New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

I don't get why we can't just build this exact thing where Arrowhead is currently at. This isn't complicated but they're making it out to be.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A stadium like the Manica design would give the Hunts of Dallas status down there and equality with Jerry World. With the fixed roof, well the NFL owes the Hunt legacy a Superbowl. Will the state of Kansas stipulate a name change to the Kansas Chiefs or the Kansas City KS Chiefs? The Kansas Dome?
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

smh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:02 pm With Clark Hunt saying he talked to John Sherman and the two teams are going their separate ways on stadium efforts, and the fact Hunt said a new stadium (open air or domed) is being considered, it'll be interesting to see what happens. He remains open to Kansas as an option. Things are still early, but it's something to watch.
Simply a negotiating tactic. He can't say he only wants to stay at Arrowhead and won't consider other options, but he wants to stay at Arrowhead.

I'm not saying that he can't be swayed but it would take Jackson County and Missouri completely shitting the bed combined with Kansas offering to rename the state after his father for this to happen.
Feels like this STAR bond effort is roughly the equivalent of renaming the state Chiefsas, no?
STAR Bond effort failed to pass before legislature adjourned. Will likely be taken up again in January.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

moderne wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:26 pm A stadium like the Manica design would give the Hunts of Dallas status down there and equality with Jerry World. With the fixed roof, well the NFL owes the Hunt legacy a Superbowl. Will the state of Kansas stipulate a name change to the Kansas Chiefs or the Kansas City KS Chiefs? The Kansas Dome?
I just don’t get the obsession with hosting a Super Bowl one time. If a new stadium got us on the circuit and we could see one every 7-10 years I’d agree that going enclosed could be worth it. However, abandoning what we’ve known and established as Chiefs football: Cold, snow, rain and noise for a few mega sporting events a decade isn’t worth it.

Not to disagree that the arrowhead renovation needs rethinking.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

langosta wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 9:23 pm
AllThingsKC wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:55 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:48 pm Even if all this does is motivate Missouri to come up with something strong on their side after the bare bones Arrowhead renovation proposal then I'd say this is a good thing.
Missouri doesn't have a great record of fighting to keep NFL teams.
They did fight but lost the battle
Twice
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

DColeKC wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 7:52 am
moderne wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 11:26 pm A stadium like the Manica design would give the Hunts of Dallas status down there and equality with Jerry World. With the fixed roof, well the NFL owes the Hunt legacy a Superbowl. Will the state of Kansas stipulate a name change to the Kansas Chiefs or the Kansas City KS Chiefs? The Kansas Dome?
I just don’t get the obsession with hosting a Super Bowl one time. If a new stadium got us on the circuit and we could see one every 7-10 years I’d agree that going enclosed could be worth it. However, abandoning what we’ve known and established as Chiefs football: Cold, snow, rain and noise for a few mega sporting events a decade isn’t worth it.

Not to disagree that the arrowhead renovation needs rethinking.
It’s the 100-200 annual meetings, events and concerts that is attracting cities to build domed stadiums. Think of this as an addition to the convention center or a bigger ball room
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 6:55 am
smh wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 8:47 am
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:36 pm

Simply a negotiating tactic. He can't say he only wants to stay at Arrowhead and won't consider other options, but he wants to stay at Arrowhead.

I'm not saying that he can't be swayed but it would take Jackson County and Missouri completely shitting the bed combined with Kansas offering to rename the state after his father for this to happen.
Feels like this STAR bond effort is roughly the equivalent of renaming the state Chiefsas, no?
STAR Bond effort failed to pass before legislature adjourned. Will likely be taken up again in January.
Before that most likely as Kelly is indicating she is likely to veto the tax bill allowing the matter to be reconsidered.

I'm not that opposed to the Chiefs heading to Kansas. It splits the cost of building two new stadiums more equitably between the two largest counties in the metro and allows Kansas City, Jackson County and the state of Missouri to focus more on the Royals. Missouri's ego would be bruised by losing its only pro football team but that's rather silly as the team would still be the Kansas City Chiefs and it essentially has always belonged to the metro. Plus, plenty of teams play outside the city they are named for (are the Dallas Cowboys not the Dallas Cowboys because they play in Arlington?). While a little less central than TSC, nobody is not going to go to a game because they have to drive 20 more minutes and the Legends.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Nobody calls them the New Jersey Giants. (I do when I'm talking to my boss but not in a normal conversation).
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

I don't have a problem with the Chiefs on the KS side if KCMO and MO can't build a high quality project. But the Royals have to stay in KCMO or I will throw in the towel.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Parson at Canadian Pacific KC today saying Missouri will compete to keep both stadiums. Said they are big economic engines
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 pm Parson at Canadian Pacific KC today saying Missouri will compete to keep both stadiums. Said they are big economic engines
My concern here is that Missouri will go all out to keep the Chiefs as it is the only professional football team in Missouri to the point that there effort to help the Royals situation will be watered down. I would actually rather see the state of Missouri make a greater effort for the Royals for a couple of reasons; First, they are the team more likely to leave the metro without public assistance and, second, because their needs are more specific than the Chiefs (an urban location in KCMO with potentially minimal local funds being made available).

As far as the metro is concerned, the Chiefs can simply hop across the state line to Kansas, they are going to stay suburban regardless of the state or municipality they play in. It will have little impact on the metro as a whole although it would shift the focus of where money is spent by out of towners strongly towards Johnson County rather than downtown or eastern KC. The Royals, however, have stipulated some specific conditions that cannot be met anywhere on the Kansas side of the metro. They are basically throwing everything into the downtown basket and are far more likely to leave if that does not become a reality.

I can see why Missouri would want to keep both but they will likely spend more effort on what they consider the bigger prize (the Chiefs) while the Royals, who needs Missouri more than the Chiefs, could end up getting something that is untenable over the long term for them.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Highlander wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 pm
langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 1:46 pm Parson at Canadian Pacific KC today saying Missouri will compete to keep both stadiums. Said they are big economic engines
My concern here is that Missouri will go all out to keep the Chiefs as it is the only professional football team in Missouri to the point that there effort to help the Royals situation will be watered down. I would actually rather see the state of Missouri make a greater effort for the Royals for a couple of reasons; First, they are the team more likely to leave the metro without public assistance and, second, because their needs are more specific than the Chiefs (an urban location in KCMO with potentially minimal local funds being made available).

As far as the metro is concerned, the Chiefs can simply hop across the state line to Kansas, they are going to stay suburban regardless of the state or municipality they play in. It will have little impact on the metro as a whole although it would shift the focus of where money is spent by out of towners strongly towards Johnson County rather than downtown or eastern KC. The Royals, however, have stipulated some specific conditions that cannot be met anywhere on the Kansas side of the metro. They are basically throwing everything into the downtown basket and are far more likely to leave if that does not become a reality.

I can see why Missouri would want to keep both but they will likely spend more effort on what they consider the bigger prize (the Chiefs) while the Royals, who needs Missouri more than the Chiefs, could end up getting something that is untenable over the long term for them.
Sounds like Missouri will offer a STAR esque package
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:52 pm
Highlander wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:28 pm

Sounds like Missouri will offer a STAR esque package
How would Missouri do a STAR bond? Kansas is able to capture all the taxes generated from all that crap out there at the Legends plus whatever future development comes with a stadium. MO does not have such an area. The state would basically have to directly fund a stadium vs what is essentially a megasuperTIF which is what STAR bonds are. It would be amazing, but I don't see a new NFL stadium in MO surrounded by enough peripheral development to create that kind of cash. Not to mention such a development would cannibalize existing development that it would compete with in eastern Jackson county as WyCo is (was) a retail desert.

I think if the state is going to compete, it will take basically a multibillion dollar state handout from the state's general fund along with help from KCMO and Jackson County.

How in the world is MO going to do this for both the Chiefs and the Royals? Are they going to redirect all that money they put aside for the widening of I-70 across the state? Even that would not be enough. Is Jeff City going to even allow that much cash to flow to KC? I don't see outstate MO and St Louis politicians going along with that big of a handout especially to KC which has gotten the short end of the Jeff City stick since the start of time.

I think the Chiefs are gone. They are going to KS.

Then MO will do what it takes to keep the Royals. I hope.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

The KS proposal is for a STAR that covers the stadiums and nothing else. At least that’s my take having watched the discussions live.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:44 pm The KS proposal is for a STAR that covers the stadiums and nothing else. At least that’s my take having watched the discussions live.
Not sure how the development alone would generate enough to pay for itself.

If so maybe it's a possibility? Wish they would do the development at the sports complex.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

GRID wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:59 pm
langosta wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 3:44 pm The KS proposal is for a STAR that covers the stadiums and nothing else. At least that’s my take having watched the discussions live.
Not sure how the development alone would generate enough to pay for itself.

If so maybe it's a possibility? Wish they would do the development at the sports complex.
This is about the taxes a stadium pay. Up to 100% of the taxes generated unlike typical STAR which is 50%
brooksidebadgers
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brooksidebadgers »

Hearing Chiefs won't build a new stadium without a roof. Royals aren't going anywhere
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Royals in DT KCK? Would be in a downtown(or the skeleton of a DT) and for once something in eastern KCK instead of everything out west.
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

The renderings shared by the Biz Journal were fun. Nothing crazy and the overall stadium design looked cool. Inside shots reminded me of the Vikings new place a little. I like all the glass for natural light. Would hope some sort of retractable roof is what they are planning to keep it open to the elements in all but the most extreme & dangerous cold weather and or super severe thunderstorms.

As for the overall complex design I'm not seeing anything there that they could not do at the TSC being the only resident. Plenty of room out there now, plus you could always build into the current grassy areas that are enclosed within the confines of the TSC boundary. You could grade those as needed to build on. Laos you could look to improve the traffic flow patterns etc. to help with game day crush. But overall those renderings could easily fit within the TSC if they wanted.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Bears announcement mentioned an opening roof is hundreds of millions more as the reason they won’t have one