Missouri Amtrak Service

Transportation topics in KC
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Missouri Amtrak Service

Post by KCMax »

bahua wrote: I'd definitely support that over handouts and bailouts for failing airlines.
And the auto industry. How much do we spend on highways?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

shinatoo wrote: I've talked with several conductors on my Amtrak trips and Amtrak does have priority over all freight trains. However UP is notorious for poor scheduling to the point that Amtrak now has a law suit with them to recover cost for overnight lodging for passangers who have missed connections.

I was also told that taking a freight train out of Chicago is, on average, as 75 mile PER DAY ordeal. Sound to me like there is a need for increased capacity.
there are lots of articles about how congested the chicago area is with rail traffic. thankfully, that mostly affects freight traffic moving through chicago (versus passenger traffic originating or terminating in chicago). and yes, UP is notorious for not being able to handle their own loads (let alone amtrak's). whenever you travel amtrak, check the "host railroad" notes to make sure it's not UP. otherwise, plan to be late.

back to the KC-STL route, the new legislation would probably favor existing state-sponsored routes first, so hopefully that means more track improvements, which could leave to 79-mph service for more of that trip (the speed limit for most passenger rail traffic in the US that shares tracks with freight). if travel time was around 5 hours from city center-to-city center, it would much more competitive with driving (which is just under 4 hours between the two downtowns).
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DaveKCMO wrote: there are lots of articles about how congested the chicago area is with rail traffic. thankfully, that mostly affects freight traffic moving through chicago (versus passenger traffic originating or terminating in chicago). and yes, UP is notorious for not being able to handle their own loads (let alone amtrak's). whenever you travel amtrak, check the "host railroad" notes to make sure it's not UP. otherwise, plan to be late.

back to the KC-STL route, the new legislation would probably favor existing state-sponsored routes first, so hopefully that means more track improvements, which could leave to 79-mph service for more of that trip (the speed limit for most passenger rail traffic in the US that shares tracks with freight). if travel time was around 5 hours from city center-to-city center, it would much more competitive with driving (which is just under 4 hours between the two downtowns).
Yea. I never had issue with and Amtrak train being late into Chicago. Apparently, the Metra trains around Chicago run like clockwork too.
enough
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by enough »

missouri amtrak service update

on-time performance of the missouri-funded trains between kansas city and st. louis is an ongoing issue at quarterly meetings of modot's rail passenger coordinating committee (morpac).

at the most recent meeting (january 25) there was extensive discussion, with about eight amtrak people and two union people in attendance.  it's not just that performance is bad by amtrak's measure -- on time = up to 15 minutes late -- but too many trains are more than one or two hours late -- and sometimes a lot later than that.

of the four trains that cross the state between kcy and stl, most have gotten a lot better since the up completed last year's track work and service returned to the regular schedule december 1.  however, performance of the eastbound morning train -- train 324 leaving kcy at 0730 -- continues to be bad.  over the past 20 days, for example, 17 of the #324 trains have been more than 1 hour late getting to stl, and 7 of those have been more than 2 hours late.

there's more track work scheduled for this summer, of course, but this year modot and amtrak have worked with the up to avoid having to substitute buses, as they did in 2006.  (substitution of buses for a lot of train trips last summer reduced capacity from about 200 to about 45 passengers per trip, with the result that kcy-stl ridership in the first 6 months of state fy 2007 was down about 17 percent from the previous year.)  

beginning april 2, amtrak trains will be rescheduled to give up's track crews a long block of uninterrupted time to work on major segments of track 1 (the north track) between jefferson city and stl.

tentative departure times beginning april 2:
> eastbound, departing kansas city at 1230 and 1630
> westbound, departing st. louis at 0600 and 1630
scheduled travel times will continue to be 5:40 for all trains.

as a consequence of those changes, st. louis people will be able to do a full day's business in jeff city by train.  on the other hand, that option all but disappears for kansas city people -- except for business can be accomplished between 1530 and 1830.

the up side of the revised summer schedule is that day trips into kansas city (as well as lee's summit and indepedence) will be more feasible, with a scheduled 4 hours and 50 minutes "on the ground" in kansas city.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/16705684.htm
Heavy freight train congestion and broken track has forced Amtrak to replace trains with buses today between Kansas City and St. Louis.

Amtrak spokesman Marc Magliari said the railroad line is clogged with a “couple dozen” freight trains that are making it difficult for passenger trains to travel between Kansas City and St. Louis.

He also said there is a broken rail at some point along the route that needs to be welded together. Magliari said it’s not unusual for rail to snap during freeze-and-thaw cycles.

Magliari said he expects Amtrak to restore passenger train service on Friday.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I'm taking my youngest son and his friends on a train ride from Lee's Summit to Union Station / Fritzs on Saturday for his birthday.  I hope the trains are on time and I hope they are actual trains. ;).
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

amtrak system-wide enhancements coming soon:

- trip rating surveys after every trip (phone or internet, launched in december)
- automated train status on cell phones and PDAs
- combination booking with other travel options (hotel, car)
- eticketing (should launch in 2008)
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

Another round of track work slated for this spring / summer / fall...  :(

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... 2amtrak%22
Amtrak repairs ahead in Missouri
By Elisa Crouch
ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH
03/22/2007

Major track repair across Missouri this year will once again affect Amtrak service between St. Louis and Kansas City.

Amtrak announced Wednesday that schedules will change on April 2. The line's owner, Union Pacific Railroad, began work in February on $27 million in track improvements between St. Louis and Jefferson City, affecting the two daily St. Louis-to-Kansas City round trips. The work will continue until November.

The work follows $32 million in construction last summer that forced Amtrak and the Missouri Department of Transportation to put train passengers on chartered buses to get around construction.
No specifics--other then departure time changes from St Louis--were in the article.
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don't make sense
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

the 7:30 departure from KC changes to 12:30p. the 4:30 departure is unchanged.

on a separate note, i was on the train from STL last night and decided to upgrade to business class. i highly recommend it if you take the train the whole route. sometimes coach can get a bit rowdy (there were hundreds of kids boarding at jeff city... someone tipped me off). the biz class seats are 2+1, you get a free newspaper, and you're right next to the cafe.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

DaveKCMO wrote: the 7:30 departure from KC changes to 12:30p. the 4:30 departure is unchanged.

on a separate note, i was on the train from STL last night and decided to upgrade to business class. i highly recommend it if you take the train the whole route. sometimes coach can get a bit rowdy (there were hundreds of kids boarding at jeff city... someone tipped me off). the biz class seats are 2+1, you get a free newspaper, and you're right next to the cafe.
I second that.  There aren't always kids but if you think there are going to be then yeah--upgrade.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Kard wrote: I second that.  There aren't always kids but if you think there are going to be then yeah--upgrade.
i should note a tip about upgrading on board: give the conductor time to get settled and he'll come back to you if biz class seats are available. if not, he'll be sitting in the cafe. the price was $14, which is the lowest upgrade you will ever pay for the entire KC-STL route (which is the benefit of upgrading on board vs. upgrading when you buy your ticket).

the same works for upgrading to sleeping compartments onboard long distance trains: if there is capacity, they have to offer you the lowest "bucket" price.
phna
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by phna »

And the auto industry. How much do we spend on highways?
That's a great question. But remember, they are meant to be airstrips too!
Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does.

Jean Paul Sartre
jaysonv
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by jaysonv »

DaveKCMO wrote: you get a free newspaper, and you're right next to the cafe.
Don't forget the complimentary (non-alcoholic) beverage!

NY Times...... $1.50
Can of Pepsi.....  $0.50  (or $2 from the snack car)
Leather Seats, Foot Rest, Leg Room, and a Slight Sense of Superiority..... $14

Upgrading is well worth it.
jimb
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by jimb »

My family upgraded to a small bedroom unit on the trip to Chicago.  Didn't need it for sleeping, but it was nice for a) the privacy b) the included breakfast and lunch in the dining car c) preferred reservations in the dining car and d) all the aforementioned freebies.  They also have these little 2-person roomettes that remind me of the compartments you see on European trains in the movies.

On the way home we road coach.  Amtrak seats are roomy and comfortable (I'm 6-4), but the guy behind me cough, snored, and farted (loudly) the whole trip pack.  Thank God for the lounge car!

If the wife and I go up just the two of us, I think we'll definitely spring for the roomette.  And thanks for the tip about asking for upgrades after boarding - I hadn't thought about that.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

KCUR reported this morning that amtrak funding is at risk in the missouri legislature... again. call/email your reps! if funding is not renewed, service would end july 1.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

DaveKCMO wrote: KCUR reported this morning that amtrak funding is at risk in the missouri legislature... again. call/email your reps! if funding is not renewed, service would end july 1.
More info:  http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/news/s ... enDocument
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

MODOT Official Insists a Few Changes Could Make Amtrak More Popular
Missouri Department of Transportation Multimodal Operations Director, Brian Weiler, deals with transportation issues other than highways. Weiler acknowledges Amtrak becomes an easy political target, because its performance has suffered over the years. That is in contrast with other states, which have experienced an increase in passenger train ridership. Weiler points out that Illinois has seen an increase in Amtrak's popularity.

Part of that Illinois rider ship comes from the Anne Rutledge, which travels from Kansas City through St. Louis, onto Chicago. The Missouri Mule travels back-and-forth between Kansas City and St. Louis on Union Pacific tracks. That is the big problem. Union Pacific controls the rails and can disrupt passenger service. Amtrak trains were delayed numerous times last year, not only by freight trains, but by rail construction. MODOT actually loaded Amtrak passengers in buses to transport them around construction projects. Weiler says that didn't prove very popular and MODOT has ended the practice.

Weiler says Missouri has about 175,000 Amtrak riders annually. He speculates that could increase to 250,000 if on-time performance and reliability could be improved. Weiler says MODOT is waiting on a University of Missouri study on how best to relieve congestion. Consideration has even been given to extending Amtrak between St. Louis and Springfield.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i hope no one's booked on the 4:30 train!
Service Alert: Missouri Mules cancelled between St. Louis and Kansas City

May 4, 2007

Union Pacific Railroad has informed Amtrak the route used by the Missouri Mules passenger trains between St. Louis and Kansas City has an unusually high amount of freight train congestion today, May 4.

Therefore, service by Train 311, the morning westbound train from St. Louis, and by Train 314, one of afternoon eastbound trains from Kansas City, is cancelled today. Alternate transportation will be provided by Train 313, the afternoon westbound train from St. Louis, and by Train 316, another afternoon eastbound train from Kansas City, or by chartered motorcoaches.

Amtrak regrets any inconvenience.

This information is correct as of the above time and date and will be updated as needed. Passengers are encouraged to call 800-USA-RAIL or visit Amtrak.com for schedule information and train status updates.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

more "bustitution"... i'm convinced the house republicans are forcing this behavior with UP!

http://www.kansascity.com/116/story/98363.html
Heavy freight train traffic is forcing Amtrak to resort to using buses between Kansas City and St. Louis today.

Amtrak, which pays to use Union Pacific’s tracks, had to cancel the first train out of Kansas City’s Union Station today. The 12:30 p.m. train service to St. Louis has been replaced by a motor coach.
kard
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by kard »

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentSe ... 8293979648'

Amtrak will cancel some trains and use buses for most of the KC - StL route for the rest of the week.  Freight congestion due to the weather is the cause.
Haikus are easy
Refrigerator