Downtown KCK

Find out what's going on in the Sunflower State's portions of the Metro here.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Re: Downtown KCK

Post by FangKC »

langosta wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:08 pm
FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 am I wish the former YMCA in downtown Kansas City at 10th and Oak had been converted to lofts and not demolished.

https://kchistory.org/image/ymca-buildi ... fset%5D=15
Single room occupancy and dormitory housing likely has a place in the affordable discussion. Legalize it!
I wonder how many empty spaces exist upstairs in old 2-story commercial buildings around the Metro that could have apartments? Many of them probably were housing at one time.
Eon Blue
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by Eon Blue »

FangKC wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 5:20 am I wish the former YMCA in downtown Kansas City at 10th and Oak had been converted to lofts and not demolished.

https://kchistory.org/image/ymca-buildi ... fset%5D=15
It survived until at least 1999. Razed for Davis Park, I guess. Wild. Sad.
https://kchistory.org/image/ymca-buildi ... ffset%5D=9
https://kchistory.org/image/ymca-buildi ... ffset%5D=3
https://kchistory.org/image/ymca-0?solr ... ffset%5D=7
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Proposed 12-story tower + low-rise building by F&C at 4th & Minnesota.
Flaherty & Collins, based in Indianapolis, is proposing a two-phase project that would include 472 apartments, ranging from studios to three-bedrooms. Also envisioned is a concealed parking garage, 26,650 square feet of commercial space and expanded parks to connect with the riverfront.
https://www.kansascity.com/news/politic ... 90225.html

Full RFP response: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YP6Jbo ... sp=sharing
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Wow - that would be huge for downtown KCK

Hopefully they can get out of their own way to make this happen. Expected completion date in 2027
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Solid. If you can get this, the Reardon Center redevelopnent rolling, the KCKCC going, and the renovation of that building at 6th and Minnesota underway, Downtown KCK will actually start to get better.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Solid plan and a nice surprise. Really hope this gets done. Will be one of the most prominent buildings on the KCK skyline and looks like it creates some cool tiered greenspace that nicely ties into the Riverfront Heritage Trail as it enters Strawberry Hill.

And it replaces a giant parking lot! Clean modern design by KEM studio a bonus.
rxlexi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by rxlexi »

Side note - thoughts on why Strawberry Hill hasn't really taken off yet? It's close to DTKC, has a nice collection of restaurants and bars (albeit not high-end), interesting views and history.

Housing stock just too old/small? KCK decay/reputation gets in the way? Is crime an issue? Often had these thoughts when relaxing on the patio at Mockingbird Lounge (RIP).

Went to church on Russian Hill as a child and back in the 90s it was still pretty Eastern European. Seems like most of the old families have since moved on and I can't really get a feel for the new vibe as I don't spend a ton of time over there, but each time I do I'm impressed with the potential village feel and proximity to good stuff.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

rxlexi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:46 am Side note - thoughts on why Strawberry Hill hasn't really taken off yet? It's close to DTKC, has a nice collection of restaurants and bars (albeit not high-end), interesting views and history.

Housing stock just too old/small? KCK decay/reputation gets in the way? Is crime an issue? Often had these thoughts when relaxing on the patio at Mockingbird Lounge (RIP).

Went to church on Russian Hill as a child and back in the 90s it was still pretty Eastern European. Seems like most of the old families have since moved on and I can't really get a feel for the new vibe as I don't spend a ton of time over there, but each time I do I'm impressed with the potential village feel and proximity to good stuff.
I think NIMBYism plays a role. They strongly opposed the now fully approved 505 Central project, opposed a project in Rosedale (Woodside Village Phase 2) and opposed a project at 6th and Ann. Strawberry Hill could very well support a few new projects, but the opposition from those folks who are reluctant to see change is incredibly strong and is a turn off for most developers.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

Most of the housing stock on Strawberry Hill is very small and does not have off street parking. There are some larger houses between 6th and 7th which is now considered part of SH but was formerly Splitlog Hill. The large homes were built by Wyandotte indians who became prosperous from sale of lands.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 am
rxlexi wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:46 am Side note - thoughts on why Strawberry Hill hasn't really taken off yet? It's close to DTKC, has a nice collection of restaurants and bars (albeit not high-end), interesting views and history.

I think NIMBYism plays a role. They strongly opposed the now fully approved 505 Central project, opposed a project in Rosedale (Woodside Village Phase 2) and opposed a project at 6th and Ann. Strawberry Hill could very well support a few new projects, but the opposition from those folks who are reluctant to see change is incredibly strong and is a turn off for most developers.
Rosedale isn’t anywhere near SH.

“Taken off” is relative. Small houses hurt a lot, but it’s become pretty popular among younger residents. I would bet that housing prices have increased in SH at a greater rate than most of the metro in the last few years.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

It is quaint in places and has a couple of decent blocks but the proximity to I70 and it's confusing and ungainly on/off ramps do not help. Get down to the bottom of 5th street and you are essentially on an I-70 ramp immediately peripheral to the neighborhoods commercial area. The interaction with I-70 needs to be redesigned and the need for the existence of that northern swing of I-70 through KC and KCK needs to be re-examined.
https://www.google.com/maps/@39.110082, ... ?entry=ttu
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:05 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:57 am

Rosedale isn’t anywhere near SH.
Exactly. Why in the world they felt the need to organize opposition to the project makes even less sense when you address that, but alas.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Who is “they”?
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Imarealperson wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:00 am Who is “they”?
Strawberry Hill NIMBYs. They got organized to help organize opposition to the Woodside Village Rosedale project. A bit backwards considering they live miles away.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:53 am
Imarealperson wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 9:00 am Who is “they”?
Strawberry Hill NIMBYs. They got organized to help organize opposition to the Woodside Village Rosedale project. A bit backwards considering they live miles away.
I don’t recall this. SH nimbys couldn’t organize a one man parade.