Downtown Directory Suggestions

Announcements about the forum as well as comments, questions, ideas for the forum or the website in general.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

Again, excellent work with the directory. After browsing around for a little while I have a few comments/suggestions:

1. Not sure what your monitor resolution is, but at 1024 X 768, I notice a couple strange things. The logo in the top left corner is broken apart, with two white "voids" where the cell divisions are. I think this is caused by the text nav links in the yellow cell wrapping around and taking up two lines instead of one (the word FAQ wraps to the second line). This may be even worse at 800 X 600. Additionally, on a page like "Submit a Review", the entire page does not fit within the screen width. Just a tad bit gets cut off.

2. Any chance of further defining some of the larger categories, such as restaurants by type of cuisine?

3. Having the hover change the text to bold kind of freaks me out. It sometimes makes things jump around, or go from one line to two. Perhaps not an issue for others.

4. A question - what does a bold title mean under the "Browse by Category" on the left side? Does it mean there is a review or something?

I hope you don't mind me starting this topic for you :D .

Now, everyone else, lets start posting reviews and promoting the new site!
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

thanks a lot for the suggestions. This is exactly the kindof input we need. Some of yours we've already talked about...that's not to say we have an answer or not..but we have addressed them.
1. Not sure what your monitor resolution is, but at 1024 X 768, I notice a couple strange things. The logo in the top left corner is broken apart, with two white "voids" where the cell divisions are. I think this is caused by the text nav links in the yellow cell wrapping around and taking up two lines instead of one (the word FAQ wraps to the second line). This may be even worse at 800 X 600. Additionally, on a page like "Submit a Review", the entire page does not fit within the screen width. Just a tad bit gets cut off.
Weird. We have tested this website on at least 7 computers (mac and PC) at 1024 x XXX resolution and have not had a problem. But, i know exactly what you're talking about with the white lines appearing. What the problem probably is that your default font could be larger than what is "standard" Is that it? I know on my mother's computer a text zoom is turned on and that can screw up tables royally. We'll see if we ccan't fix it though.

The page was designed to accomodate 1024x768 the best. Our goal is to make it 'fit' eventually on 800 x 600 because about 40-30% use that resolution still. Its in the making. Also, I use a macintosh and there are some minor weird things on macs, like the left nav bar resizes but it shouldn't. These though happen on many web sites when you are browsing with macs and wont be addressed right now.
2. Any chance of further defining some of the larger categories, such as restaurants by type of cuisine?
Good idea and a definent possibility. Right now we were relying more on getting a good search engine up and putting really descriptive keywords in (we have put in the first phase but are still working through...very tedious).

3. Having the hover change the text to bold kind of freaks me out. It sometimes makes things jump around, or go from one line to two. Perhaps not an issue for others.
Thanks for the input. Perhaps we ccould change it to just have it turn colors?
4. A question - what does a bold title mean under the "Browse by Category" on the left side? Does it mean there is a review or something?
It just means that that category has more than the average number of listings. A sorta "attention" grabber...we were hoping to attract people to those categories. They are also (we think) the most complete right now.
KCLofts
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by KCLofts »

I just visited and I no longer get the white bars. It looks like that has been taken care of.
kcteen
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by kcteen »

We did shorten the text by taking the "us" out of "about us / FAQ". I'm glad it works fine now!