Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by KC_Ari »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 pm
ericwyner wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:08 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 5:53 pm A new thought I've been having lately is how the Royals having a winning season could impact this. I don't think anyone anticipated that coming and suddenly it might be a factor now.
Chiefs didn't help
Let's be real though...that vote has basically nothing to do with the Chiefs
The Chiefs hurt it more than they helped. The optics were not good with their proposal. I also think it was time for the teams to divorce and go their own way anyhow, if they weren't going to be in the same complex it just didn't make sense to be on the same ballot question.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KC_Ari wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 12:28 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 9:32 pm
ericwyner wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:08 pm

Chiefs didn't help
Let's be real though...that vote has basically nothing to do with the Chiefs
The Chiefs hurt it more than they helped. The optics were not good with their proposal. I also think it was time for the teams to divorce and go their own way anyhow, if they weren't going to be in the same complex it just didn't make sense to be on the same ballot question.
They’ve not been happy in the marriage for a very long time.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

The least terrible thing would be putting the Royals in Downtown KCK. Downtown KC is where it needs to be though. The worst thing would be going to Legends or moving out altogether. I’m still confident they’ll work to get into Downtown. This season‘s performance will aid them in that regard.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A half baked plan would aid them more than anything.
bricknose
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bricknose »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 9:15 am The least terrible thing would be putting the Royals in Downtown KCK. Downtown KC is where it needs to be though. The worst thing would be going to Legends or moving out altogether. I’m still confident they’ll work to get into Downtown. This season‘s performance will aid them in that regard.
The problem is relying upon municipality or county dollars and thus being tied to voter whims. Whatever they do, it needs to be either fully privately funded or use tax incentives rather than direct tax dollars. I’ve spoken to dozens of random people both in and out of KC and the unanimous feeling is stadiums asking for money from taxpayers is BS. So since the current attitude is against that, the Royals need to find other funding or get loans.

Then, they can buy up the property they need, bulldoze it, and build in EC and those who were trying to protect the vibrant junkie parking lots can just do their virtue signaling and otherwise have no effect. Assuming KC Tenants doesn’t twist arms in the city council to veto the construction, but given the obvious support most had for the original stadium proposal, I hope the city council would resist.

But is there any reason to think that they will try again any time soon (within a year)? Or that it will still contain extras like the downtown loop cap extension?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

This needs to get done without a public vote. Platt already suggested this.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

https://fox4kc.com/news/kc-star-press-p ... a-stadium/

Tony Privitera says he should have a better idea in the next couple of weeks what the future holds for the Star building. Apparently he's in talks with Patmos(?) to put in a data center, but doesn't rule out other uses for the building or even tearing it down.

Says he has a fiduciary duty to the ownership group to do something, while reiterating he thought the EC site is/was the best site for a stadium.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 1:06 pm https://fox4kc.com/news/kc-star-press-p ... a-stadium/

Tony Privitera says he should have a better idea in the next couple of weeks what the future holds for the Star building. Apparently he's in talks with Patmos(?) to put in a data center, but doesn't rule out other uses for the building or even tearing it down.

Says he has a fiduciary duty to the ownership group to do something, while reiterating he thought the EC site is/was the best site for a stadium.
I hope this is just a pseudo pressure campaign to get the Royals to hurry the hell up
bricknose
Pad site
Pad site

Post by bricknose »

A data center downtown would be a massive misuse of valuable space. Data centers can go anywhere.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Well technically the fiber ring downtown makes a data center very valuable.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bricknose wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 12:15 am A data center downtown would be a massive misuse of valuable space. Data centers can go anywhere.
Data centers belong out in the middle of nothing close to power sources. I agree with you.
droopy
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by droopy »

A data center is maybe the most sad reuse of the star building imaginable.

Was there a graduation at T Mobile tonight? Grand was closed and Walnut was a parking lot. i stopped at Cosnetinos on the way home but had to do a U turn on Walnut and head up main instead (from the south). I saw some graduates but not sure if they came from TMobile or Municipal. Main was freely moving.
mgsports
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by mgsports »

Royals next to KC Current Stadium?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

droopy wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 6:57 pm A data center is maybe the most sad reuse of the star building imaginable.

Was there a graduation at T Mobile tonight? Grand was closed and Walnut was a parking lot. i stopped at Cosnetinos on the way home but had to do a U turn on Walnut and head up main instead (from the south). I saw some graduates but not sure if they came from TMobile or Municipal. Main was freely moving.
Yes, UMKC graduation at T-Mobile.
UMKCroo
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by UMKCroo »

mgsports wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 7:49 am Royals next to KC Current Stadium?
Not even sure if the footprint is there, but has this been discussed here? Port authority seems to have the willingness and expertise to get a deal done. Coupled with recently announced riverfront development, it certainly could be worse. I like it more than any of the non-KCMO options, but would definitely have a more suburban feel.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

UMKCroo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:19 pm
Not even sure if the footprint is there, but has this been discussed here? Port authority seems to have the willingness and expertise to get a deal done. Coupled with recently announced riverfront development, it certainly could be worse. I like it more than any of the non-KCMO options, but would definitely have a more suburban feel.
It was already discussed and passed in real life. It’s over
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

langosta wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 8:33 pm
Cordish would never allow that.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

taxi wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:43 am

Does Cordish really have a major say in where the stadium will go?
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am

Cordish and the city are a bit codependent so it works best for both to have developments that complement.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 10:50 am

When it comes to East Village vs East Crossroads, they have some influence. Outside of those two locations, they don't have a major say.