KC in TV and Movies

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: KC in TV and Movies

Post by KCMax »

hermit wrote: I just saw many shots of Arrowhead in a budweiser commercial.  It, along with the Steelers, seemed to be featured.
(I saw this commercial while watching MNF by the way.)
I don't know if its the same commercial, but there was one a few years back that showed anonymous red-clad NFL fans at the game (I guess they couldn't get the NFL permission). It then cut to a sports bar with those fans - it was filmed at Harry's in Westport.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

on sunday night, i was watching the nbc special w/ tom brokaw on evangelicals, and i think i saw a VERY brief clip showing kansas senator sam brownback strolling through the plaza in missouri.

why in the world would there not be a clip of a conservative politician strolling through lawrence, heheh.

yeah, i saw the bud commercial showing arrowhead in about every other frame.
Last edited by warwickland on Tue Nov 01, 2005 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

DiggityDawg wrote: Image

Saw this in Target last week for $7.50 . If I wasn't unemployed I woulda snagged it.
i think its funny that this movie came out in 1983, when One KC PLace, the town pavillion, and 1201 Walnut DID NOT EXIST.
but, the cover has been adapted.  interesting...
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ozone84
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ozone84 »

I believe Slim Pickins made a reference to Kansas City in "Blazing Saddles."   :lol:

There was also an X Files episode with Kathy Griffin playing twins that was set in Kansas City.
"If you plan cities for cars and traffic, you get cars and traffic. If you plan for people and places, you get people and places." - Fred Kent : Project For Public Spaces
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I believe its:

"I hired you people to try to get a little track laid, not to jump around like a bunch of Kansas City faggots!"

KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I saw Capote last night about Truman Capote's writing of "In Cold Blood" about the murder of four Holcomb, KS family members by two drifters. The drifters flee to Kansas City! Kansas City is also mentioned as a place to get a certain book banned by Holcomb.

DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

i also saw the trailer for "four brothers" and saw the KC skyline, it actually made me want to see the movie even more. but sure enough, it all takes place in detroit with no shots of KC or any mention of KC. the only reason i can think of for them putting our skyline in the trailer is that our skyline is much more attractive than theirs.

BTW i loved the movie, good plot and good characters... even that shitty andre 3000 or whatever did suprisingly good.
shaffe
Penntower
Penntower

Post by shaffe »

there's a movie coming out this december starring john cusak called "The Ice Harvest".  here's a summary:

A wickedly funny thriller that takes moviegoers on a wild ride brimming with larceny, lust and lethal behavior. In icebound Wichita, Kansas, it's Christmas Eve, and this year Charlie Arglist (John Cusack) just might have something to celebrate. Charlie, an attorney for the sleazy businesses of Wichita, and his unsavory associate, the steely Vic Cavanaugh (Billy Bob Thornton) have just successfully embezzled $2 million from Kansas City boss Bill Guerrard (Randy Quaid). But the real prize for Charlie is the stunning Renata (Connie Nielsen), who runs the Sweet Cage strip club. Charlie hopes to slip out of town with Renata. But as daylight fades and an ice storm whirls, everyone from Charlie's drinking buddy Pete Van Heuten (Oliver Platt) to the local police begin to wonder just what exactly is in Charlie's Christmas stocking - and the 12 hours of Christmas Eve are filled with surprises.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

sounds like a mission from Grand Theft Auto.....  just my kind of movie
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

Post by QueSi2Opie »

Anyone see the film "The Big Kahuna"?  The entire film takes place in Wichita, mostly on the 16th floor of the downtown Hyatt Regency.  It stars Kevin Spacey & Danny DeVito and includes some fairly decent scenes of the Epic Center and Wichita skyline.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
DowntownBryan
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by DowntownBryan »

I just saw the Kansas City premier of "Glory Road", which is the story of the Texas Western team of the 60's who won the national championship with 7 black players, and some tryouts are held in Kansas City, Kansas, and Texas Western plays the Jayhawks in the big dance.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

On SNL last night with Eva Longoria, Eva played a character accepting an award for the "Spammies" who worked at Merck Pharmaceutical in Overland Park, then screamed "O.P. baby!!!" One of the newer castmembers and writers, Jason Sudeikis, attended Rockhurst and Shawnee Mission West, and got started in Lawrence, so its probably no coincedence.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCMax wrote: On SNL last night with Eva Longoria, Eva played a character accepting an award for the "Spammies" who worked at Merck Pharmaceutical in Overland Park, then screamed "O.P. baby!!!" One of the newer castmembers and writers, Jason Sudeikis, attended Rockhurst and Shawnee Mission West, and got started in Lawrence, so its probably no coincedence.
How odd that they would think the rest of the country would know what the hell that meant.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

There's not really anything to get. She just said the name of a city, then said the initials of that city. Its not really hard to infer.

Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Denver Josh wrote: New KC plug in a Major Movie

http://www.apple.com/trailers/focus_fea ... rvest.html

The Ice Harvest starring John Cusack, Billy Bob Thorton, Randy Quaid and Oliver Platt set in Wichata, KS.  Anyone know if they really filmed there?  Randy Quaid makes a Kansas City reference in the trailer.

---
....that's pretty cool, right?
What ever happened with this movie? Has it already been out and I just haven't been paying any attention?

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Ice Harvest came and went. Look for it in video stores in a few months.

staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCPowercat wrote: that shot isn't on the trailers on hollywood.com, etc.  Whoever said they are doing this to get those cities into the movie is probably right on.

Bigger Jigger is a bar on the east side on 12th St.
Was looking through this thread for movie ideas for tonight and noticed this.

Bigger Jigger is in the Northeast, on St. John Ave (the equivilant of zero-eth street), not on 12th, unless there are multiple locations.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

KCMax wrote: The Ice Harvest came and went. Look for it in video stores in a few months.
Comes out February 24, if I recall correctly.
swampranger
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by swampranger »

I was watching the "seconds from disaster" series on National Geographic Channel last night, and the episode was on the Hyatt Regency disaster. I knew they had done the same topic on History Channel or something in the past, but this one was recent. The narrator states that the Hyatt was built quickly by construction standards during a boom period of the city, and questions if that could be a cause for the overlook and faulty construction of the skywalks. Then he says, "and if so, what about other buildings"  and they flash a current picture of downtown and the current H & R block construction.
"We must scrupulously guard the civil rights and civil liberties of all citizens, whatever their background. We must remember that any oppression, any injustice, any hatred, is a wedge designed to attack our civilization."
-- Franklin Roosevelt
warwickland
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by warwickland »

staubio wrote: Was looking through this thread for movie ideas for tonight and noticed this.

Bigger Jigger is in the Northeast, on St. John Ave (the equivilant of zero-eth street), not on 12th, unless there are multiple locations.
I stumbled across the bigger jigger as well. being a giant mamas family watcher when i was a kid, i would have expected the bigger jigger to have been in an older inner ring  suburban type area in independence or raytown...