Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Schlitterbahn Waterpark and Resort

Post by KCMax »

I always though OOF was a bit small and lame for a city our sized. WOF on the other hand is pretty cool to have.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

KCMax wrote: I always though OOF was a bit small and lame for a city our sized. WOF on the other hand is pretty cool to have.
Yeah,

I always thought the prob. at wof was the lack of good rides, but there improving on that, and now after going to celebration city in branson, and various other parks, the real problem is an urbanized feel that the park has...a pure money maker feel...its lost the sense of identity it once had, thats the main problem.  There needs to be a huge landscaping and improvement project in the whole park, to bring it back together.  It should still follow the worlds theme...sadly it doesnt...the ride names are pretty much the only thing going anymore
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: As I have said before - this ought to help WOF.  The new waterpark should bring in amusement park vacation families from much further away.  Lots of these folks will go to WOF too while they are here, Especially if Cedar Fair keeps investing.  WOF's attendance only ought to go up out of this. 

OOF on the other hand - well that may be a lost cause. 
Maybe all the added tourists could stay downtown...at least half of them.  This would give KC an excuse to build a highrise hotel or two, maybe a mixed use hotel/office/residential tower or two, or three or four!
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

kcdcchef wrote: too bad it may not.
Are you fucking kidding me? What do they have to do personally do the deal in your living room to believe it is true?

http://www.kansascitykansan.com/article ... /news3.txt
KCK man tears down house to make way for water park
By ADAM TORRES
Published: Friday, June 23, 2006 11:30 AM CDT
E-mail this story | Print this page
rry Lipp looked through the rubble left from the barn his father built off of Parallel Parkway. Lipp sold the land to developers of the Schlitterbahn water amusement park and has to clear off the structures his father built. ADAM TORRES/The Kansan

Kansan Staff Writer

After the Kansas Speedway was built, Terry Lipp figured he wouldn’t be living in his western Kansas City, Kan., home very much longer.

“All of us in the neighborhood figured we had less than ten years,â€
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ wow, you have to feel for all the people that are being kicked out of their homes.  I'm for progress, but that does have to suck.

I wonder if they are getting decent offers such as 125% of the value of their property.  One problem with dispacing people in older and rural areas is that they can not take that money and duplicate their home and land without getting way out into the outer counties of the metro.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

GRID wrote: ^ wow, you have to feel for all the people that are being kicked out of their homes.  I'm for progress, but that does have to suck.

I wonder if they are getting decent offers such as 125% of the value of their property.  One problem with dispacing people in older and rural areas is that they can not take that money and duplicate their home and land without getting way out into the outer counties of the metro.
Yeah, it does always suck when somebody gets run out of their home...  At least in WyCo it has established an evolving tourist destination with the speedway and Schlitterbahn.
KCK
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by KCK »

GRID wrote: ^ wow, you have to feel for all the people that are being kicked out of their homes.  I'm for progress, but that does have to suck.

Kicked out of their homes? Maybe you should read the article, none of the homes in the waterpark project are being taken through emminent domain, but nice try GRID.
New Body, New Job, New SOUL!!!!

KCK IS BACK!!!!
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

KCK wrote: Kicked out of their homes? Maybe you should read the article, none of the homes in the waterpark project are being taken through emminent domain, but nice try GRID.
The article you posted did mention it.  It is on people's minds.  You better believe there won't be a lone holdout farmhouse next to a water slide.
The article you quoted wrote:He sold five acres of land to the developer, feeling pressure from possible eminent domain, he said.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Didn't Kansas reform eminent domain to make it much harder for the city to take a private homeowners land and turn it over to private developers?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Kansas and Missouri both added some hoops to it...I can't remember Kansas' but I remember that Missouri raised the price to be paid by time and a half or something to well above market rate.

But the bottom line from the added hoops was that eminent domain will still go on, but it will just take longer and be more expensive.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

It has been said a thousand times. Eminent domain is NOT being used to acquire property for Schlitterbahn. Probably due to the hyper-sensitivity surrounding it caused by the media coverage. I have no doubt in my mind that these people who are selling willingly are making out like bandits. It is the people who get greedy and reject handsome offers and then go to court and end up having to settle for court-ordered "fair-market" values, who end up loosing out, and then have the nerve to complain and give the whole process a bad rap. It makes me ill.

The second part of that post is pure hogwash created by the media to hype up their Eminent Domain news reports. You certainly can take that money and duplicate your home. If you can't then your not spending your money wisely.In fact most of these people end up in newer, larger homes. Don't be fooled by the propaganda from the property-owners lobby.
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

](*,) 
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
justin8216
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by justin8216 »

I read that immediately after the end of this years Wyandotte County Fair, they will begin demolishing fairground buildings. It looks as this project continues to progress.
KCrules
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCrules »

GRID/
  I was in KC three weeks ago and they had graders and heavy equipment stationed on 99th/Parallel. My dad works for BPU in KCK and he said the day the fair is over the process will begin. The people who have been displaced received a generous sum of money...somewhere in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. For all you KS haters...sorry about your luck.
MrJayhawk
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by MrJayhawk »

It will not begin until the NASCAR race is over on Oct. 1.

The UG wants to kep that land available for people to park campers and such for the race.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

After this water park is built I could see KC being seen as the theme park capital of the midwest.

WOF, OOF, Schlitterbahn

Is the Lego Land project still a possibility? And it's too bad nothing ever came of the Land of Oz theme park. That would've been cool, although it may have hurt WOF. If that would've been the case then I wouldn't want it.
BVC
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by BVC »

kcmetro wrote: After this water park is built I could see KC being seen as the theme park capital of the midwest.

WOF, OOF, Schlitterbahn

Is the Lego Land project still a possibility? And it's too bad nothing ever came of the Land of Oz theme park. That would've been cool, although it may have hurt WOF. If that would've been the case then I wouldn't want it.
I actually think that Schlitterbahn will help Legoland make a decision in our favor and you may even hear of a rekindling of the Land of Oz theme park.  I would think that it is a very distinct possibility that inside of 10 years will yield a pretty solid tourism industry in KC...
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I just don't see legoland in KC.  So what if RED it going after them, I don't see it happening.  The ONLY reason they would come here is because STAR bonds and other incentives would build the park for them, but it's still a risk even if that happens because if the park fails, the image of legoland will suffer.

Besides, it would take all the fun out of taking the kids to the one in San Diego ;).

WOF can't draw 1 million now.  We were there on a wonderful 75 degree saturday and they still could only fill the front parking lot.  Even with all those new coasters, it's nothing like it was in the 80's.  Same deal with OOF.

KC has lost its regional draw, the Royals are not helping and our competing cities, Denver, StL and now Mnnpls have become much stronger draws recently.

I hope all that changes with our new downtown and maybe if Schiltterbaun is successful, things could turn around, but till then, I doubt Legoland is even looking at KC.
jj116533
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jj116533 »

I would like to see a huge themepark be built out by the speedway.  It would just be another draw to the area.  I would like to see a different park other than Legoland.  I don't think that KC would be good for that i think that we would do a lot better with a Six Flags.  I would rather go to a Six Flags then a Legoland. 

Also i think that WOF is somewhat of a joke. It is so dirty and attracts the grungiest people that i have ever seen.  All of the workers are always in a pissed off mood and the food is complete crap.  Everytime i go there i like less and less.  Also as i go to more theme parks like Cedar Point in Ohio, and THE BEST theme park in the world Universal Islands of Adventure, i get used to a higher quality of service and better rides, and food, and cleanliness.  I think that having a six flags would do better but i still would not mind having a legoland because, hey that is just another draw to the area.
KC has lost its regional draw, the Royals are not helping and our competing cities, Denver, StL and now Mnnpls have become much stronger draws recently.
In regards to that statement at the time i think that you are right, but just give the city 5 years and see if you still say that.  My hopes are that Glass sells the team and we are actually good.  Downtown goes crazy and even more construction projects are planned.  Schlitterbahn, puts KC on the map with possibly the #1 water park in the USA, (the one in Texas is and this one is supposed to be even better) Also a basketball/hockey team, i think that the city will be a lot different in 5 years then in 20 you wont recingnize it.
Student at NYU studying Metropolitan Studies and Economic Theory.  Real Estate connoisseur.
http://twitter.com/#!/grecobs
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Build a six flags at the speedway? You are out of your mind.  A legoland there would be a far better investment than duplicating what we already have.

Worlds of Fun is fine, it's better than a lot of six flags parks, it's just not getting the attendance it deserves....because KC is not drawing regionally right now.