Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by trailerkid »

I recently took a drive through downtown Mission and I see a lot of potential. But I think the area needs to be brought into the present. I love the small business atmosphere and I think that's paramount to the future of the area.

One problem I noticed was that they need major updates to landscaping and sidewalks. The sidewalks should be larger and tree-shaded. Add some outdoor seating for restaurants and cafes. Also add some new apartment developments on side streets and above existing retail. Existing businesses also need to update their storefronts. Enhance the Main Street USA look that is already there.

Mission Center Mall needs to be raised and replaced with a new urban development that integrates mass transit (BRT?), housing, parks and rec., and retail (Borders, Old Navy). This new development would be very family and value oriented and would aim to be a counterpart, not compete, with the Plaza.

The basic idea would be to enhance downtown Mission as a strong suburban neighborhood.
Last edited by trailerkid on Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
phxcat
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Mission/ The Gateway

Post by phxcat »

I like your ideas, but the idea of razing the mall is not very likely- it is way too new. I was just in San Antonio, and they have a mall on the riverwalk that is integrated into the downtown- riverwalk thing. The mall is kind of a starting and stopping point for the riverwalk, and camplements the whole thing. If the Mission Center mall could be integrated into the concept, that might provide a strong anchor for the city.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote: Mission Center Mall needs to be raised and replaced with a new urban development that integrates mass transit (BRT?), housing, parks and rec., and retail (Borders, Old Navy).
Razing the mall is one of the options that the consultants presented to Mission a few months ago in their master plan for Johnson Drive, but I think that they proposed putting a hotel and office space there, with only a smattering of retail. The plan might be posted on the Mission city Web site, if somebody wants to hunt for the link.

I'd hate to see the mall go. I live within walking distance and shop there all the time. But I agree that Copaken, White & Blitt needs to do something to get more traffic inside. If this sluggish economy continues, sooner or later, Dillard's is going to look at closing more stores. I don't know how their Mission Center Mall store sales rank compared to the rest of their chain, but if it's near the bottom, I wouldn't be surprised if they closed it. That would be a major blow to the mall and probably hasten redevelopment.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Mission rocks. If I was to ever live in Kansas that would probably be the place to move. Sprucing up the streetscape would be nice, but the city already has most of the ingredients for a great little town. If it seems a little shabby that's just because it is well used.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

What are the "boundaries" (roughly) of the Mission area?

I know, in general, where it is, but want to find out what major roads are it's boundaries.
One State. One Spirit. One Mizzou. 05.22.2011  RIP Rusty, Harli and Hayze
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

dangerboy wrote:Mission rocks. If I was to ever live in Kansas that would probably be the place to move. Sprucing up the streetscape would be nice, but the city already has most of the ingredients for a great little town. If it seems a little shabby that's just because it is well used.
Amen! I live in Fairway but within walking distance of Mission. It's a great place, and I like the fact that the business district hasn't been made cookie-cutter -- yet. I assume that another benefit to living in Mission is that it has so much commercial and retail development driving the tax base.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

All you need to know about mission is 2 words: Don Chilitos....that place ROCKS.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

That place is still there? We used to call it Don "Chlly Toes". Brings back memories from the 80s.
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

Here's an aerial view of Mission Center. It should be turned into a new urban development.

StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

Does this photo include the SM Pkwy/69 Hwy interchange before or after the reconfiguration completed at the beginning of this summer?

It looks as though this is a post-construction photo...nice pic.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

trailerkid wrote:Here's an aerial view of Mission Center. It should be turned into a new urban development.
What do you want in the development? Mission already has many of the elements of New Urbanism - a mix of housing types within walking distance of a pedestrian friendly business district, as well as mass transit service. Mission Center is a modest, relatively healthy enclosed shopping mall in an inner surburb. What's wrong with it? It's presence makes Mission a more diverst destination with mall AND main street retail options.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

StL_Dan wrote:Does this photo include the SM Pkwy/69 Hwy interchange before or after the reconfiguration completed at the beginning of this summer?

Roe and Johnson will be a signalized intersection when the project is complete. The project opens up four coners to development on two major streets in a built out area. I can only imagine the developers drooling at getting a chance to build on this new land.
KCgridlock

Post by KCgridlock »

Maybe it's more like two corners :).
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

yeah my buddy just moved right by there...that project is nowhere close to being done.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
Brooksider
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Brooksider »

I lived in Mission for 4 years in the early 90's and can't believe all of the new growth there. They have updated the streetscape along Johnson Drive with brick sidewalks and crosswalks and trees, built Target, Hy-Vee, Hobby Lobby, many new restaurants, lot's of new office buildings N of Johnson Drive, a new community center, and annexed the city of Countryside. They have very low taxes. I think the community center and new pool were built without any new taxes. I see Mission as the retail hub of northern JoCo. I do miss the Fine Arts Theatre though. And Don Chilitos? Can you say all-meat Texas burrito with red sauce? Mmmmm!
Suburban Sprawl - Cut down all of the trees and name the streets after them.
StL_Dan
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by StL_Dan »

KC wrote:yeah my buddy just moved right by there...that project is nowhere close to being done.
Maybe a major phase has been completed then, cuz that intersection looks 100 times better than it did previous to the most recent changes.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

StL_Dan wrote:Does this photo include the SM Pkwy/69 Hwy interchange before or after the reconfiguration completed at the beginning of this summer?

This photo was taken from the Mission Center Mall Web site. At least that's where I first saw it about six months ago. At any rate, the photo is at least three years old because the Ruby Tuesday's isn't in the upper right corner of the mall parking lot.

I live in Fairway, a couple of blocks from the interchange. The grading for the road bed appears to be almost done, so I suspect that they'll be laying the rebar for the road over the next few weeks and then pouring the concrete. The entire project is supposed to be done by November, although I don't know much about road construction, so I can't tell whether they're on track or behind.
Cyburbia
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Cyburbia »

The big problem with downtown Mission, as see it, is that many of the businesses aren't condusive to creating street animation, to use planner's jargon. There are some neat stores there, but they aren't going to generate much pedestrian traffic for Johnson Drive, or make downtown in general a destination. What ... a store that sells parts scrapped from old 486-based computers? A gunsmith ... that is never open? A store selling water purifiers? There's one block that has nothing but gas stations and auto parts stores.

As for tearing down the mall to create a NU project ... it really isn't necessary. Johnson Drive has many of the elements in place for a NU-type downtown.
Cyburbia - The Urban Planning Portal
http://www.cyburbia.org
http://www.cyburbia.org/forums
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

The Mall is an eyesore...especially the parking deck that runs right off of Johnson Drive. Create a Zona Rosa-esque development in its place that ties into a redeveloped Johnson Drive.

The demos around this place are still pretty darn good. But they can't try to become Plaza II, they need to develop it to be a bit edgier, yet family friendly.
KC0KEK
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KC0KEK »

trailerkid wrote:The Mall is an eyesore...especially the parking deck that runs right off of Johnson Drive.
How is it an eyesore? The garage is surrounded by a decent amount of landscaping, which CWB does a great job of maintaining. Plus, it's handy when it's raining, snowing or 90+, and it puts plenty of spaces right next to several entrances. That's pretty family-friendly.