Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

People say they enjoy Kansas City. Find out why.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Westside Local - Restaurant & Beer Garden

Post by trailerkid »

I wonder if WL is taking a hit from Beer Kitchen. WL seems a little more upper end, but I'd imagine they're going after a very similar demographic. Beer Kitchen has a big advantage in terms in location and proximity to other similar fare.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

trailerkid wrote: Beer Kitchen has a big advantage in terms in location and proximity to other similar fare.
i haven't been to beer kitchen yet, but it seems somewhat odd to have three beer-focused places on the same corner, all with burger-type fare, owned by the same company.  don't get me wrong, i really like mccoy's and foundry, and will probably like beer kitchen, but it seems somewhat same-y.  (that said, it already sounds better than 180, which i thought was somewhat generic).
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

It does seem slightly odd, but it apparently works. They all seem to be doing well.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
bobbyhawks
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by bobbyhawks »

trailerkid wrote: I wonder if WL is taking a hit from Beer Kitchen. WL seems a little more upper end, but I'd imagine they're going after a very similar demographic. Beer Kitchen has a big advantage in terms in location and proximity to other similar fare.
True, but WL also has an advantage in that it is the only place of its kind North of Westport (if not the city).  To me, WL is more of a Farmhouse meets Flying Saucer place with a one-of-a-kind atmosphere for KC than Beer Kitchen, which is more like Blanc meets McCoys with a very cool, but common atmosphere for Westport.

Beer Kitchen's location is a plus and minus, depending on which events are transpiring in Westport on that weekend.  I think they are far enough apart, and that Kansas City is big enough, it shouldn't make much of a difference.  The only problem I see with Westside Local's location is that they cannot be open late.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: i haven't been to beer kitchen yet, but it seems somewhat odd to have three beer-focused places on the same corner, all with burger-type fare, owned by the same company.  don't get me wrong, i really like mccoy's and foundry, and will probably like beer kitchen, but it seems somewhat same-y.  (that said, it already sounds better than 180, which i thought was somewhat generic).
I think it's pretty smart. If you group a bunch of places with the same clientele at the same corner you create more of a destination when it comes to nightlife.
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

Until Beer Kitchen offers shoe-shines like Westside Local...you can't compare the two.  What a great addition to Westside Local.
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by KC Sporting Life »

^  seriously?  :?
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

i think we're all in denial because there was such a dearth of decent beer options in westport for so long. it's like that debate about "too many pizza places in the crossroads"...
kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

KC Sporting Life wrote: ^  seriously?   :?
&
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

kucer wrote: &

Damn, I'd be down for a good old-fashioned shoe shine while drinking one of their beers. 
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC Sporting Life wrote:
Damn, I'd be down for a good old-fashioned shoe shine while drinking one of their beers. 
no, there is actually a shoe-shine guy there on some nights.  it's actually kind of sad and weird.  i have never seen anyone utilize the gentleman's services, and he just sits there all night.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

How many people regularly wear shoes that need shining these days?
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

To be perfectly honest, I think it's strange to have this service in a bar/restaurant.  I'm still having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that Westside Local is actually doing this, I was sure he was joking. 

On the other hand, I really enjoy getting my shoes shined.  I've had it done two or three times this year alone.  It's very relaxing.  But never here in KC, the only place I've ever seen anyone with a booth was outside of the elevator at the Cosentinos downtown.  And according to shoe shiners, they do more than just shine shoes, they clean and detail them, so they claim that their service is intended for any style of footwear, including sneakers. 
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

KC Sporting Life wrote: according to shoe shiners, they do more than just shine shoes
I thought you were talking about something else...
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

KC Sporting Life wrote: But never here in KC, the only place I've ever seen anyone with a booth was outside of the elevator at the Cosentinos downtown. 
not sure if it's still there, but there used to be a little shoe-shine shop next to the plaza starbucks.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

Some hotels still have someone come in and they have chairs.  I know the Hyatt does...but that is clearly a targeted demo. 
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Most larger airports still have them. 
KC Sporting Life
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Yeah, they're great really.  The last one I had done was right on the street in midtown Manhattan.  I think a few blocks south of Rockefeller Center.  Great way to relax and observe the hustle and bustle.  And in Grand Central, there's a row of at least a dozen chairs, and always a line. 
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

Huh. I've never seen anyone getting their shoes shined anywhere, including Grand Central, although I admit I've never paid attention.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Most larger airports still have them. 
Many state capitol buildings do too.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag