OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Come here for discussion about the new downtown entertainment district.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Re: OFFICIAL - Arena construction

Post by im2kull »

tat2kc wrote: it really doesn't matter how much profit AEG makes in other places, they need to make a profit here in Kansas City. The more profit they make, the more money the city will make. So yes, operating costs do figure into the design.  There is no "great uproar of applause". Some people like it, some don't, we are also talking about some of the design elements that have not been shown yet, such as the amount of glass, the use of other materials, etc.  As for the soft pillow shape, it is different from other arenas, which is a plus. We have not seen the final design, and we won't for another 60 days or so. What we are doing is discussing, the design, which is in process.   

I'm sorry bridge construction is so distressing to you. Perhaps you might want to consider the many other methods for getting south of the River besides the Paseo. I think there are at least 4 other river crossings. You might want to check into that.  I am not sure that many people, other than those with high school children, follow high school sports that much.  People south of the River have back yard Barbeque's also. (not sure if you are aware of that) . Zona Rosa is nice. So is Target.  Neither have anything unique to the metro area.  Yes the northland is an attractive place, and has some nice ammenities. Just not many that are a regional draw.  Perhaps you might want to venture out more.  If you can't figure out how to get across the river, just ask. 

I support downtown 110%, and I hate most suburbs.  The point I am trying to make is that We are paying taxes for a "landmark" arena, not conformity, and not a quick fix.  I think we all understood that we could get anything, and that the original drawings were exactly that...just conceptual drawings.  Although this "new" design is unique, I believe that most of the general public will agree that we need something that will draw people in, not push them.  There is room dictated in a buildings budget to go toward art and building asthetics. Buildings can still look good with a low cost, we just shouldn't settle for a stripped down "Twinkie" design.  

By the way, my problem with Paseo is that the bridge should have been repaired along time ago, before the floor plates shifted 6 inches in last years winter.  Right now ANY high school team could outplay the Royals, so there's not too much to follow south of the river...well unless you want to go alittle west and watch some northern league ball.  I wasn't aware that The View allowed barbeques on the 18th floor.  Sounds like an experience though.  Science City really isn't contributing much to the citys unique'ness, or regional draw.  The entertainment district isn't done being built yet, so tell me, what is it that you do after 7pm downtown, the last time I went there, It was a ghost town.  Maybe I'll just go and hop on the Light rail and head downtown again.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

By the way, my problem with Paseo is that the bridge should have been repaired along time ago, before the floor plates shifted 6 inches in last years winter.
Talk to the state of MO.
I wasn't aware that The View allowed barbeques on the 18th floor.  Sounds like an experience though.
Don't be stupid, BBQing that high would be hazardous ("oops the wind blew my grill over, sorry pedestrians, didn't mean to dump a couple pounds of flaming coals on your head!"). Pretty much all the loft / apartment developments downtown that I've toured contain some kind of club room area with recreation such as pool tables, foosball, air hockey, TV, indoor public kitchen, and outdoor patio with BBQ grills, etc, though.
The entertainment district isn't done being built yet, so tell me, what is it that you do after 7pm downtown, the last time I went there, It was a ghost town.  Maybe I'll just go and hop on the Light rail and head downtown again.
You obviously haven't been there in a while. The entertainment district isn't even necessary at this point, stuff is filling in nicely on its own, but it will be nice to have so much all at once all in one spot.
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
voltopt
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by voltopt »

tat2kc wrote: I'm sorry bridge construction is so distressing to you. Perhaps you might want to consider the many other methods for getting south of the River besides the Paseo. I think there are at least 4 other river crossings. You might want to check into that.  I am not sure that many people, other than those with high school children, follow high school sports that much.  People south of the River have back yard Barbeque's also. (not sure if you are aware of that) . Zona Rosa is nice. So is Target.  Neither have anything unique to the metro area.  Yes the northland is an attractive place, and has some nice ammenities. Just not many that are a regional draw.  Perhaps you might want to venture out more.  If you can't figure out how to get across the river, just ask. 
why up in arms about the northland?
every part of the metro plays a vital role in our community.
i believe every suburb has some sort of draw, whatever it may be, for the undiscerning person. 
if i remember, Worlds of Fun is in the northland.  And there is alot of regional shopping in Johnson County.  And some great fishing lakes around Lee's Summit.  And National (presidential) History in Independence.  And a Nascar track and amazing sprawling industrial areas and railyards in KCK.  Even Pool and Snooker in Raytown. 
I am no advocate of the suburbs, but come on.    there are reasons for people to be in these places, these places are now established, and while perception changes, that does not mean there will ever be a massive emmigration from them into the city center.  I believe the only stimuli that would ACTUALLY work would be the loss of the individual transport, i.e. the combustion engine driven car, which of course would not happen until we run out of Oil.  anyway, thoughts.
I rarely leave the center of this town, i work in the market and live in midtown, i ride the bus, shop, spend money in the center, and have lived in many different parts of town, like South Kansas City, the West Bottoms, south Plaza, west 39th, and 42nd and Charlotte.  i am constantly shocked at the loss of density and the waste of infrastructure on the East side, and even throughout the main street corridor.  I dislike the suburbs and couldn't picture myself in a house, but alot of people can, and do, have different priorities than me.  I'm just glad most people on this board share mine. 

unity, right?

and the arena design... i prefer it to the flying saucer. 
it responds rather well to the kc star printing press (if not a little too literally) and i believe a glass and panel system hung from the structural frame could be very simple and very well done, depending on the details. 
"I never quarrel, sir; but I do fight, sir; and when I fight, sir, a funeral follows, sir."   -senator thomas hart benton
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

mean wrote: Talk to the state of MO.
Thats what congressmen are for
mean wrote: You obviously haven't been there in a while. The entertainment district isn't even necessary at this point, stuff is filling in nicely on its own, but it will be nice to have so much all at once all in one spot.
I'm bad,
I must have forgotten about that new gym, and coffee house.
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
Marreekarr
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Marreekarr »

I still think it looks kind of space saucerish, but I'm happy.  The design looks unique to me and that what counts. 
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

im2kull wrote: I'm bad,
I must have forgotten about that new gym, and coffee house.

Huh.   I was out walking inside the loop at 11pm last night.   I passed other people out walking on every block.   John's Deck was packed and music filled the streets.   I heard music spilling out of several other bars   I passed.    Except for the surface lot void, there was activity on every block.

Sorry for contributing to the threadjack, I just can't stand ignorance and mythology spewed out as fact.
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Take it with a grain of salt.  He has about 10 posts, most of which are blind imflamation.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Barbecue grills are allowed on the balconys at the View, irregardless of what floor.
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

That just doesn't sound safe to me, but whatever works. :)
"It is not to my good friend's heresy that I impute his honesty. On the contrary, 'tis his honesty that has brought upon him the character of heretic." -- Ben Franklin
scooterj
Ambassador

Post by scooterj »

mean wrote: That just doesn't sound safe to me, but whatever works. :)
When was the last time you saw a BBQ grill catch conrete or glass on fire?

I'd be far more fearful of BBQ grills on the rickety rotten-wood patios of any suburban particle-board-constructed apartment complex.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I think I am in the wrong thread, I swear I opened the arena thread ;)
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I still think this arena will be awesome.  It looks pretty cool to me anyway.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

GRID wrote: I still think this arena will be awesome.  It looks pretty cool to me anyway.
I have a little secret to share. And that is, I think I like this cheapened, watered-down version better than previous renderings anyway.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Tosspot wrote: I have a little secret to share. And that is, I think I like this cheapened, watered-down version better than previous renderings anyway.
I seriously do, the "space ship bothered me and seemed isolated from the streets.  I think this will turn out ok.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

Remember that the saucer was never meant to be the actual design for this arena.  It was just an example of ideas that they were thinking about for arena.  The pillow design is the real first draft.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I think im2kull is a turning into a classic troll...let's hope not.

I like how the arena is progressing.....we're fitting it into the budget given and we're not sacrificing a unique looking structure....."landmark" is subjective to the person....I'll promise you no matter if the design was a 500' tall pencil with an arena on top, somebody would say it wasn't "landmark".  My thought is it doesn't look like every other arena out there....that's what I was hoping for on the outside.
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
mean
Administrator
Administrator

Post by mean »

scooterj wrote: When was the last time you saw a BBQ grill catch conrete or glass on fire?

I'd be far more fearful of BBQ grills on the rickety rotten-wood patios of any suburban particle-board-constructed apartment complex.
Not scary for the building, scary for pedestrians. If you're grilling 200 feet up in the air, a strong, conveniently-timed wind could carry flaming embers quite a distance before landing in someone's hair. Not that this is a major concern considering the distinct lack of pedestrian activity around The View, just saying. I will stick to grilling at ground level, myself.
KCPowercat wrote:My thought is it doesn't look like every other arena out there....that's what I was hoping for on the outside.
Yup yup. I mean, like I said, it's not really challenging...doesn't take much to wrap the mind around or anything like that. But it looks kinda neat and definitely pretty non-standard. So, good nuff. Let's git 'er done, etc.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

From a distance, this design doesn't do much for me, mainly that the swerve pulls your eye downward from left to right, which gives in a feeling of loss of energy. It would be better to have the swerve go up from left to right to give more of a lifting and energizing feeling. It's just matter of how we are trained to "read" from left to right. I guess from the inside you will get the rising feeling as the perspective will be reversed.

From a human perspective, one or two blocks away, this will be an impressive building. A great backdrop for the P and L.
Long
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Long »

shinatoo wrote: From a distance, this design doesn't do much for me, mainly that the swerve pulls your eye downward from left to right, which gives in a feeling of loss of energy. It would be better to have the swerve go up from left to right to give more of a lifting and energizing feeling. It's just matter of how we are trained to "read" from left to right. I guess from the inside you will get the rising feeling as the perspective will be reversed.

Your left or my left? 
ComandanteCero
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by ComandanteCero »

is the landscaping surrounding the building changed because of this?  Are they going to keep the water feature?
KC Region is all part of the same animal regardless of state and county lines.
Think on the Regional scale.