Westport

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Re: Westport

Post by moderne »

The aerial photo of what was there prior to PVCC is shocking as is Summit before SW trafficway.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

moderne wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 11:31 am The aerial photo of what was there prior to PVCC is shocking as is Summit before SW trafficway.
Is that area pretty busy on weekend nights?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

The Old Westport wagon at SW Trafficway and Westport Road is being replaced with a replica since the old wagon has deteriorated so much.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10 ... 7623523375

https://fox4kc.com/video/westport-wagon ... y/9697531/
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

I honestly never knew that was an actual historic artifact. Hope they can keep the homeless out of the replica.
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

Terrible news about what happened this morning in Westport.

I was down there Friday had to do the little security screening thing. I noticed how there was no real security outside of the entrances. I think there just totally going to have to make it a 1:30 place
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Metro wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:03 am Terrible news about what happened this morning in Westport.

I was down there Friday had to do the little security screening thing. I noticed how there was no real security outside of the entrances. I think there just totally going to have to make it a 1:30 place
Aren't most of the issues just outside the district? Like people will just hang out by their cars and basically harass people and try to start stuff. It would almost be better if security just stayed on the premier. Once inside it's pretty chill
Metro
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Metro »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:53 pm
Metro wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 11:03 am Terrible news about what happened this morning in Westport.

Aren't most of the issues just outside the district? Like people will just hang out by their cars and basically harass people and try to start stuff. It would almost be better if security just stayed on the premier. Once inside it's pretty chill
I think the problem is the trouble could easily find itself closer to where even more people are. I just don't see how security can solve the issue.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Wasn't privatizing the streets fixing all this?
smh
Supporter

Post by smh »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:29 pm Wasn't privatizing the streets fixing all this?
Speaking of privatizing, a friend shared a pictures this weekend of the sidewalk outside Kelly's where the bar has installed a fence to make the sidewalk their private patio. Totally wild that this is allowed in the middle of what should be a very walkable neighborhood.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

Westport needs to go a bit more upscale. Nothing wrong with a few bar only spots but more dining and entertainment mixed in beyond the "rager" college bars & want to be night clubs/dance bars. I'm sure we can all pinpoint the few places down there that attract an element that perhaps is not just looking to have fun but to start trouble of some kind. Sad that such a fun place has been marred over the years with violence, random, but frequent enough to always give the area a bad reputation for safety. Hope with more residents in the area it becomes more of neighborhood and creates less opportunities for these things. Stronger neighborhood with some money in the game to help force change.
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 11:10 am Westport needs to go a bit more upscale. Nothing wrong with a few bar only spots but more dining and entertainment mixed in beyond the "rager" college bars & want to be night clubs/dance bars. I'm sure we can all pinpoint the few places down there that attract an element that perhaps is not just looking to have fun but to start trouble of some kind. Sad that such a fun place has been marred over the years with violence, random, but frequent enough to always give the area a bad reputation for safety. Hope with more residents in the area it becomes more of neighborhood and creates less opportunities for these things. Stronger neighborhood with some money in the game to help force change.
It can't hurt to go more upscale, but it hasn't helped the Plaza. I keep thinking once they get more residential maybe it'll help but that hasn't mattered much, either.
Sidenote: what happened to the apartments they were going to build over the parking garage/Char Bar? Dead?