New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

alejandro46 wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:38 pm I am no fortune teller.

I am no psychic.

But I have seen nothing that indicates Arrowhead is moving. They are in a wait and see mode on what the Royals will do.

JoCo level of suckiness is an unrelated discussion.
It's pretty easy to tell because teams strategically leak what they want to soften up the ground for when they go public. It's exactly what the royals are doing now.

For those that were here for the last time were did this, the chiefs were all over the press leaking how they couldn't be competitive without the renovations passing and who knows what would happen.

I have not seen a single article or heard any gossip that the chiefs are not content at TSC.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:38 pm I agree with grid here. Perhaps we can split the thread off, but the problem with joco is it's just very bland. I know there are people that are fine with the houses and schools, but it's not for my taste.

I don't know how you compare that to something like Bethesda. I think if you dropped someone from there into our "top ranked suburb" they'd be pretty confused.
No, a place like Bethesda & Brookside are appealing to a different kind of crowd than JoCo. The modern day suburbs like JoCo are appealing to *families*.

And as for attracting the families, JoCo is kicking ass and has way better growth and merits than almost all suburbs around the country. Its about schools, affordability, crime, jobs, etc...that's what gets families. That's where JoCo gets the top marks and Bethesda gets extremely poor marks.

And I'll say it again & again, JoCo is doing this with tons of cities/towns, not just a couple- and they're all getting top notch ranks. That's where it's standing ahead.

The key really should be:

JoCo = attract family like seekers
KCMO = attract urban life seekers

There's too many people conflating that and thinking "well JoCo sucks because it doesn't have urban features like KCMO, etc" but that's NOT what people moving there and looking for. They're there for the schools, affordability, kids life, etc. and JoCo is the best at that. Which is why I think it's stupid to say it's not a great suburb when it's literally the best at doing exactly what families are looking for.

By doing this JoCo is a massive catalyst for getting population growth from the family people who don't give a shit about urban living and want the kids stuff (which are most families)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Every metro area in the country big and small has suburbs just like joco. I believe northland growth is very similar to joco. Boy I can tell you are from there.

And you have no idea what you talking about. Bethesda has a busy and dense downtown, but most people live in single family homes in the area and the schools are very good. It's really nice to have good schools in an area that's not 95% white. Montgomery County has good schools and yet it's very diverse at the same time.

It's also nice being in suburb that is 80% blue vs the purple to red burbs around KC.

It's the best of both worlds having a suburban home, but in a big city suburban area with metro rail, amazing parks and bike trails etc. Go to downtown Bethesda and there are tons of families on bikes as it's a starting point for many area trails.

And there are tons of suburbs besides Bethesda. All of them are way better than anything in JoCo.

People move to JoCo if they find a job in KC and settle there. They also move to the northland, lee's summit, cass county, eastern Jackson county and believe it or not families even move to areas like Brookside, Hyde Park and Coleman highlands.

People don't move to JoCo because of JoCo and then find a job in KC because they wanted to live in JoCo. You are silly lol.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:43 pm

I am no psychic.

But I have seen nothing that indicates Arrowhead is moving. They are in a wait and see mode on what the Royals will do.

It's pretty easy to tell because teams strategically leak what they want to soften up the ground for when they go public. It's exactly what the royals are doing now.

For those that were here for the last time were did this, the chiefs were all over the press leaking how they couldn't be competitive without the renovations passing and who knows what would happen.

I have not seen a single article or heard any gossip that the chiefs are not content at TSC.
Totally agree. Didn't the Chiefs even meet with the KS governor during that time? I really don't think the Chiefs have any interest in moving from the TSC at all. I do believe they would be very interested in taking over the TSC if the Royals left. That is something I don't think they were all that fond of during the last time around. They like that the Royals share the cost in the upkeep of the TSC. However, they may have bigger plans now for the area if the Royals left.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:33 am Every metro area in the country big and small has suburbs just like joco. I believe northland growth is very similar to joco. Boy I can tell you are from there.
The Northland is nice, it's growing at the same %, but that's also because it's alot smaller so it has alot more room to grow. I doubt it grows the same % if it's at JoCo size.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

You can say it as many times as you want.

The areas of the the northland that are growing are no different in size than JoCo. What are you talking about?

Here is a thread about it from this forum.
viewtopic.php?t=20275

Also my wife is a teacher who has taught in KC's MO and KS suburbs. Now she teaches out here. She tells me the schools out here are just better. Regardless of any sat scores you may find, lists people come up with etc, they are just better out here and they better prepare you for university. It's also much harder to get into the local universities out here vs MU or KU. And there are way more universities to choose from. We know from experience.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:10 am You can say it as many times as you want.

The areas of the the northland that are growing are no different in size than JoCo. What are you talking about?

Also my wife is a teacher who as taught in KC's MO and KS suburbs. Now she teaches out here. She tells me the schools out here are just better. Regardless of any sat scores you may find, lists people come up with etc, they are just better out here. It's also much harder to get into the local universities out here vs MU or KU. And there are way more universities to choose from. We know from experience.
Okay, maybe the schools are slightly better in Marlyand!- but JoCo is like 10x more affordable than living in Maryland. That's what you're missing, you're not considering all the factors. And that's why people are leaving those types of places because they realize there's no point to paying more when you can get the same thing way cheaper in a place like JoCo, or The Woodlands, TX.

This is what sets KC's Kansas burbs apart from most metro's. It's the highly ranked suburban towns and the very large supply they have of it. Seattle's burbs are too expensive, Indy's burbs schools aren't as good, Detroits burbs don't have as many jobs, Omaha's burbs are too small of a population and boring, Columbus only has a few towns that have the good schools, etc etc etc.

But JoCo's is the one of the very few in the country that is *balanced* and checks ALL the boxes that families look for. It's extremely affordable, has great schools, well-ranked for young professional, good recreation, and it's near a major city that isn't boring. It's not hard to get. There's only a handful of suburbs that can fit that criteria. And no. Columbus isn't one of them.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Not really. Not when you factor in what people make out here. You can get a nice home for 600k here which is fine since so many make six figures here. The homes in JoCo are way too much for what you get. You don't have near the infrastructure, near the parks etc. No transit. Just perfectly plowed roads!

Texas suburbs are way cheaper than JoCo and Dallas actually has a regional transit system. KS has nothing but suburban sprawl and yet the prices of homes in JoCo are stupid.

Regardless people choose high cost of living areas for reasons way beyond how much a home cost. Otherwise, everybody would move to KS, IA, NE, AR, WV etc.

Again, when the Dept of Ag moved to KC, almost nobody would move to KC even though the houses are much cheaper. The only people that would do it are people from the midwest that wanted to go back. Most people have no interest in moving to the Midwest from the east coast and would quit their jobs before doing it. That's just reality. And JoCo would not impress them one bit. They might be surprised Kansas is not all farms, but it wouldn't be enough for most people to move.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:24 am Most people have no interest in moving to the Midwest from the east coast and would quit their jobs before doing it. That's just reality.
Nobody wants to move anywhere they're not familiar with or from. Nobody is clamoring to move to the east coast either. You're just in denial that people actually enjoy JoCo and like to move there from many different places because it's kAnSaS.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I am 100% confident that you can raise a family in suburban Columbus and have just as excellent choices of public schools as in JoCo. Then you could possibly even go to a major university right in town!

WTF dude. You really have been brainwashed by this joco rhetoric. Good to see it's still alive and well there.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:36 am I am 100% confident that you can raise a family in suburban Columbus and have just as excellent choices of public schools as in JoCo. Then you could possibly even go to a major university right in town!

WTF dude. You really have been brainwashed by this joco rhetoric. Good to see it's still alive and well there.
People will always come to JoCo because you get every benefit of the extreme affordability, great schools, jobs, houses, etc & you get to live next to a fun entertaining city in KCMO. You can't get both of that in Indy, Columbus, Orange County or San Jose. That's really all there is to it. That's why JoCo will always be ranked higher and people will always be moving in.
Last edited by AlkaliAxel on Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ 726,000 people moved to the DC area from 2010-2020. That doesn't include the Baltimore area.

This has been fun, but I'm going to bed!
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

I'm not knocking the Northern Virginia suburbs dude. They're awesome, have good schools and have access to a great city. I'm just saying JoCo offers access to a great city too, great schools, and its even got better affordability. Dallas, Houston, Denver's are great too...good schools, affordability, great city access.

But no, JoCo is alot better than a suburb in a place like Indy or Columbus. Even if you got as good of schools and jobs in Indy/Columbus- you're in a significantly more boring city. So that devalues the suburbs there. You have a really good balance of the schools, affordability & entertaining city life in suburbs like KC, Dallas, Houston, NoVa, Atlanta, MPLS, etc.

Have a goodnight.
longviewmo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by longviewmo »

I think the Chiefs will try to move for turning Kauffman’s site into some sort of entertainment district thing if the Royals ever leave.

Not sure why we’re arguing over how much or little joco sucks.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:36 am
WoodDraw wrote: Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:43 pm

I am no psychic.

Totally agree. Didn't the Chiefs even meet with the KS governor during that time? I really don't think the Chiefs have any interest in moving from the TSC at all. I do believe they would be very interested in taking over the TSC if the Royals left. That is something I don't think they were all that fond of during the last time around. They like that the Royals share the cost in the upkeep of the TSC. However, they may have bigger plans now for the area if the Royals left.
Last time time the Glass family killed the downtown talk pretty quickly. They didn't want to pay for it and decided (I think correctly at the time) that they were better off letting the chiefs lead.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man has this thread spun out of control.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

I think our suburbs are fine, and basically on par with what you get all over the country. They are better then some in areas and lesser than others. JOCO is fortunate to have a lot of big employers and local HQ's based there to support the area. They have been growing but honestly the "boom" of those areas started in the mid to late 1990s same for the Jackson county burbs of Lee Summit, Blue Springs, etc. So a little late to the game but now is the time to take steps and set more of a transformational vision for those areas. They have been getting by fine but now you have a very solid foundation and it is time to see how how those areas will identify and plug themselves into the rest of the metro as a whole. Will the citizens want to do that? Maybe, you never know because of the mix of NIMBY's, more conservative minded people mixed in with those with more open, liberal viewpoints, who are more apt to embrace transformational changes. KC as a whole is about 20-25yrs behind a lot of peer metros because we died on the vine for about 10-15yrs in the 80's and early 90's. That happens and we have been making great strides and we have exceled in some areas and still lack in others, but we keep pushing forward and are not satisfied to rest. I see improvements & opportunities. We may not be the best but we are not trash either. I think we will continue to be the best we can and just because you are not number 1 does not mean there is no value in being 3rd, or 8th, or 17th, or whatever. When you are top 20 out of like 200 Metro's you are doing something right and need to keep growing and innovating. Pissing and moaning on about who's metro or suburb is better is a waste of energy and a dick measuring contest to the utmost degree 8) . We have good things, others have better. But I'm not over concerned about the others beyond what I can learn from them and see how to best apply it here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

^ basically what I have been saying all along. The KC suburbs are average. Nothing special. They don't hurt KC, but they don't really help either.

JoCo is fine, but it's not what some people think it is. The years the metro area has grown the fastest are the years that JoCo has not dominated nearly all the growth in the metro. It's simple math. A healthy urban core and a healthy overall metro area is MUCH more important than a healthy single suburban county who's "growth" is nearly entirely at the expense of other parts of the metro area.

Sure, there are metros with suburbs that are not as nice as what KC has, but there are also a lot of metro areas that have much better suburbs than KC has. But those metros also tend to have a much more vibrant urban core and less regional friction and competition.

Anyway, back to Arrowhead.
AlkaliAxel
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by AlkaliAxel »

GRID wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:24 pm ^ basically what I have been saying all along. The KC suburbs are average. Nothing special. They don't hurt KC, but they don't really help either.

JoCo is fine, but it's not what some people think it is. The years the metro area has grown the fastest are the years that JoCo has not dominated nearly all the growth in the metro. It's simple math. A healthy urban core and a healthy overall metro area is MUCH more important than a healthy single suburban county who's "growth" is nearly entirely at the expense of other parts of the metro area.

Sure, there are metros with suburbs that are not as nice as what KC has, but there are also a lot of metro areas that have much better suburbs than KC has. But those metros also tend to have a much more vibrant urban core and less regional friction and competition.

Anyway, back to Arrowhead.
Blah blah blah. You hate KS because you think it killed KCMO (it really didn't) and therefore because of that bitter anger you hold over it you'll never give an ounce of credit to anything in Kansas.

Leawood, Overland Park, Olathe are ranked *by neutral sources* as better towns than any of their peers *consistently*. JoCo is, by every metric out there, an above average suburb. And that's being conservative according to non-biased sources.

So, gee, I wonder who I'd listen to on critiquing JoCo to its peers- the guy who thinks KS destroyed his hometown, or the multitude of neutral sources?

You'll never admit, the urbanists will never admit it, but it's factually true. The end.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't hate Kansas. I just don't think the state offers much. If it were not for KCMO, the state would be dead last in just about every stat you can imagine. Even with JoCo, it's nearly dead last in states people want to move to or visit.

If you dropped Leawood or even Overland park out here in the DC area. It would not be anything special. This area would definitely enhance what is otherwise a very bland boring place though. The end.