New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KC_JAYHAWK
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by KC_JAYHAWK »

Aren't the Royals working directly with KCMO and NOT Jaco? Can the Port Authority issue bonds w/o a vote, I'm guessing yes. I still think the Royals end up downtown (they're not going to KS). And where is Cordish in all this? They have a vested interest in the Royals being downtown in the EC, seems like they have the pockets, along with Sherman and the Port Authority to just get this done and avoid another vote. Yes, the Chiefs will go to Jaco voters, but it will pass easily. Nobody on the MO side wants to see them in Wyandotte.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

If Manny Abarca is leading this for Jackson Co you can be assured they are leaving for Kansas
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:21 pm
langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 pm

My concern here is that Missouri will go all out to keep the Chiefs as it is the only professional football team in Missouri to the point that there effort to help the Royals situation will be watered down. I would actually rather see the state of Missouri make a greater effort for the Royals for a couple of reasons; First, they are the team more likely to leave the metro without public assistance and, second, because their needs are more specific than the Chiefs (an urban location in KCMO with potentially minimal local funds being made available).

As far as the metro is concerned, the Chiefs can simply hop across the state line to Kansas, they are going to stay suburban regardless of the state or municipality they play in. It will have little impact on the metro as a whole although it would shift the focus of where money is spent by out of towners strongly towards Johnson County rather than downtown or eastern KC. The Royals, however, have stipulated some specific conditions that cannot be met anywhere on the Kansas side of the metro. They are basically throwing everything into the downtown basket and are far more likely to leave if that does not become a reality.

I can see why Missouri would want to keep both but they will likely spend more effort on what they consider the bigger prize (the Chiefs) while the Royals, who needs Missouri more than the Chiefs, could end up getting something that is untenable over the long term for them.
Sounds like Missouri will offer a STAR esque package
How would Missouri do a STAR bond? Kansas is able to capture all the taxes generated from all that crap out there at the Legends plus whatever future development comes with a stadium. MO does not have such an area. The state would basically have to directly fund a stadium vs what is essentially a megasuperTIF which is what STAR bonds are. It would be amazing, but I don't see a new NFL stadium in MO surrounded by enough peripheral development to create that kind of cash. Not to mention such a development would cannibalize existing development that it would compete with in eastern Jackson county as WyCo is (was) a retail desert.

I think if the state is going to compete, it will take basically a multibillion dollar state handout from the state's general fund along with help from KCMO and Jackson County.

How in the world is MO going to do this for both the Chiefs and the Royals? Are they going to redirect all that money they put aside for the widening of I-70 across the state? Even that would not be enough. Is Jeff City going to even allow that much cash to flow to KC? I don't see outstate MO and St Louis politicians going along with that big of a handout especially to KC which has gotten the short end of the Jeff City stick since the start of time.

I think the Chiefs are gone. They are going to KS.

Then MO will do what it takes to keep the Royals. I hope.
I would put the probability of the Chiefs crossing the state line at 5% at this point. The state is going to do all they can to keep them in Missouri and the money required to upgrade Arrowhead is well under half the cost to build new.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Kansas Legislator adjourned 2023-24 session without taking up STAR Bonds for Chief and/or Royals. Measure is dead until 24-25 session.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... l?tbref=hp
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

shinatoo wrote: Thu May 02, 2024 8:23 am Kansas Legislator adjourned 2023-24 session without taking up STAR Bonds for Chief and/or Royals. Measure is dead until 24-25 session.

https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... l?tbref=hp
Could come up in the likely special session for the tax passage, but think they will have their hands full.