OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Power & Light District

Post by KCPowercat »

how about the steeple of light on the plaza as a "landmark" at night?
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

that might work but that's not artistic... but is probably the best that we have... damn I wish that the liberty memorial was like 100 feet taller
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

mister816 wrote: that might work but that's not artistic... but is probably the best that we have... damn I wish that the liberty memorial was like 100 feet taller
I think there are credible people who would disagree with you about the artistic merit of the Steeple of Light on the plaza.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

i don't see people taking a trip to kansas city to see the steeple.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

I think not having a distinctive landmark is the least of our citiy's problem right now. 
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

WoodDraw wrote: I think not having a distinctive landmark is the least of our citiy's problem right now. 
Probably. It's as though every midwest city complains about not having a distinctive landmark. Earlier today there was a Minneapolis thread on UrbanPlanet where they were droning and drawling precisely because of this.

If you build cohesive, consistent neighborhoods where many tasks and activities can be carried out on foot, along with decent architectural standards and a modicum of neo-traditionalist competency on part of the planners, then the city will serve as a veritable magnet to the masses, and then the ever-iconic pink elephant figurehead will no longer be required.

Besides, we already have the big dick in the sky across from Union Station.  :)

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
KCN
Penntower
Penntower

Post by KCN »

Liberty Memorial is extremely underrated as a landmark.  How is it any less significant than coit tower in San Francisco?
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

KCN wrote: Liberty Memorial is extremely underrated as a landmark.  How is it any less significant than coit tower in San Francisco?
Thomas Frank (of "What's the Matter with Kansas" fame) pulpiteered that it was a shoddily constructed, jury-rigged edifice sponsored by JC Nichols in a "style over substance" fiasco meant to catapult us further into the City Beautiful movement with little regard for durability or substantive value. But that was Thomas Frank, anyway...

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

I noticed today when referring a friend to the P&L condos that www.powerandlightliving.com now redirects to the main www.powerandlightdistrict.com website.  Did powerandlightliving.com have other content at one time or was it always a redirect. 

If it was once a unique site, why would they remove it?  Hopefully it is being redeveloped with more detail.  With virtually no information available, it is hard to imagine that they are supposedly taking reservations already.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

Tosspot wrote: Thomas Frank (of "What's the Matter with Kansas" fame) pulpiteered that it was a shoddily constructed, jury-rigged edifice sponsored by JC Nichols in a "style over substance" fiasco meant to catapult us further into the City Beautiful movement with little regard for durability or substantive value. But that was Thomas Frank, anyway...
www.thebaffler.com/frank1excerpt.html
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

staubio wrote: I noticed today when referring a friend to the P&L condos that www.powerandlightliving.com now redirects to the main www.powerandlightdistrict.com website.  Did powerandlightliving.com have other content at one time or was it always a redirect. 

If it was once a unique site, why would they remove it?  Hopefully it is being redeveloped with more detail.  With virtually no information available, it is hard to imagine that they are supposedly taking reservations already.
The information number is just to take your name for when the info is available.  Marketing materials are supposedly 30 days out.
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

Midtownkid wrote:The res tower will be a "point tower" with an incredibly fancy club house on the top with a bar.  The bar will be run by some company from NY?  Anyway he described the whole block as a "Chicago" development in downtown KC that will be very attractive.  Starchitects have been chosen to design the tower.  Hope this is a cool place, sounds like it.  (Better be better than the first rendering)
hey midtown, so are you saying multiple starchitects have been chose to design the tower, or the design firm has been chosen?  lol, i totally missed this ambiguity the first i read it so many weeks ago.  I took it to mean a starchitect would design it, but then rereading things i realized you definitely made it plural.......... so maybe it is the design firm that voltopt pointed out? 
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

anyone else see this? picked it up in today´s online edition of the kc star. it is from the article about the CID

--------
In a related matter, AMC Entertainment may become a player in the downtown entertainment district being developed in the South Loop by the Cordish Co. of Baltimore. Pam Blase, a spokeswoman for AMC, said her firm is interested in playing a role in the redevelopment plan.

The South Loop redevelopment plan includes two historic theaters, the Midland and the Empire. Cordish has indicated it wants to reuse the Empire Theater, and the Midland Theatre was added to the redevelopment plan last year, making it eligible for tax incentives should it be redeveloped.
----------
cityscape
New York Life
New York Life

Post by cityscape »

It would be nice if they could put an IMAX screen in the Midland!  Not too sure if it is possible though.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

from the biz journal it sounds like the Empire is much more likely for AMC.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

kcteen wrote: In a related matter, AMC Entertainment may become a player in the downtown entertainment district being developed in the South Loop by the Cordish Co. of Baltimore. Pam Blase, a spokeswoman for AMC, said her firm is interested in playing a role in the redevelopment plan.
So Durwood's plan comes full circle?
A fool and your money are soon united.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

cityscape wrote: It would be nice if they could put an IMAX screen in the Midland!  Not too sure if it is possible though.
Woah, woah, woah.  Lets not suburbanify downtown by replacing a performing arts venue with a fancy motion picture theater.  The Midland is an amazing theater that makes a great place for a concert, play or other live performance.  People aren't going to come downtown to see a movie, but they'll come for world class arts.  I'd prefer to have a "theater row" of several excellent facilities.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

woah, woah, woah, the Midland was built as the Loews Midland, a Motion Picture Palace.
mister816
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by mister816 »

People will come downtown to see a movie if the theater is done right.... I don't know how many people I know drove all the way to olathe from south kansas city just to see batman begins at the imax.... On the other hand... that would be stupid to convert the midland into a movie theater.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

If they are going to turn the Empire into a movie theater then it better be one hell of a movie theater.  It would be nice if AMC would make it a true flag ship, showoff theater for them instead of the same generic thing that is everywhere else. 

And does this mean that we probably won't be getting a HoB?  Wasn't that originally what was planned for the Empire?