Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Re: Westport's fate post-P&L

Post by kcmetro »

kucer wrote: Maitre D = MikeStinkey ???
Powercat = RustyKSU
NDTeve
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by NDTeve »

:lol:
"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first."
- Mark Twain
kcmetro
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by kcmetro »

kucer wrote: Maitre D = MikeStinkey ???
kucer = kucer  :shock:

kucer
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by kucer »

kcmetro wrote: kucer = kucer   :shock:

:D
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

kcmetro wrote: Powercat = RustyKSU
huh?  Why does my name continue to show up where I have nothing to do with the discussion...this is awesome.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Steve52
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Steve52 »

Sad to see Westport reduced to a "no way I'm going there" destination.
Jess
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by Jess »

I'll still be going there.  I prefer going out in (or close to) the neighborhood.
Last edited by Jess on Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Steve52 wrote: Sad to see Westport reduced to a "no way I'm going there" destination.
Fine by me.  It keeps the 'tards away and leaves more room for us locals.
mykem
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by mykem »

When I get back there I plan to go to both. Start out at westport, and then hit a cab up to P&L to finish up the night.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Woo-hoo - Westport Landing is getting a $1 crap store. 

http://economy.kansascity.com/?q=node/1046

"Authentic stagecoach"??  :roll: Seriously Joyce? :^o
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

I'm completely bummed about this...next up to ensure this becomes a neighborhood-in-decline is a check cashing place and furniture rental store with bars in the windows.  Plus, the signage dominates the entire shopping center.  Makes a person wonder why this location was chosen over the old Osco on Westport/Main (although I'd hate for a dollar place to go in there, either). 
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

As someone who lives three blocks from this location, I actually look forward to this store.  It will be really handy to have some place within walking distance to pick up small items.

Our neighborhood needs practical retail in addition to "destination" retail and entertainment.
Cheffreygo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Cheffreygo »

I can see both sides of this.  This doesn't necessarily indicate "neighborhood-in-decline" status.  There are many booming areas of the city with dollar stores.  Sure, there could always be a better tenant, but it's better than vacancy!
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Yeh... wishing they'd just bulldoze the whole hideous fucking thing and throw up a high density mixed use development.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCTigerFan
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCTigerFan »

The entire Westport Road/SW Trfwy intersection is horrific.  Bulldoze it all except for the great dry cleaners building on the SW corner and start over.  First, try and make it even remotely pedestrian friendly.  Then again, it isn't even auto friendly.  Try getting out of the Wesport Landing parking lot.  :shock:
Tosspot wrote: Yeh... wishing they'd just bulldoze the whole hideous fucking thing and throw up a high density mixed use development.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCTigerFan wrote: The entire Westport Road/SW Trfwy intersection is horrific.  Bulldoze it all except for the great dry cleaners building on the SW corner and start over.  First, try and make it even remotely pedestrian friendly.  Then again, it isn't even auto friendly.  Try getting out of the Wesport Landing parking lot.   :shock:
Agreed totally. And I too have had the salient observation that the dry cleaning building is the only thing in that radius of doom worth preserving, of that clusterfu**.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
heatherkay
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by heatherkay »

I won't argue with anything you've said -- I hate that intersection like poison. But can we find a way to save the Record Bar too?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

KCTigerFan wrote: The entire Westport Road/SW Trfwy intersection is horrific.  Bulldoze it all except for the great dry cleaners building on the SW corner and start over.  First, try and make it even remotely pedestrian friendly.  Then again, it isn't even auto friendly.  Try getting out of the Wesport Landing parking lot.   :shock:
Here you go....lots of discussion about that very item

http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=4584.0
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
midtown
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by midtown »

heatherkay wrote: I won't argue with anything you've said -- I hate that intersection like poison. But can we find a way to save the Record Bar too?
That's fine with me, just tie it to a stipulation that their shows have to actually start within 3 friggin hours of the advertised time.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Dollar stores serve a purpose. Because all the big box, discount stores locate on the fringes of every city/region; it is imperative to have small, general merchandise stores near working class people that might need a broom, cutting board, batteries, pet food, or anything else not found at a gas station. "Dollar" stores are basically modern versions of the five and dime. I'm not saying they're perfect as I have many complaints about my Dollar General, but I shop Dollar General because it's within walking distance while Dillon's, Target, Hy-Vee, Wal-Mart, etc. are a bus ride away. The small, corner grocer also seem to be making a comeback to complement these modern variety stores.

Complaining about a dollar store going into a sleazy strip mall?  :D