Big XII Tournament, the P+L, downtown in general.

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Big XII Tournament, the P+L, downtown in general.

Post by FangKC »

I drove through the plaza tonight around 5:30 pm and noticed a lot  of college-age people walking around in matching pullovers, sweatshirts, etc. Assumed they were in town for the tourney.

A sidenote: Some of the plaza fountains are up and running.

Last night, I was driving around downtown and noticed several different groups of college-age people wandering around various parts of downtown like they were exploring.
There is no fifth destination.
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

I think I am going to Mango Room after.  I feel like local places aren't getting enough business even though I am pushing them.  It's my pitty dinner.
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

PumpkinStalker wrote: I think I am going to Mango Room after.  I feel like local places aren't getting enough business even though I am pushing them.  It's my pitty dinner.
I know it's probably not good to have an agenda but when I'm working tomorrow night and Saturday I plan to push local places as much as possible.  I'm rationalizing that in part with the assumption that they already know about the P&L District (since that's where the festival grounds are), so if they are asking me for a suggestion it means they want something other than the P&L anyway.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Crowds seemed relatively sparse until about halftime of the 2pm game.  Afterwards, the live block was mobbed, with a private party at the Rock Bar balcony, no trespassing!  We ducked into Lucky Strike, plenty of room and friendly people!  The first-timer I was with is looking forward to spring and summer.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

PumpkinStalker wrote: Well, we are busier than crap at the Crowne Plaza Fan Info booth.  Mobs and mobs of people today.  Lots of hotel guests are furious because Crowne Plaza doesn't pay extra for the channels carying games.  So they can't watch in their rooms or the hotel bar.  People are PISSED about that.
I'm guessing these are non-Big 12 games?  All of the Big 12 games showed today either on ESPN (i don't remember if it was 1 or 2), or channel 8 on Time Warner (whichever local channel that is...)
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

ComandanteCero wrote: I'm guessing these are non-Big 12 games?  All of the Big 12 games showed today either on ESPN (i don't remember if it was 1 or 2), or channel 8 on Time Warner (whichever local channel that is...)
Yeah, they were shown on KCMI 38 "The Spot," which is the sister station KSHB 41.  Both are local channels.

Do not they carry local channels?
KC is the way to be!
PumpkinStalker
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by PumpkinStalker »

NEGATIVE!  They absolutely, did not receive, the Big 12 games that were playing tonight at Sprint/Municipal.  Not in rooms, not in hotel lounge.  One lady was a local and bought a room just to be where the action was, and would stop by hourly to yell at the front desk for being "cheap"!  Comical, but she wasn't the only one upset.  Lots were frustrated.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

its all about their satellite feeds...lots of hotels don't have the spot..
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I was down in KC Live and I heard a lot of people talking about places to go eat.  I heard places like Jacks Stack, City Tavern, Margaritas, Jazz etc.

The places in the district were busy, but not packed it didn't seem.

I wouldn't worry to much about the "locals".
MightyKC
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Re: Advice???

Post by MightyKC »

Maitre D wrote: Alright - I've wrestled up a group of ~8 for tomorrow nite.  We'd like to go to the P&L to drink for 4 hours.   What is my best option?

I guess the real question is:  what BAR takes reservations?   Any?   Am I just screwed?  I can't be there before 7pm due to work constraints.   And b/c the group is 1/2 girls, they said they don't want to be outside.

MD - The best way to get a table is just to pick a place and look for people that are wearing shirts/jerseys of teams that are getting ready to play.  There is quite a bit of table turnover.  I was in the Live block from about 11a-11p today and was able to get a seat for four at every bar within about 20 minutes.  We walked into Gordon Biersch at about 7pm tonight and had a table for 6 within 15 minutes.  I wouldn't abort the mission quite yet.  It is a pretty exciting environment. Good luck tomorrow night.
"I'm asking you to believe.  Not just in my ability to bring about real change in Washington ... I'm asking you to believe in yours."  - Barack Obama
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

ESPN had some really great shots of the district last night, both the exterior facing the SC and the interior courtyard. They also showed the CBE a ton.
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

Go to Lucky Strike... I was there last night, and there were plenty of couches available around 7pm, in the Bar area.  And they have food - and no cover!
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
ignatius
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by ignatius »

Lucky Strike is my favorite place in the district even though I have no interest to bowl.  It has a nice dark lounge.  And since it's not as visible as other places and might appear too tied to bowling for those who do see the giant pin, it's probably not going to always be packed - it's a big place.  Will likely be a good semi-secret spot for the locals when P&L becomes jammed.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

MightyKC wrote: MD - The best way to get a table is just to pick a place and look for people that are wearing shirts/jerseys of teams that are getting ready to play.  There is quite a bit of table turnover.   I was in the Live block from about 11a-11p today and was able to get a seat for four at every bar within about 20 minutes.  We walked into Gordon Biersch at about 7pm tonight and had a table for 6 within 15 minutes.  I wouldn't abort the mission quite yet.  It is a pretty exciting environment. Good luck tomorrow night.
That's actually a good point - I hadn't thought of that.

I'd bet the KU-NEB types will be out of there following that game's conclusion at 8pm.  So to beat those coming from the actual game, I need to be there 745ish?
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Maitre D wrote: That's actually a good point - I hadn't thought of that.

I'd bet the KU-NEB types will be out of there following that game's conclusion at 8pm.  So to beat those coming from the actual game, I need to be there 745ish?
I'd get there earlier. Like halftime, because the Hawks will be up by 30 or so, and Nebraska fans will be leaving to drown their sorrows. 
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KCFutbol
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by KCFutbol »

KCMax wrote: I'd get there earlier. Like halftime, because the Hawks will be up by 30 or so, and Nebraska fans will be leaving to drown their sorrows. 

Do you believe in miracles?
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

KCFutbol wrote: Image

Do you believe in miracles?

FREAKING AWESOME!!!!
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

The Star has a nice article on the success of the P&L District thus far in the Big XII tourney.  What was nice were some of the comments at the end.

From the article:

This is great, this is the best place to hold an event like this,” said Don Adams of St. Joseph, who attended the games and ate at Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant with son Brett. “I like the open atmosphere, lots of bars, lots of restaurants, lots to do.”

"With 35,000 people going to be in this concentrated area it’s going to be a really great time,” said Mark Besinger of Overland Park. “I love the Power & Light District. It’s a wonderful addition.”

From Reader Comments:

Coming to KC for the first time has been exciting for me! Yes, there is some construction downtown, and parking is a bit tricky, but what a great experience this has been for me and my family so far! Thank you KC, for such a warm welcome!! We will definitely be back.

Your new downtown is fantastic!! I love the outoor area they call the "living room" below the cool canopy.Where does the Max bus stop in the P&L District? 

Posted by: from Corpus Christi

KC - Your downtown area is awesome. I am completely amazed at how much stuff there is to do. Great job to all the suits and construction workers for building such a wonderful place. I'll definitely be back.

CONGRATS KC! Job Well Done! We moved here from Chicago and it is great to see a downtown become "something special".... With concerts, activities, events, sporting events,,,this can only grown during the years to come! The "older KC Stigma" now has a chance of being burried to make room for the new and improved downtown. We will definitely be a familiar face around this area for years to come. 
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Your new downtown is fantastic!! I love the outoor area they call the "living room" below the cool canopy.Where does the Max bus stop in the P&L District? 

Posted by: from Corpus Christi
I'm sorry, but the way the MAX avoids the entire Sprint Center and P&L is just a waist.  I know the stops at 12th11th and Grand are close, but they are very confusing, not visible and even somewhat intimidating being away from everything and everybody.

They should have a max stop right between the arena and the district, or at least visible from them on one end or the other.

The only people using max are those that are staying at the convention center hotels and going to the plaza.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

http://kansascity.bizjournals.com/kansa ... tory3.html

Friday, March 14, 2008

Hoops, P&L District make it game on for Downtown

Kansas City Business Journal - by Suzanna Stagemeyer and Steve Vockrodt

The combination of basketball and balmy weather prompted clusters of fans and curious locals to peer in windows of the entertainment district's shops or vie for the rare open seat on its restaurants' patios.

"It's just something Downtown hasn't seen before," said Rick Usher, Kansas City's downtown projects coordinator. "We'll probably see a lot more traffic from people not going to the tournament who want to see what's happening Downtown," Usher said.

There is no fifth destination.