Bannister Mall/Cerner

Jackson/Cass Suburbs, including South KC
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Bannister Mall/Cerner

Post by GRID »

If KC builds out the riverfront, a royals move downtown and they build up the area around a stadium and housing really starts to take off along the streetcar route, I really think KC could finally have the urban core it needs to get it over the hump.
brewcrew1000
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by brewcrew1000 »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2024 12:45 pm Nashville is not going anywhere. That city is going to be twice the size of KC in 20-30 years. In just the 1990's, Nashville felt like a city half the city of KC. It's downtown is now already four times the size of KC's and it's not slowing down. It's not my type of city either, but it is what it is.
Nashville is growing yes but i don't think the urban core has really grown into this dense walkable area, Nashville is a pretty large city and the growth feels like its spreading outward more than inward expect a few places downtown.

This Oracle move is a nonstory from a KC point of view. Oracle had its HQ already in Austin, so this is more of a loss for Austin than it is KC. I also think Oracle is just using Nashville as a tax dodge, they will probably end up moving again
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Downtown Nashville is more urban, more built up and larger than downtown KC now and rapidly pulling away.

Not sure how you can deny that. It doesn't really have the warehouse districts that KC has, although they do have more actual neighborhoods that surround downtown. That city's downtown has built a shit ton in just the last ten years. They typically have at least 20-30 tower cranes up downtown and have had that now for 10-15 years. KC does not even remotely compare as far as urban development and Nashville has barely even gotten started IMO. They will have a urban district the size of downtown KC on the other side of the river within ten years around their new super stadium for the Titans and yes, a new MLB stadium will be in Nashville within ten years. Hopefully the Royals won't be the tenant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYVeTBugYH8

Now that does not mean I prefer Nashville over KC. There is something about KC I like about it over Nashville or any other city that has popped up overnight like that. But KC has got to grow a little faster and concentrate more of the growth it does get in the urban core or KC is going to struggle to remain a 2nd or 3rd tier city.

But Nashville is going to be a "major" city in the coming decades, think the size of Atlanta or something today, which is bizarre to me since I remember Nashville when it was more like Omaha. Same with Austin.

I do agree the Oracle story is a non story. They were never going to consider KC. But I can see them staying in Nashville. They are building an urban near downtown campus on the riverfront. Even if they don't stay in Nashville, the city will easily re-fill whatever Oracle builds since they are not building a 1980's office park in a run down suburban area off the interstate miles from anything.

Those SKC Cerner buildings look like they were built in the middle of a landfill and you can't even get close to them because the entire area is locked down.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Oracle Cerner down to #5 largest private employer in the city