Misc Crossroads News

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Re: Misc Crossroads News

Post by DaveKCMO »

This low-amenity setup -- which has attracted lots of fee-paying trucks and sponsorships -- allows us to do other things more reliably, like security and trash pickup the next day. KC generates a lot of trash every FF, and security hasn't gotten any easier or cheaper.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 9:24 pm Good, and very diverse, crowd tonight at First Fridays. Lots of young families out early, which was nice to see.

the food truck plaza in the giant parking lot is hilarious to me. People eating on the parking lot surface or the concrete parking barriers. Very Kansas City.
San Francisco is launching a Thursday nights downtown street party to get people back into the area. Reminds me of pre-2019 first Fridays. I can’t help but imagine how big FF and KC scene would be if allowed to scale for 5 additional years. Loved Loved Loved the plethora of performing and culinary arts once on display.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Someone needs to reach out to MeowWolf! about the Star Printing Press.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

I wouldn't be surprised if that would end up in the printing press building.

https://meowwolf.com/
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Mon May 13, 2024 4:22 pm Someone needs to reach out to MeowWolf! about the Star Printing Press.
neat idea. That would fit perfectly with the building and the crossroads.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

It would fit in well in a city that essentially invented the professional haunted house industry which is a different kind of immersive experience.

It's also an adult version of that immersive children's literature museum, The Rabbit Hole, in North Kansas City.

https://www.rabbitholekc.org/
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The star building isn't a good fit for a MeowWolf. They don't want any exterior light and tend to go into black boxes. Not to mention the price is about 10 times too high for it to make financial sense.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Operators would probably build enclosed spaces anyway. The entry/exit corridors would surround these enclosed spaces and be in the spaces where sunlight comes in through the glass.

https://prairiesurf.com/stage/stage-04/

Large sections behind the glass are also blocked out.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0946203 ... entry=ttu
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I know it’s out at the legends but won’t the atlas 9 concept basically be meowwolf in Kc?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:34 pm Operators would probably build enclosed spaces anyway. The entry/exit corridors would surround these enclosed spaces and be in the spaces where sunlight comes in through the glass.

They'd make more money and be better off going into an empty k-mart building. It's not a bad idea, it's not going to happen or even slightly realistic.

I still think it's coming down at some point, but if they did find a use for it as is, it would need to something to take advantage of the large open space which only makes sense for a very few types of uses.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

An empty K-Mart building would not be sitting in an established arts district with First Friday events that bring 1000s into the neighborhood--a customer base that would certainly frequent the venue; would not sit next to a streetcar corridor, near multiple bus lines, or a major interstate; would not sit near the convention center, downtown hotels, an arena, and an entertainment district. Placing it in that location takes advantage of people who come into town for a concert or convention center event (car, boat, garden shows; MECUM auctions) and look for another thing to do while here.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

DColeKC wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 5:09 pm
FangKC wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 3:34 pm Operators would probably build enclosed spaces anyway. The entry/exit corridors would surround these enclosed spaces and be in the spaces where sunlight comes in through the glass.

They'd make more money and be better off going into an empty k-mart building. It's not a bad idea, it's not going to happen or even slightly realistic.

I still think it's coming down at some point, but if they did find a use for it as is, it would need to something to take advantage of the large open space which only makes sense for a very few types of uses.
I realize it's not a feasible option. There is no way there would be enough ROI to repurpose that Star press building for such a use. It's a neat idea though. A data center there would be a terrible use, but that's the risk people took when they sold everybody on the BS idea that a stadium there would "destroy the crossroads". I don't think a stadium vote would pass a popular vote there now even if the crossroads people changed there mind and the loudest ones probably won't.
Last edited by GRID on Tue May 14, 2024 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

Does anyone know what Extra Virgin grab and go is going to sell?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

GRID wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:31 pm

... I don't think a stadium vote would pass a popular vote there now even if the crossroads people changed there mind and the loudest ones probably won't.
A second stadium vote might pass if the Royals build in the East Village. I don't think many on this forum understand how unpopular the East Crossroads site was among the voting public, and how it completely changed the dynamic and outcome.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:48 pm Does anyone know what Extra Virgin grab and go is going to sell?
A star story said actual EV stuff like their salads. Also I think it said frozen stuff and herbs.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 8:48 pm Does anyone know what Extra Virgin grab and go is going to sell?
I am expecting like salads, kebab, and shawarma? Maybe like meatballs and skewers? Just based off of what’s popular at extra virgin and works for carry out.

I’m interested to see how they do it and what’s frozen. I can’t picture it in my head yet.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

FangKC wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 9:48 pm
GRID wrote: Tue May 14, 2024 6:31 pm

... I don't think a stadium vote would pass a popular vote there now even if the crossroads people changed there mind and the loudest ones probably won't.
A second stadium vote might pass if the Royals build in the East Village. I don't think many on this forum understand how unpopular the East Crossroads site was among the voting public, and how it completely changed the dynamic and outcome.
The Royals are convinced via the data they have that the location wasn't in the top 3 reasons the vote failed. The location wasn't even the issue at all, the very loud noise about saving some small businesses had an impact that'd make the top 5 but the reasons this vote failed were.

1. Poor Communication/Lack of Planning
2. Anger from Jackson County property tax fiasco
3. Save the K, older demo who refuse accept change

Number 1 includes several things. The parking concerns, the threats to leave, traffic etc.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

That campaign was so poorly executed that I have zero faith in their ability to do a capable review of why they think it failed.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

grovester wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:00 pm That campaign was so poorly executed that I have zero faith in their ability to do a capable review of why they think it failed.
This.
DColeKC wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 2:53 pm 2. Anger from Jackson County property tax fiasco
Also, I'm not seeing how this had any impact on the vote whatsoever. I didn't hear anyone talking about it and I don't really see the connection other than JaxCo being a part of both issues. Seems like something a consultant would throw in there to make it seem like it wasn't all the Royals fault.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I could see number 2 coming into play given Frank white kept his name in the conversation (even though he was against it) to tie together the vote and the tax fallout.

Downtown was one of the biggest no votes by percent by tract so the location definitely came into play for those voters.