New Chiefs Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: New Chiefs Stadium

Post by KCPowercat »

And no way all sports betting revenue is going to go to one team. Every pro team will want a slice.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 am And no way all sports betting revenue is going to go to one team. Every pro team will want a slice.
Exactly, we have to remember STL has MLB, NHL, and MLS, Springfield has AA baseball, etc. plus St Charles has had a few minor league hockey teams, doesn't appear they have one at the moment, plus indoor soccer, pro tennis, women's soccer, etc. Lot's of people will be asking for a slice, but we know the state of MO will be desperate to give most to the Chiefs to keep them in MO.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

I I'd agree MO will throw the kitchen sink at the chiefs
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

dnweava wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 am Just a reminder that Kansas only earned $7 million from sports betting for it's first full year. Sports betting tax revenue will not pay for a stadium alone in either state so we don't have to worry about Kansas being able to use that to build the Chiefs a $2 billion dome capable of hosting superbowls/final fours like they may want. I also don't think the NFL or NCAA would have any interest in hosting events at the legends when so many cities have downtown domes and Chicago and Nashville are about to join that downtown Dome list of cities like Detroit, Indy, New Orleans, etc They aren't hosting their event in a field in Kansas over downtown in a cool city.

MO has twice the population, and some of that $7 million is coming from MO residents living in KC that drive to KS to bet, so you can expect that to go down once MO legalizes it. Let's say the state of MO offers the Chiefs $10-15 million/year from expected sports betting revenue, there would still be a big gap in funding to fill.
Houston, Phoenix are both NCAA sites that have little around them. Plus Arlington.
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

2024 is outpacing 2023 KS State sports betting state tax revenues. January was double and February 300x of what they brought in previous year
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:02 am
dnweava wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:27 am Just a reminder that Kansas only earned $7 million from sports betting for it's first full year. Sports betting tax revenue will not pay for a stadium alone in either state so we don't have to worry about Kansas being able to use that to build the Chiefs a $2 billion dome capable of hosting superbowls/final fours like they may want. I also don't think the NFL or NCAA would have any interest in hosting events at the legends when so many cities have downtown domes and Chicago and Nashville are about to join that downtown Dome list of cities like Detroit, Indy, New Orleans, etc They aren't hosting their event in a field in Kansas over downtown in a cool city.

MO has twice the population, and some of that $7 million is coming from MO residents living in KC that drive to KS to bet, so you can expect that to go down once MO legalizes it. Let's say the state of MO offers the Chiefs $10-15 million/year from expected sports betting revenue, there would still be a big gap in funding to fill.
Houston, Phoenix are both NCAA sites that have little around them. Plus Arlington.
warm weather cities with 3x and 4x our population. They can still have outdoor party zones around the stadium.

The only cold weather city that has had a suburban dome is Detroit (2X our population), and they moved downtown over 20 years ago. The Silverdome never hosted a final 4 or Super bowl. There is no equivalent stadium that we can point to showing a city of only 2 million could land those events with a suburban dome. Our only peer with a dome is Indianapolis and they are downtown.

Cleveland wants to build a dome by their airport, literally zero people are interested in going to a superbowl or final 4 in suburban Cleveland.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:33 am And no way all sports betting revenue is going to go to one team. Every pro team will want a slice.
And the Cardinals will get a bigger slice than the Chiefs from the booger eaters in Jeff City.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:44 am I I'd agree MO will throw the kitchen sink at the chiefs
Call your Senator and ask him just what is in that sink, and what is in Kansas's...
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Imarealperson wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 10:02 am

Arlington might not have great residential around the stadium but it's a perfect setup for big events. Glendale Arizona is great too with the development right there and a big new VIA resort being built up.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

If KS is able to put together a proposal to build the Chiefs a brand new modern stadium, how is MO going to compete with that? Would they be able to? And if MO somehow does find a billion or more dollars for the Chiefs, what happens to the Royals? Is MO going to come up with money for two new stadiums? The Royals are going to need state help if they are staying in MO.

I think the Chiefs are off to KS and the Royals are off to NKC and Jackson County will continue to deteriorate outside of Lee's Summit and western KCMO.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:22 pm I think the Chiefs are off to KS and the Royals are off to NKC and Jackson County will continue to deteriorate outside of Lee's Summit and western KCMO.
Have you been to Lees Summit lately?! I mean Raintree is ok if you like that sort of thing but most of the rest is just 1970s split levels. It’s Springfield.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:22 pm If KS is able to put together a proposal to build the Chiefs a brand new modern stadium, how is MO going to compete with that? Would they be able to? And if MO somehow does find a billion or more dollars for the Chiefs, what happens to the Royals? Is MO going to come up with money for two new stadiums? The Royals are going to need state help if they are staying in MO.

I think the Chiefs are off to KS and the Royals are off to NKC and Jackson County will continue to deteriorate outside of Lee's Summit and western KCMO.
Royals will give downtown another shot. Chiefs to Kansas won't hurt most peoples feelings but I doubt it happens.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

At this point, I think the Chiefs are better off in KS.

I have conceeded that there is no stopping the continued migration of KC's economy and culture to the KS side. KCMO and Jackson County just can not get their shit tother. I mean Jackson County can't even fund a decent bus system. And with groups like KC tenants, it's only gong to get worse as development becomes nearly impossible even in KCMO's urban core.

At least the Chiefs would get a modern NFL stadium that would bring major events to the metro and there would be more than a giant vacant hotel nearby.

The Royals might try again for downtown, but I doubt it. I think they go all in on NKC and will get help from both the local voters and the state to make it happen.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

People use KC tenants like a freaking crutch. They aren't that powerful. It's pure inept KC leadership. Just like this vote was purely on the owners but everybody blaming KC tenants. Lol.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:53 pm The Royals might try again for downtown, but I doubt it. I think they go all in on NKC and will get help from both the local voters and the state to make it happen.
Bruh how the hell would they get funding from NKC if they can’t even get it from Jackson.

They’d be asking for even *more* of a tax from an even *more conservative* county. That’ll never happen.

Which is why eventually they’ll wind up back downtown again, with a proposal that will actually pass and have time to grow on people before the polls.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Because NKC would get support. It's not Downtown.

You guys still just don't get it.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm Because NKC would get support. It's not Downtown.

So, they're going to vote themselves a 1% sales tax increase?!? They don't even vote to fund the zoo.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:37 pm Because NKC would get support. It's not Downtown.

I'm pretty sure we got a pretty good handle on it.

Not sure why trying so hard to blame the voters when it is so clear the royals and chiefs plan was horrible. People don't vote for horrible plans. They need shown the sexy pictures and the details.

No matter how much you want it to be this isn't s rebuke on downtown. 20 years ago sure.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:33 pm
GRID wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:22 pm If KS is able to put together a proposal to build the Chiefs a brand new modern stadium, how is MO going to compete with that? Would they be able to? And if MO somehow does find a billion or more dollars for the Chiefs, what happens to the Royals? Is MO going to come up with money for two new stadiums? The Royals are going to need state help if they are staying in MO.

Royals will give downtown another shot. Chiefs to Kansas won't hurt most peoples feelings but I doubt it happens.
What?! You will see outrage like you've never seen before if they suggest they're going to leave Arrowhead. It will make the "save the K' group look like pre-school children.

The Chiefs aren't going anywhere but they need to let people think it's a possibility to get what they want. Let Kansas think they've got a chance, city and state step up and we're settled for 25 years.
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

Ok DCole but here’s what you’re not getting…if the Chiefs “aren’t going anywhere” then they’re gonna have to do a HELL of alot more than they showed in those renderings. They might need a dome, they will atleast need a whole new exterior. Prob some legit development there too.

Kansas will offer all of that. If Missouri can get atleast close to that then yeah they’ll stay. But def not with that shit they just showed us.