Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:43 am
langosta wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 am If they had a 50-100% higher budget I’m certain they’d love to
The bottom one cost around $500m and that is for a bigger football stadium. Others are similar. It doesn’t cost that much more to make something visually appealing, it just takes some care to make something that will last instead of just focusing on the money.
$500m 15 years ago and it’s fairly bare bones on the interior compared to a MLB or NFL stadium.

I’d rather the Royals go more traditional and tie into the older brick and mortar feel than try and go artsy. The minority of this metro’s population would appreciate the artsy vibe while the majority would complain and disagree that it’s “art”.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

I think the design concept the Royals were riding with was meant to honor the brick buildings of the Crossroads while being more moderm, which makes sense. You don't, and shouldn't, want to build a faux-historic stadium. At the same time, you don't want to completely run the oppositie direction and go with something that resembles a European soccer stadium or modern American football stadiums. Baseball is special in the way where most stadiums follow a certain design language. LoanDepot Park, the proposed Tampa Bay Rays stadium, and the potential Chicago White Sox Stadium at the 78, all break the molds.

If I had to choose, I'd retain the Crossroads Stadium design as presented. We've only seen a few images of it, but I imagine it would become instantly iconic like the K, Busch, Wrigley, Fenwya, or Yankee Stadium. I get a feeling Crossroads neighbors would be more upset by something coming in and completely breaking with the design language of the neighborhood, especially over there, than trying to fit in a little bit more.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I generally take a hands off approach to any moderation as I feel people can be adults but I'm about to go HAM on the delete button on these posts. Just stop. Everybody. It's driving people away that contribute what this site is focused on.

Want to know if I'm talking about your posts? If you say "you" "personal" or anything remotely politically angled, it's that post. We have survived a long time on this site and it's mainly from being respectful and focusing on the topic, not the person or political leanings you might assume that person leans.

Stop. Please.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:22 am
langosta wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 am If they had a 50-100% higher budget I’m certain they’d love to
The bottom one cost around $500m and that is for a bigger football stadium. Others are similar. It doesn’t cost that much more to make something visually appealing, it just takes some care to make something that will last instead of just focusing on the money.
$500m 15 years ago and it’s fairly bare bones on the interior compared to a MLB or NFL stadium.

I’d rather the Royals go more traditional and tie into the older brick and mortar feel than try and go artsy. The minority of this metro’s population would appreciate the artsy vibe while the majority would complain and disagree that it’s “art”.
Tmo was kinda made fun of but people generally like it now design wise. Same with the PAC. I think they could go either way and it would be well received if done well (which I know can be subjective)
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Aviva broke ground in 2007. About $800 millions today in standard CPI inflation. Closer to $1 billion in construction inflation.All for a stadium that would fall well below MLB and NFL standards
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:22 am $500m 15 years ago and it’s fairly bare bones on the interior compared to a MLB or NFL stadium.
The Cathedral is less than the $1b the Royals have said they will spend on the Royals stadium and it's much, much larger, over twice the capacity. The current design (what little we've seen from it) just doesn't cut it for me. It's a follower design, not an innovator. That's how you end up with a Guaranteed Rate Field in the Crossroads.
https://populous.com/project/the-cathed ... for-milano
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:02 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:22 am $500m 15 years ago and it’s fairly bare bones on the interior compared to a MLB or NFL stadium.
The Cathedral is less than the $1b the Royals have said they will spend on the Royals stadium and it's much, much larger, over twice the capacity. The current design (what little we've seen from it) just doesn't cut it for me. It's a follower design, not an innovator. That's how you end up with a Guaranteed Rate Field in the Crossroads.
https://populous.com/project/the-cathed ... for-milano
i dont think you understand how much nicer new american stadiums are than their european cousins. its not just pretty the pretty glass but the size of concourses, types of seat offerings, technology, concessions on offer
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 12:29 pm i dont think you understand how much nicer new american stadiums are than their european cousins. its not just pretty the pretty glass but the size of concourses, types of seat offerings, technology, concessions on offer
I’ve been to a stadium in most every major city in Europe and at one time had been to every MLB stadium.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

There is nothing greater in the world of social media than rambling “I’m leaving” screeds
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Imarealperson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:35 pm There is nothing greater in the world of social media than rambling “I’m leaving” screeds
And nothing worse that people would just dismiss someone leaving a community because you can't actually see their face.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

neurosyphilis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 pm The Royals allowed a pro-life group who advocates and spreads info about birth centers.... How dare they make sure women who are pregnant have safe options to give birth!
Easily the stupidest thing I've seen posted here, bravo
I've also heard Vitale Foundation ads on the Mizzou radio network, but no ads at the games, maybe pro choice groups don't feel the need to market to sports fans which skew male
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Kansas City Week in Review interviewed Mayor Lucas on Friday: https://flatlandkc.org/news-issues/nick ... d-cicadas/

Snippets:
Walking back from statements by Brian Platt Mayor Lucas says focus moving forward isn't necessarily to avoid a vote, but supporting the teams without raising taxes in response to voter feedback. Says there are multiple KC projects that have been done with this model.

Acknowledges with such a blowout no vote there are many concerns that need to be addressed including location and financing. Says the Royals need to tell a story and explain the "why" behind whatever location they choose for a stadium.

Still likes the Crossroads site, but reiterates he doesn't believe there's a need to take over the businesses east of Oak. Says there's work to be done by the Royals including possibly identifying economic development that isn't necessarily block adjacent or that involves closing streets.

Believes it would be worthwhile to have a deal in place with the teams by the end of 2024 considering the uncertainty about state support with a new governor.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 2:58 pm
Imarealperson wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 1:35 pm There is nothing greater in the world of social media than rambling “I’m leaving” screeds
And nothing worse that people would just dismiss someone leaving a community because you can't actually see their face.
If you want to leave. Leave. You don’t have to do an 1,500 word “Look at me and please beg me to stay” plea.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

Interesting article from the Star:
https://local.newsbreak.com/jackson-cou ... b2_fromweb
"Emails obtained by the Star between the county and the team reveal what was said behind the scenes, and ultimately how the talks broke down.
Did Jackson County botch the deal? Whether Platt meant to imply that, his remarks re-enforced the narrative that Mayor Quinton Lucas and the teams had pushed since the fall: that White had bargained in bad faith and could have done more to secure public financing for a downtown baseball park and a renovated Arrowhead Stadium.
Some county legislators chastised the county’s top elected official and former Royals second baseman, coach and broadcaster for not being more accommodating to the teams. Eventually, they wrested the issue away from him and put what White considered unfinished business on the April ballot — only to see it fail miserably.
Is Frank White to blame for failed tax question?
In the final weeks leading up to the stadium sales tax vote, the teams cast White as a villain. They claimed he had slow-rolled the negotiations, setting them up for criticism for not having important agreements completed until well after advance voting had started.
“For two and a half years, the Kansas City Chiefs and the Kansas City Royals attempted to directly engage in constructive conversation with County Executive Frank White about the future of our teams in Jackson County, and for two and a half years, we have been met repeatedly with barriers to progress,” the post began.
“If there’s concern the proposed leases are ‘late,’ then the County Executive has only himself to blame.”
White says what the teams call barriers were his attempts to negotiate a better deal for the taxpayers than the Royals and Chiefs were seeking.
He and others say the teams have only themselves to blame for the ballot measure’s failure. The Royals didn’t announce their site for a new ballpark until after the election was set. Neither team identified how much they expected local and state taxpayers to spend on their projects."

Yes one side wants to blame Frank White and IMO he does have some fault in what one may say a fiasco but a large majority of the blame falls on the Royals. Blame for rushing the vote without a more detailed plan of what the voter would get with a downtown stadium. Blame for not realizing the resistance to moving the team from TSC and how to overcome that sentiment. Blame for announcing a Crossroads site at the very last minute in place of the EV site which created more opposition. And the list can go on.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Imarealperson wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:37 am If you want to leave. Leave. You don’t have to do an 1,500 word “Look at me and please beg me to stay” plea.
I didn’t take that as a beg me to stay post at all. It came off as a “this forum is getting way out of hand” with stupid statements and politics and multiple, multiple accounts to try and influence and set a certain narrative. It used to be you knew when you were having a discussion it was people with different points of view. It feels now that you might be having a group discussion with one person with many faces. I’ll likely limit future discussions and let the echo chamber echo. This, of course, is the nature of social media.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:30 am

Tmo was kinda made fun of but people generally like it now design wise. Same with the PAC. I think they could go either way and it would be well received if done well (which I know can be subjective)
I think if T-Mobile would have been built as originally designed, it would be almost comical today. Literally looked like a flying saucer.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:32 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:30 am

I think if T-Mobile would have been built as originally designed, it would be almost comical today. Literally looked like a flying saucer.
yeah. which is why I didn't get too hung up on Royals early renderings. They were bound to change.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 1:16 pm
Imarealperson wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 11:37 am If you want to leave. Leave. You don’t have to do an 1,500 word “Look at me and please beg me to stay” plea.
I didn’t take that as a beg me to stay post at all. It came off as a “this forum is getting way out of hand” with stupid statements and politics and multiple, multiple accounts to try and influence and set a certain narrative. It used to be you knew when you were having a discussion it was people with different points of view. It feels now that you might be having a group discussion with one person with many faces. I’ll likely limit future discussions and let the echo chamber echo. This, of course, is the nature of social media.
We are taking about an election and statements made by politicians. Of course it’s politics.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Already know more details about the Chicago Bears news stadium announced today and ever did about Royals plan, just for an idea of how proper new stadium plans get announced.

Also they are funding 70% of it themselves.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A very cold weather super bowl coming. Stadium designed in KC.