiasm during the bond campaign. The $11 million project will require the use of bond money scheduled to be released in the next few years. The exhibit is not expected to open until 2009.

However, if sufficient private money could be raised in the next year, the zoo could use it to construct the exhibit earlier. Bond money from later years would be allocated for projects in the master plan.

Zoo attendance will be almost 470,000 this year. That is 10 percent higher than in 2003, reversing a five-year slide. But it's still a far cry from the recent peak of 714,000 in 1998. And Wisthoff's former zoo in Omaha has averaged an annual attendance of 1.3 million over the last 10 years.

That's a good reminder of how much drawing power a good zoo could have in Kansas City, too.

© 2004 Kansas City Star and wire service sources. All Rights Reserved.
http://www.kansascity.com
hermit
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hermit »

KCPowercat wrote:well historically KC's weiners are bigger than STL's....so checkmate
Dude it's true.. my dong is huge.

St. Louis residents really need to stop trying to seperate themselves from KC ones.
People on the East and West coast are equally arrogant towards both cities.

We need to support the other Midwest cities to get rid of this East/West coast bias that runs rampid in the media.
Sprint© long-distance?
No, thank you.  I would prefer to have clowns fondle me.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Michael® wrote:Give up on the zoo already and let's build it alongside Union Station. It's time to put a bullet in that nag and start over. The location is as stupid as Truman Sports Complex and Kemper Arena. Put the zoo in an accesible location with other amenities and people will come. What they won't do is go to unsafe, innaccesible Swope Park and walk forever while seeing nothing and smelling everything.
At some point this needed to be said. Part of the problem with the Zoo is its location. However, look at the location of Omaha's Zoo-- definitely not ideal.

I don't really care about zoos and don't really see the big deal, but they are a nice asset for little kids and I would like to see the Zoo become a major attraction.
hermit
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hermit »

I say we scrap worlds of fun, sell the rides and theming (like we did with the Zambi-zee-zinger (sp?) etc. and build a new amusement park (a six flags, perhaps?) in Swope Park.
Sprint© long-distance?
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

the zoo should be downsized, with many of the animals being returned to reserves in their home countries (especially the elephants, their in a pen that although long is only about twice their width ((and who knows the size of the pen during winter months))) I wouldn't mind if they turned most of that land into a reserve of animals native to the area((so they wouldn't be getting penned up during winter or anything)). Repopulate it with native species like buffaloes and stuff so they can roam freely (yellowstone style). And to keep things interestings maybe, throw a chimp or two in there to see what the hell it does. Then have guide lead safari tours through it, now that would be cool. Maybe have a petting zoo for the kiddies, and have the remaining animals (from the old zoo) become a touring zoo. You transport them into a vastly reduced urban zoo in the west bottoms for the summer (when most people go to the zoo in the first place) and then transport them to chill on a reserve in Mexico for the rest of the year. bada bing, there you go.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
hermit
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by hermit »

ComandanteCero wrote:the zoo should be downsized, with many of the animals being returned to reserves in their home countries (especially the elephants, their in a pen that although long is only about twice their width ((and who knows the size of the pen during winter months))) I wouldn't mind if they turned most of that land into a reserve of animals native to the area((so they wouldn't be getting penned up during winter or anything)). Repopulate it with native species like buffaloes and stuff so they can roam freely (yellowstone style). And to keep things interestings maybe, throw a chimp or two in there to see what the hell it does. Then have guide lead safari tours through it, now that would be cool. Maybe have a petting zoo for the kiddies, and have the remaining animals (from the old zoo) become a touring zoo. You transport them into a vastly reduced urban zoo in the west bottoms for the summer (when most people go to the zoo in the first place) and then transport them to chill on a reserve in Mexico for the rest of the year. bada bing, there you go.
I think you miss out on a lot of profits from schools with a temporary zoo.

Metro area schools take a lot of field trips to the zoo and I think you lose some credibility by blatantly saying your zoo is not entertaining enough to turn a profit in the winter.
Sprint© long-distance?
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Zoos? Over-rated. I've got the Animal Planet channel.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

ComandanteCero wrote:the zoo should be downsized, with many of the animals being returned to reserves in their home countries (especially the elephants, their in a pen that although long is only about twice their width ((and who knows the size of the pen during winter months))) I wouldn't mind if they turned most of that land into a reserve of animals native to the area((so they wouldn't be getting penned up during winter or anything)). Repopulate it with native species like buffaloes and stuff so they can roam freely (yellowstone style). And to keep things interestings maybe, throw a chimp or two in there to see what the hell it does. Then have guide lead safari tours through it, now that would be cool. Maybe have a petting zoo for the kiddies, and have the remaining animals (from the old zoo) become a touring zoo. You transport them into a vastly reduced urban zoo in the west bottoms for the summer (when most people go to the zoo in the first place) and then transport them to chill on a reserve in Mexico for the rest of the year. bada bing, there you go.
Part of the reason the Zoo went under is because they went too "natural." In my opinion, Zoos in general need to be abolished unless they are protecting endangered species-- and in that case you wouldn't care about how many people pass through the gates.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I don't know if this has been mentioned in the four pages of this thread yet, but one of my friends from Omaha says that one reason the Omaha Zoo is world class is because Omaha has more millionaires per capita than any other city in the U.S. I guess Warren Buffett and a couple of his Omaha buddies fund that thing to make it world class.

Just what I heard...
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
Joemoney
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Joemoney »

KCMax wrote:Omaha has more millionaires per capita than any other city in the U.S. I guess Warren Buffett and a couple of his Omaha buddies fund that thing to make it world class.

Just what I heard...
I wouldn't go that far, but in terms of per capita wealth, Omaha is loaded. To give you an example, according to Forbes magazine the KC metro area has 3 Forbes 400 members, and Omaha also has 3 (even though we should have 5, because I've found two others Forbes hasn't found yet).

The local Omaha newspaper also once said that Warren Buffett has created wealth of atleast 100 million dollars for about 150 different families, EACH. That's 150 families EACH for atleast 100 million dollars.

Big donors such as Walter Scott (Omaha billionaire) are financially responsible for much of the best attractions at the zoo - they've donated a lot.

But it is true that Omaha's wealth is what built that zoo. But once you start getting a few donations, many more roll in. People hesitate donating to a slacker zoo, so it's really like a snow ball effect. KC needs to do something to get their snow ball rolling. You guys don't have as much wealth as we do, but you certainly have enough to create a zoo like ours.
RON PAUL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008
http://www.ronpaul2008.com/
GuyInLenexa
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by GuyInLenexa »

I was at the San Diego Zoo in Balboa Park last May and was so impressed on how it was such a jewel set in the center of the city.
I was at Swope Park for the March of Dimes Walk just a few months before.
The beautiful setting of Swope Park could make the Kansas City Zoo on of the greatest in the nation.
Great zoos like St. Louis, Fort Worth, San Diego, and Omaha did not happen all at once, it took time.
The new guy from Omaha is starting on the right track. Nobody will wake up one morning to see KC with a world class zoo, it will take time and a lot of community support. This could mean higher entrance and parking fees and some real visable promotions.
Personally the zoo should be part of the bistate initiative, if we have a third one.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

I think the zoo is in a good location. Starlight is there, and is quite popular and well respected. The zoo is not in the wrong place, Swope just needs to be improved.
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

First, Zoo's are neither archaic or esoteric. Neither are they children-only attractions. I love zoo's and visit the local zoo in every city I visit.

Secondly, the KC zoo has an appropriate home in Swope Park and should remain there. Swope Park is an excellent urban park although much maligned by suburbanites that mistakenly think it's a dangerous place. The park contains an excellent zoo (despite its detractors), the Starlight (as mentioned above), two respectable golf courses and a large area of entirely under-utilized urban wilderness with some pretty fair and scenic trails.

As for the zoo itself, it's not the attempt to create a natural setting that is the problem. The Africa and Australia sections of the zoo actually work very well with a couple of caveats and they are some of the top attractions I have ever seen at a zoo. In fact, the Africa section holds it own with any section of any zoo in the world. The bigger problem, even in the new areas, is animal density. When the zoo was enlarged back in the 90s (?), they added a tremendous amount of space but very few additional animals to occupy the space. The animals are also set in large viewing areas making them sometime difficult to spot and often leaving some pretty empty space between exhibits. Even in the two marquee areas, this can be a problem. Another problem is that maintenance is poor. The African Masai village and aviary were wonderful exhibits and fully staffed when first open but since that time, both a number of species and most of the staff has disappeared. Nonetheless, the Africa section still works very well due its a spectacular layout.

Aside from Africa and Australia, the zoo is not that great but it has potential....particularly due to the beautiful setting it occupies. Hopefully, the master plan will address some of the glaring weaknesses like the density of animals, key missing species, lack of indoor exhibits and too much dead space.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

hermit wrote:
KCPowercat wrote:St. Louis residents really need to stop trying to seperate themselves from KC ones.
People on the East and West coast are equally arrogant towards both cities.
I grew up on the East coast, and I couldn't give a shit about what they think.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

just heard this song, like the lyrics and i couldn't figure where to post it (didn't think it deserved its own thread) lol, so here it goes:

(it's a "cowboy" song)

"Kansas City Star"

Got a letter just this mornin’ it was postmarked Omaha
It was typed and neatly written offerin’ me this better job
Better job at higher wages, expenses paid and a car
But I’m on TV here locally and I can’t quit, I’m a star

Hah-ha I come on TV grinnin,’ wearin’ pistols and a hat
It’s a kiddy show and I’m a hero of the younger set
I’m the number one attraction every supermarket parkin’ lot
I’m the king of Kansas City, no thanks, Omaha, thanks a lot

CHORUS:
Kansas City star, that’s what I are
Yodel-deedle ay-hee, you oughta see my car
I drive a big old Cadillac with wire wheels, got rhinestones on the spokes
I got credit down at the grocery store
And my barber tells me jokes
I’m the number one attraction every supermarket parkin’ lot
I’m the king of Kansas City, no thanks, Omaha, thanks a lot
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
DTO
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by DTO »

The only zoos I've ever been to are Omaha's and KC's. We went back in 2001 to KC's zoo and it was kind of lackluster. But the only thing I have to compare it to is Henry Doorly so I don't know if that's fair. The KC Zoo was WAY to spread out. We were there with a 3 year old in a stroller and pushing it all over was a bitch. At HDZ (Henry Doorly Zoo) many of the main attractions are right next to each other.

We also didn't see many animals. We went to the monkey house and there were maybe only 5 all together. As big as the elephant complex was we didn't see any elephants. Come to think of it there was a big open, grassy section that was supposed to have African animals but they weren't any. And I don't recall if your Zoo had an aquarium. HDZ is more than just a place for kids to visit. You need to entice the older people to come to because a 8 yr old ins't going to walk up to the zoo by themselves.
Deleted User

Post by Deleted User »

Last edited by Deleted User on Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Michael® wrote:
KC zoo has an appropriate home in Swope Park and should remain there. Swope Park is an excellent urban park although much maligned by suburbanites that mistakenly think it's a dangerous place. The park contains an excellent zoo
I don't know where you're from, but Swope Park is avoided by 80% of the population, not just suburbanites and it is avoided by everyone after dark. The only safe attraction is Starlight because of it's proximity to a major thoroughfare. Swope Park is a terrible location for the zoo, the only major highway is I-435 and even that is barely accessible. The park is dangerous, the zoo is poolry ran and KC could do better. I say scrap the current zoo and rebuild a smaller zoo and aqaurium next door to Union Station.
And what to do with Swope Park? Write it off? Shall we just move our zoo around to the latest hot neighborhood?

Where the hell are you going to put a zoo in the vicinity of Union Station, right in the middle of some great urban neighborhoods? Talk about a waste of space. Zoos aren't a foot traffic thing, they're a destination. Putting it in a distinctivly urban neighborhood would just be a density killer.
eomaha.com
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by eomaha.com »

Yeah really... if anything... improvements for the Swope Park Zoo should be an anchor for revitalization in the neighborhood. Don't just write it off. Are you just going to leave a piece of the city like this 'cordoned off' forever?