If someone wants to live in a vibrant big city, should he/she move to KC?

KC topics that don't fit anywhere else.

If someone wants to live in a vibrant big city, should he/she move to KC?

No. KC has little to offer in comparison to other cities.
53%
Yes. KC offers the best a big city can.
47%

Total votes: 51

nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: If someone wants to live in a vibrant big city, should he/she move to KC?

Post by nota »

kcmetro wrote: And you're right, if my family/friends weren't in this area, then I wouldn't be living here. I'd have moved as soon as I got out of college. But that is the biggest influence I have with regards to where I live. No sense in moving to the coast if I don't know anyone there. Would be kinda pointless. For me, it's the relationships that make a place special
First - please don't take this as criticism in any way because it's not. Not at all.

Just a different view. We've lived in several different places over our 38 years of marriage and we've made lifelong friends wherever we've gone. Not always family where we have lived but we've always made the effort to go home for visits 4 or 5 times a year.

Our kids benefited from moving out of Emporia, Kansas as pre-teens. They too have made lifelong friends. We stayed in Indiana till they were grown and done with college and started families. We were quite starry eyed when we left and didn't much realize we were leaving family and friends. And we all went back to Emporia twice a year and family visited us as well. All in all, not too bad at all. For a few years there in that time, whenever I stepped out of the airport onto the pavement, I felt like someone had died because it seemed we came home to a lot of funerals.

Hubby was offered a promotion in STL and he took it. My claw marks are still visible along I70 as I was taken away from my kids and grandkids. No matter how many times you visit each other in another city, it's not the same as being there every day and seeing their games and school events, etc. We were always the ones to travel on holidays because of all the jobs and other issues to be worked on for all the family to come to us. Grandkids always spent a week or two with us in the summer without parents. That was fun and cool.

While in STL, we made many friends, many of whom are still friends and we visit with, correspond with, etc. In the end, we had a great life in STL and I'm glad we moved.

Doesn't make it any easier when you miss the grandkids, but that answering machine message with a grandchild screaming into the phone "GRANDMA!!GRANDMA!!!-I GOT A FULL RIDE TO IU!!!" is pretty heartwarming. Or the webcam of baby's first steps, etc.

Being transferred to KC, we were apprehensive because it was further from kids and grandkids. It was also closer to our one surviving parent. So, a mixed bag. But we made a life, kept close to our family, went back to Indiana often to visit. We were actually present in Fort Wayne at the births of two grandchildren. (do you know that Mom can go into labor, call you and you can be in Fort Wayne in time to hear the baby's first cries?)

Our life in KC was nothing short of wonderful. Made more lifelong friends, had more activities than we could possibly do, did more volunteer work than I could possibly do-all of which wove a rich rich fabric of life that I wouldnt' exchange for anything.

Now we are back in Indiana-hubby retired this week-we moved back here last October. We're still in the settling in and making a life stages, but we will love it here again as we loved wherever we have lived. It's good to be back with family, old friends, my old favorite hairdresser, etc. Yes, you can go back.

There is pain involved leaving family and friends. Nothing quite like crying in the driveway full of crying friends or family as the doors are closed on the moving van. Nothing like missing the house you put so much blood sweat and tears into. Nothing like hearing from friends about activities you are no longer part of. Not being there for a grandson winning the big game or granddaughter's dance recital isn't fun but sitting with them when you visit and having them show pix and explain the winning catch or the costumes is good too.

It's not for everyone for sure, but we feel like because we had that courage to make that very first move back in 1980, our family has become far far richer because of our moving. Lots of issues both ways, but bottom line is that we would do it again. Actually, we are up for one more move however, it may or may not be in the cards.

Someone said that you get results in proportion to the effort you put into it and that is true. If you want to move and make the effort to make sure it is successful, it will be successful. In this computer age and with free long distance and webcams and decent travel opportunities, you are able to still maintain ties with loved ones. However, as I said, it's not for everyone and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. 
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: And what point does money overcome lifestyle?
Personally, never.  I recently left a job and took another for exactly that reason.  Lifestyle tops money every time for me, as long as the money affords my chosen lifestyle.

But, per your question regarding "at what point do you choose the non-urban life over the urban life, I'm not your typical poster, I suspect.  I grew up rurally (closest "town" with a population of 350 people) and lived rurally for most of my 31 years (for comparison's sake, I also lived in Chicago prior to Kansas City, so I have run the gamut of population density).  So "non-urban" isn't something that is synonymous to "hellish" for me, nor is "urban." (that's suburbia). So that wouldn't be a deciding factor for me anyway.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

nota wrote: First - please don't take this as criticism in any way because it's not. Not at all.
Just wanted to say thanks for a good read. I enjoyed your post.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Upon further reviews of other cities in terms of urban aesthetics, amenities, and cost. Kansas City has to be the best kept secret in America bar none.

+You can easily access any city in the U.S. because of our geography. We are just as much in tune with the West as the East. Perhaps no city with that same loner mentality and instant accessibility to both coasts. 

+We have loads of urban credibility in terms of historic city design and existing building stock. (putting us a few notches below StL, Cincy, Pittsburgh; but arguably above MPLS, Indy, and Cleveland.) If we ever started to honestly rebuild our core (Paseo, Gilham, Main, Broadway, Prospect, Independence Ave and on and on) HOLY SHIT! :shock:

+Urban KC is unbelievably cheap. Inexplicably cheap. Renting a place within walking distance to the upscale Country Club Plaza can be as low as $500 for a 1 bedroom! Is there anywhere in the entire country where that type of a retail district is that close to affordable housing?

+The people are crazy Midwesterners. The mentality is that of small town kindness (people will actually help you on the side of the road! WHAT?) spread out over a 2 M metro. Pockets of pretense, but everything is take it or leave it for the most part. Newcomers seem just as welcomed to the table as those with 3 generations here. 

Do people in other cities know they can move here and live a big city lifestyle cheaper and with a fraction of the stress they face elsewhere? Think about it: the locals biggest complaint is finding free parking! What? Live here way cheaper, take advantage of more accessible cultural activities (free giant art museum that you can park in front of free of charge, there is nothing of the scale of the Crossroads ANYWHERE in the Midwest), fine dining, tons of local music/art in addition to national coverage, all while still living in a "major league" city. Has Kansas City ever looked at doing some sort of PR just explaining to people in other cities what goes on here in terms of affordability and amenities? I would expect many from the Eastern Seaboard would be flabbergasted if they knew what it cost to live here and what kind of lifestyle people are able to lead. We could seriously have a pipeline from NY/NJ/PHILA/DC if anyone there knew the opportunities for small businesses, retirees, investors, arts that can be pursued here. Our strongest assets we don't seem to exploit. Instead we join in on the jokes and inform everyone that Kansas City is actually in Missouri. 

If KC ever gets its swagger back...WATCH OUT...this city is a beast waiting to be let out of its cage.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

trailerkid wrote:

+Urban KC is unbelievably cheap. Inexplicably cheap. Renting a place within walking distance to the upscale Country Club Plaza can be as low as $500 for a 1 bedroom! Is there anywhere in the entire country where that type of a retail district is that close to affordable housing?
Exactly.
Do people in other cities know they can move here and live a big city lifestyle cheaper and with a fraction of the stress they face elsewhere? Think about it: the locals biggest complaint is finding free parking! What? Live here way cheaper, take advantage of more accessible cultural activities (free giant art museum that you can park in front of free of charge, there is nothing of the scale of the Crossroads ANYWHERE in the Midwest), fine dining, tons of local music/art in addition to national coverage, all while still living in a "major league" city.
Seriously, this is huge for me.  I work in a modestly paying field that I happen to love, and if I were still trying to make a go of it in Chicago, I'd be beyond broke, probably in terrible debt just to manage to keep fed and sheltered, and not even be able to access any cultural offerings around me but the free ones.  I love a city I can actually afford to live in.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote:Urban KC is unbelievably cheap. Inexplicably cheap.
trailerkid wrote:If we ever started to honestly rebuild our core...
I don't think it's inexplicable, I think you kind of just explained it. In a nutshell, rebuilding the core = demand; demand = increased prices.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

mean wrote: I don't think it's inexplicable, I think you kind of just explained it. In a nutshell, rebuilding the core = demand; demand = increased prices.
How does it explain the cheapness of the Plaza/Westport? There is a lot of demand in terms of living, but it is still generally very cheap to live there. KC could redevelop 6-7 large urban nodes akin to Westport and still not have enough demand for the cost of living to markedly escalate. I guess I don't know where you're going with that... 
wescoe
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by wescoe »

Look, i was born and raised in KC, and the place sucks.  Ok, maybe a little harsh, but everytime I go back, I'm ready to leave.  And so is everyone else on my flight.  It would be ok I guess if I had a wife and kids but I don't.  I would have to live on the Plaza and have a really, really good job to live there.  Outside of the plaza, meh.  Yes, Chicago, NYC and LA are more expensive, but you're crazy if you think you would go broke living there.  You get paid more.  I live in Orange County, CA and I'm probably better off financially.  There is a reason it is more expensive to live somewhere nicer.  The same reason a Benz costs more than a KIA.  And if I wake up in the morning and decide I want to go to vegas, or the beach, or Hollywood, or snowboarding, or San Diego, or Mexico, or Disneyland, or countless other places, I can be there by lunchtime.
drumatix
New York Life
New York Life

Post by drumatix »

wescoe wrote: And if I wake up in the morning and decide I want to go to vegas, or the beach, or Hollywood, or snowboarding, or San Diego, or Mexico, or Disneyland, or countless other places, I can be there by lunchtime.
But Europe is 3-4 hours further for you ;)

I'm definitely jealous of you for the things you mentioned (mostly the snowboarding) because California is visually stunning and pleasant on the skin - but I could never live there. The "won't someone PLEASE think of the children!" mentality is a little bit out of control for my tastes. I'm out there a few times a year & see it for myself. MO is politically broken in a lot of ways, but it's broken in a way that I can somehow tolerate and occasionally enjoy.

If I were going strictly on looks & locale I think I'd take the East Coast of Sicily over southern CA, as it's just as pretty, but the mob corruption & brownouts are a little bit more tolerable to me than the hive-mind of CA.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

wescoe wrote: Look, i was born and raised in KC, and the place sucks.  Ok, maybe a little harsh, but everytime I go back, I'm ready to leave.  And so is everyone else on my flight.  It would be ok I guess if I had a wife and kids but I don't.  I would have to live on the Plaza and have a really, really good job to live there.  Outside of the plaza, meh.  Yes, Chicago, NYC and LA are more expensive, but you're crazy if you think you would go broke living there.  You get paid more.  I live in Orange County, CA and I'm probably better off financially.  There is a reason it is more expensive to live somewhere nicer.  The same reason a Benz costs more than a KIA.  And if I wake up in the morning and decide I want to go to vegas, or the beach, or Hollywood, or snowboarding, or San Diego, or Mexico, or Disneyland, or countless other places, I can be there by lunchtime.
I live on the Plaza.  My "really good job" is teaching. I do fine, but no way did my salary stretch far enough in Chicago without living with a bunch of people.

I don't care one way or another for much of what CA has to offer, apart from its rural areas, myself; to each, his own.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

wescoe wrote: I live in Orange County, CA and I'm probably better off financially. 
1. You'd have to pay me to live in Orange County. Talk about everywhere you go looking like somewhere you've been...

2. If you're rich, I wouldn't choose to live in KC unless your wealth or business required it. There is still a large group of people in the working class or those that must worry about money. These people will not be able to afford the kind of amenities/lifestyle they can get in Kansas City in most East Coast or West Coast cities. I seriously doubt someone with a job that can only afford $600/month in rent will find a job in LA that will allow them to spend 3-4X that.

3. Please describe what you do in LA that can't be done in the Midwest. Your examples should be better than touristy stuff like drive around Hollywood, go to the beach, etc. because we know those are not something that people do daily and/or greatly enhance your quality of life. I understand your point if you're actually taking advantage of the cultural distinctions, but most people lead the same boring lives in the OC that they lead in the OP. It's just that the OC looks down on others for not being as suburbanized.

Something I really, really hate about LA is that only 50 years ago it was a conservative area-- kind of like the antithesis of the Bay Area. And now it thinks it's like culture central. I'd still rather move to anywhere near or an outpost of San Fran than LA area. How things have changed...
Cyclops
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Cyclops »

wescoe wrote: Look, i was born and raised in KC, and the place sucks.  Ok, maybe a little harsh, but everytime I go back, I'm ready to leave.  And so is everyone else on my flight. 
Funny, I was in LA for the last couple of weeks and I couldn't wait to get the hell out of the smog layered, littered, overcrowded, overpriced, and seriously overrated, traffic jammed cesspool of an American City. Can't really speak for the other 150 or so people on my flight, like I guess you can with some authority, but I'll take my clean and green KC any day.

Please by all means stay away. Maybe a little harsh.........
the only thing for sure is change.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

wescoe wrote: Look, i was born and raised in KC, and the place sucks.  Ok, maybe a little harsh, but everytime I go back, I'm ready to leave.  And so is everyone else on my flight.  It would be ok I guess if I had a wife and kids but I don't.  I would have to live on the Plaza and have a really, really good job to live there.  Outside of the plaza, meh.  Yes, Chicago, NYC and LA are more expensive, but you're crazy if you think you would go broke living there.  You get paid more.  I live in Orange County, CA and I'm probably better off financially.  There is a reason it is more expensive to live somewhere nicer.  The same reason a Benz costs more than a KIA.  And if I wake up in the morning and decide I want to go to vegas, or the beach, or Hollywood, or snowboarding, or San Diego, or Mexico, or Disneyland, or countless other places, I can be there by lunchtime.
But doesn't it suck not being close to KU sporting events?
WSPanic
Supporter

Post by WSPanic »

And if I wake up in the morning and decide I want to go to vegas, or the beach, or Hollywood, or snowboarding, or San Diego, or Mexico, or Disneyland, or countless other places, I can be there by lunchtime.
And, if you wake up in the morning and decide you want to go to the grocery store and dry cleaners - you can have that done by lunchtime as well.

I just spent a long weekend in LA - I thought it was awesome. Although, it took 45 minutes to get anywhere. Not a big deal while on vacation, but I could see that getting to me after a while if I lived there. Lots of traffic - always. I know it can be avoided to a certain extent, but having to make entertainment and lifestyle choices based largely on local traffic is something I like not having to deal with.
If it doesn't have street-level retail, it's an abortion.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

trailerkid wrote: How does it explain the cheapness of the Plaza/Westport? There is a lot of demand in terms of living, but it is still generally very cheap to live there. KC could redevelop 6-7 large urban nodes akin to Westport and still not have enough demand for the cost of living to markedly escalate. I guess I don't know where you're going with that... 
I was just pointing out that demand determines price and level of redevelopment effort. If there were tons of people knocking down the door to move into urban KC, like they are in places such as Portland, Chicago, or New York, prices would be a lot more like Portland, Chicago, and New York, and urban redevelopment along the corridors you mentioned (Paseo, Gilham, Main, Broadway, Prospect, Independence Ave) would be moving along briskly. So basically what I was saying is that, if these corridors were redeveloped to create the HOLY SHIT scenario you described, the unbelievably, inexplicably cheap benefit would go away. Which is fine with me. I'd rather have urban property values closer to Wicker Park than Tuscaloosa.

I don't know what you mean by "KC could redevelop 6-7 large urban nodes akin to Westport and still not have enough demand" because that overabundance of supply not only wouldn't create demand, it would necessarily reduce prices.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

for rentals, portland seems like the best bargain in america.  outside the pearl and maybe a couple of other areas, the prices seem rather KC-esque.  my cousin is paying $500 a month for his share of a 3-bedroom 100 year old house in what he says is a hip area of portland (he is hip in the "greasy indie rock guy" sense, like much of portland). 
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

^^^
there's a pretty distinctive difference in housing prices when purchasing a home in Portland, from what I've seen (could be wrong though), which tends to be what most Americans aspire to at some point.  However, I still think KC could/should stand to be cheaper in some of its urban areas - most of downtown, especially the xroads comes to mind.  No doubt there is a tremendous variety of amenities here per dollar, if you're willing to look. 
are we spinning free?
wescoe
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by wescoe »

WSPanic wrote: And, if you wake up in the morning and decide you want to go to the grocery store and dry cleaners - you can have that done by lunchtime as well.

I just spent a long weekend in LA - I thought it was awesome. Although, it took 45 minutes to get anywhere. Not a big deal while on vacation, but I could see that getting to me after a while if I lived there. Lots of traffic - always. I know it can be avoided to a certain extent, but having to make entertainment and lifestyle choices based largely on local traffic is something I like not having to deal with.
For the WSP shows?  I was there Friday/Saturday.  And I do live in Orange County which is a quite bit different than LA.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

rxlexi wrote: ^^^
there's a pretty distinctive difference in housing prices when purchasing a home in Portland, from what I've seen (could be wrong though), which tends to be what most Americans aspire to at some point.  However, I still think KC could/should stand to be cheaper in some of its urban areas - most of downtown, especially the xroads comes to mind.  No doubt there is a tremendous variety of amenities here per dollar, if you're willing to look. 
Seriously; this is so true.  People can complain all they want (it's the midsize-city-in-the-Midwest way, after all), but you definitely get a lot of bang for your buck when it comes to cost of living/amenities available. 
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

chrizow wrote: for rentals, portland seems like the best bargain in america.  outside the pearl and maybe a couple of other areas, the prices seem rather KC-esque.  my cousin is paying $500 a month for his share of a 3-bedroom 100 year old house in what he says is a hip area of portland (he is hip in the "greasy indie rock guy" sense, like much of portland). 
I'm convinced Portland is probably the best city in America for twentysomethings. It's overwhelming how many interesting and hip urban corners you'll find all over that city.