World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Can't get enough of sports even on a development board? Get your fix here. Expect heavy moderation on smack talk.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Re: World Cup 2026 at Arrowhead?

Post by langosta »

dukuboy1 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2024 10:34 am why would KC drop out of 2031? We would regress as a host city for women's WC & women's soccer in general by 2031? Obviously some advantages for 2027 with men's WC having been hosted the year before. But I would think focusing on 2031 would allow the US to better prepare their bid.

Just curious your reasoning why KC would no longer be in the mix
‘27 bid defaulted to ‘26 hosts. ‘31 will be an open playing field for host city selection with multiple newer stadiums and renovations coming on line between now and then.

Timing of Arrowhead renovation or new build now overlaps with that event
dukuboy1
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by dukuboy1 »

understood, thanks.
Cratedigger
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Cratedigger »

6 games including a quarterfinals
Schedule shows five paths the US can take to reach the quarterfinals. Two bring them to Kansas City.

Win Group D = LA for quarterfinal
2nd in Group D = KC for quarterfinal
3rd in Group D = KC or Boston for quarterfinal
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

^ I thought the hosts are automatically in group A
Cratedigger
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Cratedigger »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:09 pm ^ I thought the hosts are automatically in group A
Guess they don’t want to put all 3 hosts countries in group A
kcjak
Penntower
Penntower

Post by kcjak »

Seeing that chart with KC listed alongside those other cities really hits home what a win it is for KC to be hosting.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

Copa America tickets don't seem to be selling that well. Looks like there are still tons of tickets for the USA game at Arrowhead. I really wanted to go but not paying 100 bucks for a nosebleed seat. I can't imagine there is a ton of big crowds at the other games unless Messi is playing.

Why not drop the ticket prices for this?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

brewcrew1000 wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:08 pm Copa America tickets don't seem to be selling that well. Looks like there are still tons of tickets for the USA game at Arrowhead. I really wanted to go but not paying 100 bucks for a nosebleed seat. I can't imagine there is a ton of big crowds at the other games unless Messi is playing.

Why not drop the ticket prices for this?
$50-$200! for parking. Getting ridiculous.
brooksidebadgers
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by brooksidebadgers »

heard that a friend of mine that lives on Ward Parkway got offered $200,000 to leave his house for the month of the World Cup. Crazy and not sure if I believe it but his house is beautiful and huge. I'd be gonzo.
Cratedigger
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Cratedigger »

Executive director and many others in the KC WC2026 group have resigned. One side says they don't have the influence they were promised. The other side claiming we as a city are falling behind, citing the lack of a detailed transportation plan as an example

https://www.kansascity.com/sports/spt-c ... 44156.html
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

Read article and it was kinda click bait? Only a single other person resigned and it was Brian Platt?

Sounds like there is a lot to do, this person didn’t get the control they wanted in a sea of qualified people working on this, and quit.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Homeless advocates in KC getting nervous that homeless encampments will be cleared prior to World Cup when at same time due to WC all rentals will increase to astronomical rates.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

moderne wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:58 pm Homeless advocates in KC getting nervous that homeless encampments will be cleared prior to World Cup when at same time due to WC all rentals will increase to astronomical rates.
I don’t think this event is going to be as well attended as they those people think. It will be infinitely easier to just stay in St. Louis or one of many other cities
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:38 pm
moderne wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:58 pm Homeless advocates in KC getting nervous that homeless encampments will be cleared prior to World Cup when at same time due to WC all rentals will increase to astronomical rates.
I don’t think this event is going to be as well attended as they those people think. It will be infinitely easier to just stay in St. Louis or one of many other cities
I don’t follow any of the logic on this. Are you just saying that now because they didn’t have the stadium full for Copa?
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:28 am
langosta wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:38 pm
I don’t follow any of the logic on this. Are you just saying that now because they didn’t have the stadium full for Copa?
No the logic is that if you can afford to travel from here over seas, you will be staying at a nice hotel in St Louis or Chicago before you are renting a house in the east side
TheUrbanRoo
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

langosta wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:51 am No the logic is that if you can afford to travel from here over seas, you will be staying at a nice hotel in St Louis or Chicago before you are renting a house in the east side
Who’s talking about houses on the east side? There are hotels in KC, JoCo, and plenty of homes to rent too in JoCo surely for this. There are gonna be two countries basing out of KC as well, meaning that’s where the fan base will primarily stay.

When Uruguay was here the other day, there were *tons* of Uruguayans all over the Plaza the whole weekend. One of the most active times I’ve seen my street. I was told a bunch were downtown too. And that’s just for Copa— the World Cup will be way bigger than that.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Will they be keeping opposing fans on separate sides of the stadium for the World Cup? For Copa they were all together and there were some tense chants between fans in the same section, Uruguay to USA back and forth. In Europe, fans are separated due to fights breaking out.
langosta
Penntower
Penntower

Post by langosta »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 9:01 am
langosta wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 8:51 am No the logic is that if you can afford to travel from here over seas, you will be staying at a nice hotel in St Louis or Chicago before you are renting a house in the east side
Who’s talking about houses on the east side? There are hotels in KC, JoCo, and plenty of homes to rent too in JoCo surely for this. There are gonna be two countries basing out of KC as well, meaning that’s where the fan base will primarily stay.

When Uruguay was here the other day, there were *tons* of Uruguayans all over the Plaza the whole weekend. One of the most active times I’ve seen my street. I was told a bunch were downtown too. And that’s just for Copa— the World Cup will be way bigger than that.
This is in reference to the homeless advocates and what they have been posting.
Cratedigger
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Cratedigger »

beautyfromashes wrote: Thu Jul 04, 2024 10:22 am Will they be keeping opposing fans on separate sides of the stadium for the World Cup? For Copa they were all together and there were some tense chants between fans in the same section, Uruguay to USA back and forth. In Europe, fans are separated due to fights breaking out.
Security had to be called to the section next to me
Cratedigger
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Cratedigger »

During the Copa America final between Argentina and Colombia at Miami’s Hard Rock Stadium, thousands of ticketless fans attempted to enter the venue, with some scaling walls and even climbing through air vents to gain unauthorized access.

Clearly the expectation for fan behavior is different in the USA vs. other countries. I'm honestly surprised that the stadium security seemed unprepared for the situation. The United States, as a host nation for major sporting events like the upcoming World Cup, must learn from this experience if we want a smooth world cup