Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Belvidere »

Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I regret having to leave this forum. A few of the discussions have been educational and supportive; thank you to everyone with true expertise and facts, and your willingness to share. I could block some folks or ignore some discussions, or lurk, but, well, let's go out with a bang.

I am going to guess this group is dominated by straight white men. You need to hear some things (even though you won't and I know that). This post is for me.

You can stop reading now. I will never know.

Why do you hate Jill or care what she says?

You share opinions here every day. You get personal and call people out by name all the time. Occasionally, you feel free to post things that are inaccurate, vicious, racist, sexist: the whole casserole of entitlement. SHE should be silent about her views and create a safe space for you in her establishments and online, which means being free of political statements. She should be PUNISHED. Not only with the lack of your patronage, but by, hm, the weight of the federal government. Her business and investment should be wiped out to benefit a billionaire and she should pay for the privilege, as should everyone else, with public funds.

Honestly, it's hard to know where to begin.

Do you believe professional sports are free of politics? Do you need examples to make it clear? There are so many. Here's an easy one:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 102554972/

Did that cause you discomfort or did you feel it was apolitical because it aligned with your views? The funny thing is, when I was young, George Brett was notorious for being aggressive and even scary (back when sexual harassment was legal and part of the gauntlet of existence) and he bragged about the number of abortions he caused because it proved his virility, like notches on a bedpost. Look it up. Try Time magazine, maybe Newsweek.

Ever delve into the Hunt family? Their commitment to a Christian camp accused of sexual abuse? Well, we don't have to, we can start with the tomahawk chop. (Right. Nothing to see here.)

You know the NFL charges for military tributes, right? Our tax money funds their fake patriotism.

Ever look up how cheerleaders are paid and treated? At least one franchise had explicit instructions for the grooming of their pubic area. Yet, you don't see female fans losing their collective shit over it. We navigate such spaces because we don't have much choice. It's hard to avoid. FFS, there is an entire chain called Hooters without a companion chain called Peckers and I, for one, regret that, because the merchandise alone would be epic.

Gents, Jill is not catering to you, and that should not feel threatening; you shouldn't give it a second thought. The rest of society caters to you--that's why you think it's normal and so deeply enraging when you don't get what you want, paid for by everyone else.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:36 pm
grovester wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:10 pm You don't get it, she alienated half the population as soon as she opened.

She's had the no Trump-ware, no MAGA bullshit since day one and somehow has still thrived and expanded.

In a years time, she will still be around, but there still won't be a ballpark in the Crossroads.

Put the Royals back in the EV, sic Graves and Cleaver on the Feds and use some freaking imagination about how to connect the EV to P&L.

A significant chunk of the opposition will switch sides.
The property tax fiasco followed up by being asked to extend a tax had more to do with the no votes than the location. To be frank, the majority of the population could give two fucks about the businesses that would have needed to relocate. EV is done. It’s not the best site. It’s even more expensive and requires cooperation from state and federal agencies that don’t want to play or spend.

And if there is no public vote required, they’re not worried about what you think. All the imagination in the world doesn’t solve a distance problem. A significant chunk of the population will support it if they don’t have to pay for it.

Jill and her business has never “thrived”. Barely keeping the lights on and doors open isn’t thriving.
Hmmm...expanding, funding other James Beard nominees...barely surviving I guess.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

Belvidere wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 pm Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

I regret having to leave this forum. A few of the discussions have been educational and supportive; thank you to everyone with true expertise and facts, and your willingness to share. I could block some folks or ignore some discussions, or lurk, but, well, let's go out with a bang.

I am going to guess this group is dominated by straight white men. You need to hear some things (even though you won't and I know that). This post is for me.

You share opinions here every day. You get personal and call people out by name all the time. Occasionally, you feel free to post things that are inaccurate, vicious, racist, sexist: the whole casserole of entitlement. SHE should be silent about her views and create a safe space for you in her establishments and online, which means being free of political statements. She should be PUNISHED. Not only with the lack of your patronage, but by, hm, the weight of the federal government. Her business and investment should be wiped out to benefit a billionaire and she should pay for the privilege, as should everyone else, with public funds.

Do you believe professional sports are free of politics? Do you need examples to make it clear? There are so many. Here's an easy one:

Did that cause you discomfort or did you feel it was apolitical because it aligned with your views? The funny thing is, when I was young, George Brett was notorious for being aggressive and even scary (back when sexual harassment was legal and part of the gauntlet of existence) and he bragged about the number of abortions he caused because it proved his virility, like notches on a bedpost. Look it up. Try Time magazine, maybe Newsweek.

Ever delve into the Hunt family? Their commitment to a Christian camp accused of sexual abuse? Well, we don't have to, we can start with the tomahawk chop. (Right. Nothing to see here.)

You know the NFL charges for military tributes, right? Our tax money funds their fake patriotism.

Ever look up how cheerleaders are paid and treated? At least one franchise had explicit instructions for the grooming of their pubic area. Yet, you don't see female fans losing their collective shit over it. We navigate such spaces because we don't have much choice. It's hard to avoid. FFS, there is an entire chain called Hooters without a companion chain called Peckers and I, for one, regret that, because the merchandise alone would be epic.

Gents, Jill is not catering to you, and that should not feel threatening; you shouldn't give it a second thought. The rest of society caters to you--that's why you think it's normal and so deeply enraging when you don't get what you want, paid for by everyone else.
Great post! Don't leave.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Last edited by DColeKC on Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Can agree this discussion about Jill Cockson has gotten petty, cringe, and personal. Can there be a separate thread for discussions about citizen influencers of KC? I understand anytime there is a vote there will be so called winners and losers, but the stadium vote seems to have driven people to extreme positions and opinions.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm Can agree this discussion about Jill Cockson has gotten petty, cringe, and personal. Can there be a separate thread for discussions about citizen influencers of KC? I understand anytime there is a vote there will be so called winners and losers, but the stadium vote seems to have driven people to extreme positions and opinions.
I don't disagree with you. I'll stop bringing her up. We can get back to stadium talk.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm Can agree this discussion about Jill Cockson has gotten petty, cringe, and personal. Can there be a separate thread for discussions about citizen influencers of KC?
From people I know who voted no they had no idea who Jill is or her feelings on the topic. Their no vote was based on one major thing - the Royals need to stay at TSC. And I would imagine that feeling was the primary reason why many others voted no along with the tax. Maybe for those who have some sort of connection to downtown Jill might have influenced their vote one way or the other but most of the county likely couldn't care less about her and downtown.
The election has come and gone, time to move on. Let the teams decide what they do from this point on after this learning experience. For me the first thing the Royals need to do is make some sort of peace with the county, especially with Frank White. If they feel they need to leave TSC before the lease is up then first negotiate some sort of exit deal, something the team should have some before the announcement of leaving TSC.
missingkc
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by missingkc »

There are straight guys on here?
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Let's get this thing to the Crossroads and expand that cap
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

missingkc wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:21 pm There are straight guys on here?
Not that I know of.
Last edited by DColeKC on Sun Apr 21, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:26 pm
KCMOJoe89 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:59 pm Can agree this discussion about Jill Cockson has gotten petty, cringe, and personal. Can there be a separate thread for discussions about citizen influencers of KC?
From people I know who voted no they had no idea who Jill is or her feelings on the topic. Their no vote was based on one major thing - the Royals need to stay at TSC. And I would imagine that feeling was the primary reason why many others voted no along with the tax. Maybe for those who have some sort of connection to downtown Jill might have influenced their vote one way or the other but most of the county likely couldn't care less about her and downtown.
The election has come and gone, time to move on. Let the teams decide what they do from this point on after this learning experience. For me the first thing the Royals need to do is make some sort of peace with the county, especially with Frank White. If they feel they need to leave TSC before the lease is up then first negotiate some sort of exit deal, something the team should have some before the announcement of leaving TSC.
The Royals have more than enough legal reasons to get out of the lease anytime they want. They've kept track of all the documentation showing how Frank failed to communicate for two years or more. I'm confident their lawyers could get them out, plus when the Chiefs go at this alone on the county side, they'll want that land which will give more than one reason for the county to let the Royals out early.
neurosyphilis
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by neurosyphilis »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 pm The Royals allowed a pro-life group who advocates and spreads info about birth centers.... How dare they make sure women who are pregnant have safe options to give birth!
Easily the stupidest thing I've seen posted here, bravo
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

neurosyphilis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:00 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:50 pm The Royals allowed a pro-life group who advocates and spreads info about birth centers.... How dare they make sure women who are pregnant have safe options to give birth!
You should go through the dumpster thread sometime
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Anthony_Hugo98 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:02 pm You should go through the dumpster thread sometime
That dumpster is filling up faster these days.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

neurosyphilis wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:00 pm
It’s clear you haven’t been on here very long but if you think a group giving women safe places to give birth as a choice available to them is stupid, that’s cool.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

One thing that would help the Royals project in the Crossroads is actually showing a plan that is seen as a piece of art itself. If bowing to the beginnings of the Crossroads and taking a stance that they want to join with their own piece of art, I think they would get a much better response. Here are some European football stadiums that could be seen as reflecting an artistic eye. Some were even designed by local firms here in Kansas City. Take the time and come up with a good design that captures the cities dreams. I'm sure others on here could add their own favorite stadiums with a similar view.

New Venezia FC stadium and arena design

'The Cathedral design (Populous) in Milan

New Aviva Stadium in Ireland

Competition for Milan stadium. The Cathedral chosen.
https://www.designboom.com/architecture ... 9-26-2019/
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

If they had a 50-100% higher budget I’m certain they’d love to
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

langosta wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:30 am If they had a 50-100% higher budget I’m certain they’d love to
The bottom one cost around $500m and that is for a bigger football stadium. Others are similar. It doesn’t cost that much more to make something visually appealing, it just takes some care to make something that will last instead of just focusing on the money.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

Belvidere wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2024 3:57 pm Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Please stay, your contributions are appreciated by most of us. 90% of the bad posts are easily attributed to just a couple of fools.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Yeah we need different opinions and viewpoints, not let the one viewpoint dominate. I suggest mute.