Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by WoodDraw »

The chiefs have been the heart of kc for decades and now Kansas wants to spend their gambling revenue to take away another team from Missouri.

Do you want to see Kansas take away our team or keep them here with no additional tax?

These people are fucking idiots. You have to make enemies.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

Maybe people here are too young but the Sprint center passed by saying fuck STL.

I don't know why they ran an incompetent campaign, but it's not my fault.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

iamrealz wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:37 pm Since most of us will be waiting for a while for some actual news, I'm going to throw out a wild stadium site.

I think you could squeeze a stadium in north of 43rd and Broadway Blvd. Westport would be the entertainment district. It's a couple blocks to the streetcar. Far enough from Plaza NIMBYs (yeah right). Not downtown.

There's no interstate access, but build an E-W streetcar on 43rd, fix the Westport Rd. and SW TFKWY 'intersection', and throw up some parking garages. Baby you got a stew going!

Any other fun fantasy locations?
Someone called out a fantasy location at the site of the Home Depot/Costco in midtown. I thought that would of been a great location and catalyst.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 pm You know I love you grid, but I think you don't understand how horrific this vote was locally.

They didn't reach out to anyone good at this.

I'm confident we could pass a tax if the right people are involved. They just sucked.
I get that. But I also think a lot of damage was done building up a no vote for multiple reasons that may be very difficult to undo. I also do not think a downtown royals stadium will pass any sort of vote on its own (not tied to the Chiefs). I hope they find a way.

They should do the stadium tax in conjunction with a tax in Jackson County that that includes money for a LRT system. A starter line from downtown to the Arrowhead. But that's so far over the head of Jackson County leadership it's not even funny.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KC_Ari wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:07 pm
iamrealz wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:37 pm Since most of us will be waiting for a while for some actual news, I'm going to throw out a wild stadium site.

I think you could squeeze a stadium in north of 43rd and Broadway Blvd. Westport would be the entertainment district. It's a couple blocks to the streetcar. Far enough from Plaza NIMBYs (yeah right). Not downtown.

There's no interstate access, but build an E-W streetcar on 43rd, fix the Westport Rd. and SW TFKWY 'intersection', and throw up some parking garages. Baby you got a stew going!

Someone called out a fantasy location at the site of the Home Depot/Costco in midtown. I thought that would of been a great location and catalyst.
That's been my fantasy site for at least a decade.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Fantasy locations you say?

West of Liberty Memorial, either where the ballfields are or get the IRS to consolidate somewhere else and put it there.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

shinatoo wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:12 pm Fantasy locations you say?

West of Liberty Memorial, either where the ballfields are or get the IRS to consolidate somewhere else and put it there.
IRS has always been my fantasy. That is after they built the PAC. The best location is was where the PAC is now.

I wonder if Washington Sq Park will make a comeback. I mean they were getting pretty small with the footprint if they kept Oak open, so why not WSP especially now that Blue Cross is leaving.
Last edited by GRID on Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

dnweava wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:12 pm

You want to destroy all of Midtown and displace China Feast? Despicable.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

What about the Buick/USPS site to the NW? As bad as the design is for Midtown Marketplace, I'd think the neighborhood would throw a fit over losing Costco. This is all fantasy though.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:09 pm
WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:32 pm You know I love you grid, but I think you don't understand how horrific this vote was locally.

I'm confident we could pass a tax if the right people are involved. They just sucked.
I get that. But I also think a lot of damage was done building up a no vote for multiple reasons that may be very difficult to undo. I also do not think a downtown royals stadium will pass any sort of vote on its own (not tied to the Chiefs). I hope they find a way.

They should do the stadium tax in conjunction with a tax in Jackson County that that includes money for a LRT system. A starter line from downtown to the Arrowhead. But that's so far over the head of Jackson County leadership it's not even funny.
The chiefs don't want that. Their proposal was more parking. People have had these conversations with them. Maybe not lrt, but transit. It's a no. They wink, but it's not something they care about. Their concession was Uber drop offs. They want the parking revenue.
iamrealz
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by iamrealz »

KCMOJoe89 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:20 pm

What about the Buick/USPS site to the NW? As bad as the design is for Midtown Marketplace, I'd think the neighborhood would throw a fit over losing Costco. This is all fantasy though.
Yeah, not gonna lie, I'd miss that Costco. Though I know that whole development should have no place in midtown. Buick site would be great!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:28 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:09 pm

The chiefs don't want that. Their proposal was more parking. People have had these conversations with them. Maybe not lrt, but transit. It's a no. They wink, but it's not something they care about. Their concession was Uber drop offs. They want the parking revenue.
I know the Chiefs don't care about transit. I'm saying the county could do a transit project vote at the same time.

That would give people a place to park for Royals games.

That would solidify Arrowhead as a more long term location by giving the stadium access to transit.

That would help re-develop corridors of Jackson County that desperately need investment.

I think Jackson County would actually support a tax for a LRT and better bus system.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A campaign done well for the same site in crossroads where more than a second is spent explaining concerns like parking people have with real details (remember for months some of us were begging the royals for this but told it's too early) and actual time is spent explaining the site, it will pass.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

The bus system and transit is a whole nother bunch of bananas. There are fed laws and fair free.

I continue to think the best solution is give the chiefs TSC and the royals go to east village with an actual neighborhood built around. Let's call that the mythical 1 billion they were going to invest before Q and cordish said you don't have to pretend to spend any of that money.

It could have been good.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

My fantasy site was East Crossroads and it almost came true but like everyone here agrees, they fucked it up.

I still do have a strong feeling it could happen because KCMO is going to help pay for it.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

WoodDraw wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:48 pm The bus system and transit is a whole nother bunch of bananas. There are fed laws and fair free.

I continue to think the best solution is give the chiefs TSC and the royals go to east village with an actual neighborhood built around. Let's call that the mythical 1 billion they were going to invest before Q and cordish said you don't have to pretend to spend any of that money.

It could have been good.
I'm still on board with EV. The Crossroads is such a divisive location and opposition to that location came from many interests outside of the footprint. Voter results showed poor support from downtown and Midtown, and that makes sense considering residents in these locations are probably more likely to frequent those businesses than residents outside of the river/crown/Midtown/Plaza corridor.

If the Royals can't count on support from those areas they seriously don't have a sizeable voter base to stand on, especially if they're planning to go with another county vote.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

East Village is worse than Crossroads because you’re evicting residents of two affordable housing buildings, need to vacate many more streets, and have to contend with the Feds. If you think KCTenants was pissed about crossroads, you should see them if East Village was brought up.
TheBigChuckbowski
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by TheBigChuckbowski »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 pm East Village is worse than Crossroads because you’re evicting residents of two affordable housing buildings, need to vacate many more streets, and have to contend with the Feds. If you think KCTenants was pissed about crossroads, you should see them if East Village was brought up.
Easily overcome by being proactive in the form of paying moving costs, building affordable housing as part of the development and speaking with tenants before anything concrete goes public. KC Tenants are going to be against it no matter what but if the tenants are happy with what the Royals do for them, no average voter in Kansas City is going to listen to whatever KCT wants to say. Hell, build more affordable housing than what's there currently and get the tenants to publicly support the stadium and KCT will look silly when they're still against it. Wonder what the longest tenured tenant in EV is? It's not like there's people that will be getting thrown out of their homes of 30 years.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:31 pm
Chris Stritzel wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 pm East Village is worse than Crossroads because you’re evicting residents of two affordable housing buildings, need to vacate many more streets, and have to contend with the Feds. If you think KCTenants was pissed about crossroads, you should see them if East Village was brought up.
Easily overcome by being proactive in the form of paying moving costs, building affordable housing as part of the development and speaking with tenants before anything concrete goes public. KC Tenants are going to be against it no matter what but if the tenants are happy with what the Royals do for them, no average voter in Kansas City is going to listen to whatever KCT wants to say. Hell, build more affordable housing than what's there currently and get the tenants to publicly support the stadium and KCT will look silly when they're still against it. Wonder what the longest tenured tenant in EV is? It's not like there's people that will be getting thrown out of their homes of 30 years.
In an interview on KCUR Tara Raghuveer said KCT wasn't necessarily against an East Village location. Also, you would think it would be in the Royals best interests if they're going to ask the city for incentives to replace that affordable housing. I'd even say they should replace and add additional affordable housing units, if not in EV than in Paseo West.

And in terms of infrastructure and redoing the east loop highway, the city and state should already have this on their priority list. It's been a bottleneck and will continue to be until it's addressed.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

All that sounds nice, but that leaves the elephant in the room: the Federal Government.

Unless that vacate the building at 9th and Locust (eliminating their usage of the garage at 10th and Cherry) and they hire more security guards for the Bolling Federal Building, then the stadium is a non-starter.