What can we do for Green. . .

Come here to talk about topics that are not related to development, or even Kansas City.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: What can we do for Green. . .

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

pittsburghparoyal wrote: But greenies....why should they live in JoCo? 

Aren't they going to be dependent on their cars, which causes them to drive more, which emit more greenhouse gas into the air?

Eh?
It was a joke. 
Last edited by KCMax on Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

enough wrote: live closer to home.

that's the message in an article on the sierra club website.
http://missouri.sierraclub.org/thb/cons ... -home.html

think about it.
The thing that many don't understand is that many 'burb dwellers like me DO "live closer to home." If we moved to the city, our life activities would cost more fuel.

Here's where I went this week:

Fabric store
Quilt store
Grocery store
Doctor's office
Briarcliff Village
Airport
DT (one trip-unusual)

Those don't count the stops I made at the bank, the vet, gas station, Office Max, and Bed Bath and Beyond, the library and a couple of friends' houses - all of these were made within the trips to the listed places. They also don't take into account the carpooling I did on a few trips.

If I moved to the city, I would still do all the things I listed above, but they would all be further away because most, or maybe none of them aren't available in the city.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: After being out of town for a week I came back to find this elipsoid title more than a bit confusing - I thought Nota wanted advice on how she can score free pot. 
:lol: :lol: :lol:
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: The thing that many don't understand is that many 'burb dwellers like me DO "live closer to home." If we moved to the city, our life activities would cost more fuel.

Here's where I went this week:

Fabric store
Quilt store
Grocery store
Doctor's office
Briarcliff Village
Airport
DT (one trip-unusual)

Those don't count the stops I made at the bank, the vet, gas station, Office Max, and Bed Bath and Beyond, the library and a couple of friends' houses - all of these were made within the trips to the listed places. They also don't take into account the carpooling I did on a few trips.

If I moved to the city, I would still do all the things I listed above, but they would all be further away because most, or maybe none of them aren't available in the city.
Library, check
Groceries, check
Doctor, check

That's a good start on your list.

Believe it or not "the city" is not some bombed out ghetto with absolutely no services  of any kind.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock+load wrote: Library, check
Groceries, check
Doctor, check

That's a good start on your list.

Believe it or not "the city" is not some bombed out ghetto with absolutely no services  of any kind.
Library, yes. Grocery shopping is substandard at best in the city according to what I read here from multiple posters. My doctor is at St. Lukes Northland. What about the other stops I made?

Who on earth is saying anything about a "bombed out ghetto?" There are cool places in the city. Just not any of my regular destinations. As I said, I already DO "live closer to home." Just not the one you approve of.
lock+load
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by lock+load »

nota wrote: Library, yes. Grocery shopping is substandard at best in the city according to what I read here from multiple posters. My doctor is at St. Lukes Northland. What about the other stops I made?

Who on earth is saying anything about a "bombed out ghetto?" There are cool places in the city. Just not any of my regular destinations. As I said, I already DO "live closer to home." Just not the one you approve of.
There are also vet's in the city, we have an Office Max, and plenty of banks and gas stations.  I don't even know what a quilt shop is, so I can't speak to that.  Briarcliff Village and the Airport are where they are.

I think the point is, your activities are focused near your home, because that is most convenient.  Those who live in the urban core also take care of most activities near their home.  You can always switch doctor's or grocery stores, etc.
eclair
New York Life
New York Life

Post by eclair »

If more people lived amd shopped in the Urban Core, then more services would spring up.  I live near KU med and have to drive way out in KS burbs to shop for certain things.  That definitely annoys me.  But if we lived more densly, the stores and service providers would all be close by and no one would have to waste a bunch of gas to buy some fabric. 
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: It was a joke. 
No kidding?

Thanks.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

eclair wrote: If more people lived amd shopped in the Urban Core, then more services would spring up.  I live near KU med and have to drive way out in KS burbs to shop for certain things.  That definitely annoys me.  But if we lived more densly, the stores and service providers would all be close by and no one would have to waste a bunch of gas to buy some fabric. 
Way out? It takes 15 minutes, at most, to get from the KU Med area to Hobby Lobby in Mission or Wal-Mart in Roeland Park, both of which sell fabric.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KC0KEK wrote: Way out? It takes 15 minutes, at most, to get from the KU Med area to Hobby Lobby in Mission or Wal-Mart in Roeland Park, both of which sell fabric.
15 minutes by car.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Well, if getting it on foot is a requirement, you're going to have to move to NE JoCo. In fact, NE JoCo is one of the few places in the metro where there are plenty of restaurants, shops, grocery stores, etc. within an easy walk or bike ride.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

lock+load wrote: There are also vet's in the city, we have an Office Max, and plenty of banks and gas stations.  I don't even know what a quilt shop is, so I can't speak to that.  Briarcliff Village and the Airport are where they are.
My vet isn't in the city. My vet is within a mile of my house. Why on earth would I change? My kitties love her. The quilt shop is within a mile also.
I think the point is, your activities are focused near your home, because that is most convenient.  Those who live in the urban core also take care of most activities near their home.  You can always switch doctor's or grocery stores, etc.
NO, the point is that we chose our home to be near to all the things that are part of our life, not vice-versa. I'm sure people who live in the urban core did the same. But that isn't me, never will be me. Why on earth should anyone change doctors just to please someone's idea of an urban utopia?

And as I said in an earlier post, grocery stores in the city are substandard by the words of many who post here. I have no desire to change. I like one stop shopping. My life isn't for shopping all over town hunting for this and that. I like stores that fill many needs.

Yes, there is an Office Depot and an Office Max DT, but most often when I've stopped there, they have both been out of whatever I was looking for.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

nota wrote: NO, the point is that we chose our home to be near to all the things that are part of our life, not vice-versa.
Huh? Maybe where you work. Or family. Did you move there because you're close to that vet? Or did you find that vet after you moved there?

The point isn't, "i'm within 15 minutes of everything I need." Everyone in a city like this can say that, even me in my DT apartment. The difference is...did you walk to any of those things you did last week? Or did you drive to all of them? When you live DT, you can walk to a lot of things, not all, but a lot of things. You can't do that in the 'burbs unless you're living in some of the few and far between dense areas.
You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once. Not in 'Nam of course.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I can walk or take a bus to all of those things -- and I do.  Well, except the vet, since I have no pets -- but I don't think I'd make housing choices on the rare event that I'd have to go to MY vet.
LenexatoKCMO
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by LenexatoKCMO »

Yeah the vet is like a once or twice a year event at most.  My vet is in Lawrence but I have never felt a need to move close to her - If I have a real emergency I would find an emergency clinic somewhere near DT.  How often are you turning out quilts?  - are you really there on a weekly basis? 
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: When you live DT, you can walk to a lot of things, not all, but a lot of things. You can't do that in the 'burbs unless you're living in some of the few and far between dense areas.
Nope, the point is of course that there are few of the things I mentioned DT. So even if I lived there, I would have to drive to where I wanted to go. Where do you get my favorite blood oranges DT? Or passionfruit? Both seasonal and only available in a bigger market where they sell enough to turn them and keep them fresh.

I live in the burbs and am within a mile or two from everything I mentioned plus countless more things I didnt' mention.
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

LenexatoKCMO wrote: Yeah the vet is like a once or twice a year event at most.  My vet is in Lawrence but I have never felt a need to move close to her - If I have a real emergency I would find an emergency clinic somewhere near DT.  How often are you turning out quilts?  - are you really there on a weekly basis? 
So, now you are making my life decisions for me? Or for my cats? What difference does it make how often I make quilts or go to the quilt shop? If I choose to go there 17 times a day or 17 times a decade, that is my choice.

I implore you to live where you wish and I promise I won't criticize your choices-in fact, I'm glad you do. I expect the same courtesy for the choices I make. Or since you dont' seem to be able to manage that, you may have the last word on it.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

Actually, this is Olathe's new marketing slogan:

"Olathe - come for the vets, stay for the passion fruit!"

For what its worth, I can walk to my vet and a grocery store that has passion fruit. Come stay in beautiful Mission, KS!
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

staubio wrote: I can walk or take a bus to all of those things -- and I do.  Well, except the vet, since I have no pets -- but I don't think I'd make housing choices on the rare event that I'd have to go to MY vet.
Honey, you are late to the party here. We made our housing choice on proximity and convenient travel to the airport which is where my husband goes to go to work. We are 12 miles door to door from the American gate. Then after we drew that circle on the map, we looked for areas that had the other amenities we were looking for and drew circles around them. Our preference is of course the 'burbs, but not just any place in the 'burbs. We have to have conveniences that we use.

However, you of course are free to choose how and where you live and base it on whatever amenities you choose and I applaud you for doing so.  
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by nota »

KCMax wrote: Actually, this is Olathe's new marketing slogan:

"Olathe - come for the vets, stay for the passion fruit!"

For what its worth, I can walk to my vet and a grocery store that has passion fruit. Come stay in beautiful Mission, KS!
So, you don't live in DT either? That's OK-I dont' live in Olathe. And I'll bet you my next paycheck against yours that you dont' know whether your store has passionfruit or not, but nice try. In fact, I'll bet you don't even know what they look like, how to choose them or what to do with them after you find them.

BTW-I love Mission, KS and I'm also betting that you couldn't walk to the vet with either of my cats and certainly not with both of them. Not even if the vet was on the same street.