OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
Deleted User

Re: Port Authority Hosting Public Meetings on Riverfront Jan 18 an 19

Post by Deleted User »

TheNorthlander wrote: Both interchanges next to ZR have new sidewalks on both sides.  If this is unwalkable, inform us how to improve.
It does have sidewalks and a bike lane but I've been to ZR 20 times and have never, ever seen a single person walking toward it ( or biking for that matter). I think they built the "walkable" environment within for the town village concept hoping to attract residents (pedestrians) later.

I really hate this Berkeley riverfront fiasco. This idiotic plan  (lack of one) has been stretched out over the years with nothing happening. IMO what's really IMPORTANT is that the city develop the downtown Grand/Main Street riverfront and put Berkeley on hold until the downtown riverfront is established.
Last edited by Deleted User on Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

voltopt wrote: Poop Plant!
so there actually is a sewage treatment plant across the river producing the smell?  I just thought it was industry smell..... smells like beans being cooked, not shite per se.

edit: ah, here's that wonderful thread from a while back, about the smell that sometimes wafts over the river

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=6422.0
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by GRID »

The treatment plant is clear up by Briarcliff.

The smell is not that bad at Berkley anyway, not like it is over near 435.
KCBoom
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KCBoom »

Again . . . the smell is from National Starch & Chemical Corporation (1001 Bedford Ave, NKC).  It is located at the northeastern corner where the Heart of America Bridge meets the river's north bank levee.  Raw starch smells and looks like poo.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

hmmm, is it time to relocate this plant? (or force them to install more expensive smell filters)?  Even though it's off and on, I think it's going to have quite a downer effect on sales if people visting the development get a whiff of that and are told, it "usually" isn't that bad.  I was over in NKC two weeks ago, tooling around taking pictures, and the smell was pretty unbearable coming over the bridge and in the area immediately around there.
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Michael® wrote: I really hate this Berkeley riverfront fiasco. This idiotic plan  (lack of one) has been stretched out over the years with nothing happening. IMO what's really IMPORTANT is that the city develop the downtown Grand/Main Street riverfront and put Berkeley on hold until the downtown riverfront is established.
FWIW, the Port Authority seems to actually be doing it right this time.  They have hired the best folks in the industry.  Forest City has done dozens of urban redevelopment projects like Stapleton in Denver.  Civitas is a top shelf planning company.  The landscape/waterscape architects from Germany are world class.  They're resume includes the new Potsdamer Platz in Berlin and the Queens Botanical Garden in NY.

The people working on this really know their shit, so we just need the local authorities to have the courage to follow through and pony up the money.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

^^  I second that very strongly.  Don't know if you've seen the early site plans yet, but they're definitely creative and progressive.  Streets between buildings with a liniar wetland-park going along side it, with car and ped bridges to the other sidewalk, armored levees...looks amazing.

Check them out:
DaveKCMO wrote: if you haven't downloaded the PDF presentation from last week's meeting, you can do so here: http://www.kcportauthority.com/aboutUs/ ... gFinal.pdf

go straight to slides 54-58 to see the amazing "harbor option".
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

ComandanteCero wrote: so there actually is a sewage treatment plant across the river producing the smell?  I just thought it was industry smell..... smells like beans being cooked, not shite per se.

edit: ah, here's that wonderful thread from a while back, about the smell that sometimes wafts over the river

http://www.kcskyscrapers.com/newforum/i ... pic=6422.0
i think there is a sewage treatment or water treatment facility on woodswether near kaw point in the west bottoms.  at least, it smells like it.
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
Quay Girl
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Quay Girl »

The only thing this girl knows for sure is that it is usually bad on a beautiful day and it is not only impossible to open my windows and air out my loft but I have to light candles indoors just to mask the smell.

Ahh, but the once a month that the coffee plant is cooking up a yummy chocolatey batch of something, it's warm outside, the construction workers aren't kicking up dust to coat my tables and the poo/starch/rendering/whateverthehell plant is out of commission for the day/night.. Ahh.. those nights are some of the best ever.
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

Can't believe there were no seizures over this.  Sounds like an awful lot of parking.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

There is indeed a sewage treatment plant for KCK in the West Bottoms, just north of Woodswether.  That smell is evident from I70 but it doesn't make it to the River Market or Berkely Park.  That smell is very localized and by the time the sewage is treated and in the river, the water shouldn't have an odor and should be safe to drink.

The rotten egg smell that everyone knows and loves comes from a dog food plant, from what I've understood.  The plant actually sits in Kansas City, Missouri and has been on the radar of the EPA and other agencies.  You'll notice that the smell hits on weekends and at night, conveniently timed with a release schedule that aims to evade oversight because the fewest number of people will be around to complain.  With a growing residential population, hopefully pressure will continue to ratchet up. 
knucklehead
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by knucklehead »

I have been to berkley park at least a dozen times. I like to walk the escalade.

I have only smelled the starch plant twice.

About 50 percent of the time I have gone on a weekday.

It very well may be that the two days I smelled the starch plant were during a week day. I can't recall. But that would leave zero weekend problem and no problem on 4 out of six weekdays.

That is just my experience. Others may have a different experience.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

staubio wrote: The rotten egg smell that everyone knows and loves comes from a dog food plant, from what I've understood.  The plant actually sits in Kansas City, Missouri and has been on the radar of the EPA and other agencies.  You'll notice that the smell hits on weekends and at night, conveniently timed with a release schedule that aims to evade oversight because the fewest number of people will be around to complain.  With a growing residential population, hopefully pressure will continue to ratchet up. 
The smell going over the HoA bridge is so disgusting I am unable to even describe it.  It is possibly the most retched odor I have ever encountered.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

The smell is worst on a hot summer day when there is a temperature inversion.  Naturally all smells settle over the river as it is the lowest point in the entire region.  Look out Berkely Lofts and Cold Storage.  Maybe the should include an ozone machine in every unit.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Ah, the tortured smell of yuppies moving into industrial districts ;)
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

dangerboy wrote: Ah, the tortured smell of yuppies moving into industrial districts ;)
Smells like Victory!
Thrillcekr
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Thrillcekr »

That smell was me.  I had some pickled eggs for lunch.  Sorry!
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the woman who single-handedly advocated turning the riverfront park into a big surface lot, anita gorman, received an award on april 12 for being an Outstanding Missourian (whatever that means!):

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/14451607.htm

:shock:
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

im sorry, shes an environmental and conservation advocate?  she seems to advocate unabashed autocentricity and the paving over of parks, and so i'm questioning...  :?

absurdity.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I heart Anita Gorman!