No birds in Kansas City?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by Cyburbia »

It's sunrise on whatt will eventually be a scorching summer day in the Kansas City suburbs. The bedroom window is open a little bit, since it's somewhat cooler at night. The sound coming through the window ... nothing. Excepting the distant rumble of traffic, there are no other sounds. No chirping, no fluttering of wings ... no birds, unlike everyplace else I've ever lived.

Through the day, I don't see any or hear any birds. As the day goes on, some bird-like noises emerge, but they're the mating calls of large, loud insects. The ear-splitting buzz of cicadas kicks in about 3:00 PM, and continues through the night.

So ... where are the birds?
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
QueSi2Opie
Bryant Building
Bryant Building
Location: Hangin' with the cons, crazies, and crackheads on 11th & Grand.

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by QueSi2Opie »

West Nile Virus...

Seriously though, this heat has caused many of the beautiful birds that eat from my feeder to disappear. Same with the squirrels. With the exception of today's rain, we're in a serious draught. Kansas City does lie in one of the biggest migratory paths in the United States with Squaw Creek National Wildlife Refuge to the North and Marias Des Cygnes National Wildlife Area to the South.
The Pendergast Poltergeist Project!

I finally divorced beer and proposed to whiskey, but I occassionally cheat with fine wine.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by bahua »

I still have crows and pigeons taking a dump on my windowsill when I'm not looking.
KCDevin

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by KCDevin »

we have some birds over here, I haven't been to KC recently with school.
Not many birds here either.
The Summit
Pad site
Pad site

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by The Summit »

We have tons of them over here in the east metro (where we have dense trees and lots of lakes so they don't fry on the KS prarie :mrgreen: )JK
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by StL_Dan »

I'm up early, around 430. I hear a ton of birds here in Olathe.

I also see a bazillion of them flying overhead in the afternoons after work when I'm out in the back yard playing with the youngins' hoping they aren't going to drop a load or two on me.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
DiggityDawg
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by DiggityDawg »

I saw a really odd lookin' one the other day when I was out for a bike ride...medium sized, but black with red-orange streaks thru its feathers & a BRIGHT orange beak. I have NO idea what the hell that thing was.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by StL_Dan »

DiggityDawg wrote:I saw a really odd lookin' one the other day when I was out for a bike ride...medium sized, but black with red-orange streaks thru its feathers & a BRIGHT orange beak. I have NO idea what the hell that thing was.
It was a jayhawk that had taken a wrong turn. They aren't as "pretty" in real life are they?
nota
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by nota »

StL_Dan wrote:
DiggityDawg wrote:I saw a really odd lookin' one the other day when I was out for a bike ride...medium sized, but black with red-orange streaks thru its feathers & a BRIGHT orange beak. I have NO idea what the hell that thing was.
It was a jayhawk that had taken a wrong turn. They aren't as "pretty" in real life are they?
Be careful with that kind of talk, you know that Jayhawks eat Tigers for breakfast!!! Yum, Tiger butter...........

Here in my yard and subdivision in the Northland, there are plenty of birds. We have 2 Cardinal couples, 2 BlueJay couples, countless sparrows, zillions of hummingbirds, doves, robins, and of course those pesky starlings/grackles.

My favorites are the finches-they are so pretty. We have at least 8 pairs who feed regularly at our feeders.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by phxcat »

Be careful with that kind of talk, you know that Jayhawks eat Tigers for breakfast!!! Yum, Tiger butter...........
True- but it is important to note that they actually only eat the parts of the tiger that are left over from the Wildcat's breakfast- if a Jayhawk found a live Tiger, it wouldn't dare to get close to it!
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by StL_Dan »

phxcat wrote:
True- but it is important to note that they actually only eat the parts of the tiger that are left over from the Wildcat's breakfast- if a Jayhawk found a live Tiger, it wouldn't dare to get close to it!
Funny how noone knew the "Wildcat" existed and/or paid any attention to it before the 1990's.

What an unusual phenomenon indeed.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by KCPowercat »

Dan.....KSU has one of the most successful men's basketball programs in Big 8/12 history.....the football team was pretty much unknown until the 90's....some schools still aren't sure if they have football (mu/ku to name a couple)
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
KCgridlock

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by KCgridlock »

Yea, sure...
Last edited by KCgridlock on Fri Sep 12, 2003 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bahua
Administrator
Administrator

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by bahua »

KC wrote:Dan.....KSU has one of the most successful men's basketball programs in Big 8/12 history.....the football team was pretty much unknown until the 90's....some schools still aren't sure if they have football (mu/ku to name a couple)
That can be reduced to 2/3 history.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by phxcat »

Funny how noone knew the "Wildcat" existed and/or paid any attention to it before the 1990's.
I know that all schools (inluding KU and MU) have bandwagon fans, but just so you know, I was there when K-State beat North Texas State in '89.
but half the fans in MO still call K-State, KU
That's because they need some edumucation.

WTF is a Jayhawk and why would you want one on anything you own?
Good question! Going back to Bleeding Kansas, I guess it should be ferocious, then somone put those yellow boots on it and now who knows what it is? Ranks right up there with the Oregon Ducks in the fear category.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by trailerkid »

Uhh Grid...Jayhawkers were people from Kansas that were fighting slavery. I think there's something noble and empowering in the image of the Jayhawk.
KCgridlock

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by KCgridlock »

trailerkid wrote:Uhh Grid...Jayhawkers were people from Kansas that were fighting slavery. I think there's something noble and empowering in the image of the Jayhawk.
I know, we went throuth this before :).

I do wish that KU would build up a KC campus so I could get my Master's faster. UMKC isn't cutting it.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by trailerkid »

You mean you would attend a branch of KU??? Wouldn't that be against your moral code?
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:.....the football team was pretty much unknown until the 90's....
duuuuuh
KC wrote:some schools still aren't sure if they have football (mu/ku to name a couple)
Listen to this!....a Bandwagon Stater trying to convince fans of football tradition rich MU and others that MU Fan isn't sure they have a football team....BWA hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....that's almost as entertaining as listening to the Iraqi's claim they had the American forces well in check and that Baghdad was secure from any threat......ROFLMAO
KCPowercat
Ambassador

No birds in Kansas City?

Post by KCPowercat »

the next thread that is turned into this KU/MU/KSU b.s. by the way will be closed...this is getting crazy...EVERY topic takes this turn.

but since this one is already lost.....

Dan...call us Bandwagon St. or whatever you wish.....why would anybody bandwagon a school like KSU...if you listen to KU/MU fans we have nothing so what is there to jump on?

Fact is we've experienced success since the 90's that you can only dream of at MU. It's sad you have to resort to name calling instead of demanding that YOUR school get better.

I was born purple, my family made sure of that.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc