Changing the Triangle, means changing its name!

Transportation topics in KC

Change Triangle's Name?

Poll runs till Wed Mar 07, 2040 11:01 am

Keep Triangle name!
87%
Change it!
13%

Total votes: 23

KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

http://www.kctriangle.org/

Triangle Vanishing
Name Sought for New Interchange

LEE’S SUMMIT, Mo. – Much of the Triangle has gone away. As old bridges and crumbling pavement yield to the new alignment, the new interchange needs a new name.

Got ideas?

Members of the Hickman Mills community, whose residents live and work in the shadow of the project, invite the public to offer suggestions to name the interchange. This is not a contest, but a chance to guide the committee as it considers an appropriate name. They seek a
name reflecting a new image, but which also takes into consideration the rich transportation heritage of this historic crossroads of the Santa Fe, California and Oregon trails near Edwin Hickman’s mill. The committee wants all suggestions by June 1.

Send your suggestions to: Ideas, c/o MoDOT District 4, 600 NE Colbern Road, Lee’s Summit, MO 64086, or go to the Triangle Web site at kctriangle.org, click on Contact Us and email it. Suggestions must be in writing.

The committee, composed of Hickman Mills community members, will gather again this summer to winnow the list to a few names. A public meeting will be scheduled early this fall for comments. A decision will be made by year’s end.
Last edited by KansasCityCraka on Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

the Grandview clusterf*ck
http://downtownkcmo.blogspot.com

Tweeting live from Big 12 tournament @downtownkc
staubio
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by staubio »

Keep it. It is imfamous -- a community icon. We need more stuff that everyone can identify and rally around, even if it is bad interchanges.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

I would keep it, lol what would the out-of-towners think of us once they found out it wasn't a triangle??? lol :lol:
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

MoDOT already decreed that Grandview was to be dropped, making it just "The Triangle." Do they want to find a new name, or add a new adjective back to the begining of the phrase?
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

They want to change the entire name because it really isn't a triangular shape once all of the construction is complete.
dangerboy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by dangerboy »

It never was very triangular. I always the triangle name came more from the fact that it's the intersection of three highways.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

Fortunate was I that in my gad-abouts between KC and Warrensburg I was always headed in the opposite direction of rush hour traffic--seldom had problems.

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
DanCa
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by DanCa »

I'd keep it just out of tradition. They still call the I-70/I-25 interchange in Denver "The Mousetrap" even though it was re-done and really isn't so bad - or at leat not back when I lived there.

We have "The Orange Crush" near where I live here in OC. It truly lives up to its name as a nightmare to get through - the intersection of 3 freeways.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

I was always under the assumption that it was named the "Grandview Triangle" in the 70's when it opened because when you drove in you may never come out :shock: , just like the "Bermuda Triangle" that was so popular back then.
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Maybe, but doubtful. They said if they don't change the name that it will be called "The Triangle" and not the "Grandview Triangle"
kurtiebird
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by kurtiebird »

How can you change the nickname of something? I see no signs that say "Grandview Triangle", and I drive through there every day. Are they going to start putting up signs with the new name? Pass out fliers? Run TV ads? What a waste of time. They can officially decree all they want, but to me it'll always be known as the Grandview Triangle.
BBTSB
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

As a bias person living in Grandview...I say keep the name! Grandview doesn't have much (turst me). But, The GRANDVIEW Triangle at least gives us city-wide attention. Even it is a "bad intersection." - It's something!!!
KC is the way to be!
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

The Triangle needs a new moniker

Here's a sure sign of optimism that reconstruction of the Grandview Triangle will turn out well:

Opposing campaigns are fighting to get their preferred name attached to the infamous south Kansas City interchange.

Should the reincarnation, scheduled for completion in 2008, be called “Three Trails Crossingâ€
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Instead of 2 trails crossing why dont they just shorten it up and call it "The Crossing", that way people will stop calling it the triangle quicker..because it's shorter.
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Or Grandview Tango, or Hicks' Crossing, or JoCo-Lees Summit Axis, or 3 Trailers Crossing....
A fool and your money are soon united.
Tosspot
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by Tosspot »

How 'bout "The Vehicular Vortex of Doom?" We can abbreviate it to "VD." Then the suburbanite office workers can say "I've got to take VD."

photoblog. 

until further notice i will routinely point out spelling errors committed by any here whom i frequently do battle wit
Gladstoner
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Gladstoner »

Tosspot wrote:How 'bout "The Vehicular Vortex of Doom?" We can abbreviate it to "VD." Then the suburbanite office workers can say "I've got to take VD."
I like it. I wonder if they'd consider it? :)
A fool and your money are soon united.