Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by Highlander »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:57 am
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 am
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:37 am East village would not have gotten any more yes votes. I think it woukd have gotten more no votesi n the suburbs. You guys are in a bubble downtown in relation to the rest of the county
What's the difference between EV and EC to someone in Eastern Jack?
I know so many people in eastern Jackson County. I feel like I'm one of the only people on this forum that has a lot of ties to eastern Jackson County. I have family and friends all over the suburbs there.

The EV didn't excite anybody. It was not enough of an upgrade from Kauffman. People in the eastern suburbs are more familiar with the east loop than people think. They use the courthouses, they have been to the MO state building, many work in the federal budlings. Most fed employees live in the east suburbs. They know how disconnected and isolated that part of downtown is. They know it's close to some of downtown's rougher areas to the east. When the Star site came up, most people I know really liked the site. The renderings made them give the downtown stadium idea a more serious consideration and many supported it. That is till the downtown and crossroads crowd didn't and the anti stadium people latched on to "destroy the crossroads" campaign and spewed a ton of mis information even while the Crossroads was actually working with the Royals to deal with concerns.

Then most jumped on board thinking. Well if downtown doesn't want this, then why should I?

I know of nobody that was for the EV location in the suburbs. They just saw nothing about that location that interested them. Most prefeed the NKC site over that site if it came down to it.
I'm a little surprised to hear that. I didn't think it really made a difference since most east Jackson County people still voted no. I thought they were generally just protecting what they thought was their interest in having the stadium in the TSC. I know several people in Brookside that voted no. I just talked to one of them a couple of days ago (someone that goes to a lot of games) and they basically said "why would I want to go downtown and have to deal with parking and homeless when neither are issues at Kaufman Stadium?" I suggested they could ride the streetcar and their response was "are you kidding". That was pretty much the prevalent attitude of almost everyone I know that voted no. Neither EV or EC would have satisfied any of them. I did know people that voted no for other reasons but that was the primary reasons.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

WoodDraw wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:51 am

Women and minority tend to be less union, so you come out at the same time and say we're going to guarantee best in class representation along with education for the next generation.
Black Americans have the highest rate of union density of any racial or ethnic group, and 9.5% of working women in the US are in a union, compared to 10.5% of males, so that difference is pretty slim.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

Highlander wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am I suggested they could ride the streetcar and their response was "are you kidding". That was pretty much the prevalent attitude of almost everyone I know that voted no.
People on this board are likely very forward thinking. Most people aren't. They can't envision something before they actually do it or hear from someone they trust who has done it. The streetcar isn't going to be a magnet for downtown and development until it actually extends into their areas. I, personally, think downtown sports is a foregone conclusion. Most people just move slow. Progress is so fucking slow!
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

Highlander wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:07 am
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:57 am
TheBigChuckbowski wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:40 am

What's the difference between EV and EC to someone in Eastern Jack?
I know so many people in eastern Jackson County. I feel like I'm one of the only people on this forum that has a lot of ties to eastern Jackson County. I have family and friends all over the suburbs there.

The EV didn't excite anybody. It was not enough of an upgrade from Kauffman. People in the eastern suburbs are more familiar with the east loop than people think. They use the courthouses, they have been to the MO state building, many work in the federal budlings. Most fed employees live in the east suburbs. They know how disconnected and isolated that part of downtown is. They know it's close to some of downtown's rougher areas to the east. When the Star site came up, most people I know really liked the site. The renderings made them give the downtown stadium idea a more serious consideration and many supported it. That is till the downtown and crossroads crowd didn't and the anti stadium people latched on to "destroy the crossroads" campaign and spewed a ton of mis information even while the Crossroads was actually working with the Royals to deal with concerns.

Then most jumped on board thinking. Well if downtown doesn't want this, then why should I?

I know of nobody that was for the EV location in the suburbs. They just saw nothing about that location that interested them. Most prefeed the NKC site over that site if it came down to it.
I'm a little surprised to hear that. I didn't think it really made a difference since most east Jackson County people still voted no. I thought they were generally just protecting what they thought was their interest in having the stadium in the TSC. I know several people in Brookside that voted no. I just talked to one of them a couple of days ago (someone that goes to a lot of games) and they basically said "why would I want to go downtown and have to deal with parking and homeless when neither are issues at Kaufman Stadium?" I suggested they could ride the streetcar and their response was "are you kidding". That was pretty much the prevalent attitude of almost everyone I know that voted no. Neither EV or EC would have satisfied any of them. I did know people that voted no for other reasons but that was the primary reasons.
I mean I also know plenty of people that are just against a downtown stadium period. But many were in favor especially after coming to the realization that the team is not staying at Kauffman. My point is I honestly think that any votes you gain by going to EV would have been offset by more NO votes in the suburbs.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:47 pm So strange how Jackson County and KCMO have different election boards. But also makes sense considering KCMO is in 4 different counties. Also pretty impressive that KC has more voters turning out than the rest of Jackson County.
To further confuse, KCEB only covers the Jackson Co. portion of KCMO. The Northland elections are handled by the Clay and Platte Co. elections Boards.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:06 am Oh and the other reason that so many people I know to vote no was they felt bullied. By both teams. Shut up and vote yes or we are leaving. Pissed lot of people off.
They never even hinted at this.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:12 pm Moved here as an outsider and feel regardless of location there's an insurmountable car centric mentality that just can't be defeated. Makes me want to consider my options and start to look elsewhere. Reaction over the next few weeks is key but it's an uphill battle.
I have lived here 25 years and what I would tell anyone is if you don't like the way KC is right now, you will not like it in 25 years, because not much changes here and not much is going to. Sincerely.
chingon
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by chingon »

KCPowercat wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:45 am
GRID wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:06 am Oh and the other reason that so many people I know to vote no was they felt bullied. By both teams. Shut up and vote yes or we are leaving. Pissed lot of people off.
They never even hinted at this.
Their proxies did.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Man I just don't think we know what threatening to leave even means if we think this campaign had that element.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

chingon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:47 am I have lived here 25 years and what I would tell anyone is if you don't like the way KC is right now, you will not like it in 25 years, because not much changes here and not much is going to. Sincerely.
Oh come on! In the last 25 years we have a new streetcar line, Sprint Center, P&L Dustrict, KC Current stadium on the River, dozens of high rise renovations, 1-2-3 Light, NFL Draft,World Cup coming, championship parades, New KCI…
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:15 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:50 am
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:16 am This is going to be a snoozer. Biggest question will be whether the “Yes’s” can get to 35%. It won’t be close, unfortunately.
Can’t wait to blast you later tonight after the vote!
I hope you get to! I voted yes. I think the coalition of no voters is much broader than people realize.
Agreed. It's a shame folks can't take the opposition seriously. KCT is wielding a pretty big axe with their constant misinformation, harassment, infiltration campaign. As evidenced today. Think of how much more would have been built in the last five years, and next five years if it wasn't for their interference.

viewtopic.php?t=21262
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:54 pm
Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm I keep seeing tweets from people saying they voted no but they don't mind the Royals Downtown just not in this rushed manner at the Crossroads. @DColeKC you think there is any possibilty they come back for a second stab at DT if it's no or it's then off to try Clay County or Kansas?
I feel a bit slighted at this point by the Mayor. I was told, well a group I was with in a meeting were told that there are other ways to get this site done without Jackson County being involved or this tax more specifically. However, we were also told that using condemnation would not be a problem if it were to be needed as a last resort, yet the Mayor recently said he would not use it. I'm starting to feel like we got played a bit by him.

I didn't get a great feeling that they'd want to try this vote again, but the next few days will interesting and I hope revealing if this vote fails.
Wait, you're just now learning that Lucas is a snake?

I'm surprised. Genuinely.
Anthony_Hugo98
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Anthony_Hugo98 »

chingon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:47 am
Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:12 pm Moved here as an outsider and feel regardless of location there's an insurmountable car centric mentality that just can't be defeated. Makes me want to consider my options and start to look elsewhere. Reaction over the next few weeks is key but it's an uphill battle.
I have lived here 25 years and what I would tell anyone is if you don't like the way KC is right now, you will not like it in 25 years, because not much changes here and not much is going to. Sincerely.
Jesus what a fucking stellar attitude to perpetuate. It’s refreshing that most of this board long term doesn’t maintain this attitude, because Jesus, if the most hopeful of any people in KC perpetuate this attitude, we quite literally would be doomed as a region…
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

im2kull wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:06 pm
DMNBT_RCJH wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:15 am
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:50 am

Can’t wait to blast you later tonight after the vote!
I hope you get to! I voted yes. I think the coalition of no voters is much broader than people realize.
Agreed. It's a shame folks can't take the opposition seriously. KCT is wielding a pretty big axe with their constant misinformation, harassment, infiltration campaign. As evidenced today. Think of how much more would have been built in the last five years, and next five years if it wasn't for their interference.

viewtopic.php?t=21262
^ this. KC better open its eyes. 25 years is a long time. Every peer city out there (except maybe Memphis) has done at least as much as KC has in the past 25 years. Most a LOT more. Outside of P&L, KC has not really changed that much in 25 years. It's fine. it's been a slow and steady growth, but groups like KCT are basically shutting down the slow and steady urban growth that KCMO does get.

It's not the end of all, but KC has got to get back to having a more progressive "we want to grow and evolve" and not just stay the same forever attitude. Everything is not fine there when it comes to that. KC is already a bubble metro (now hovering just outside the top 30) meaning if it's not careful, the metro could fall to a minor league metro in the next 25 years. But if it gets its act together, it could just as easily jump back into the top 30. Need to keep investing in the city and not stop. Every time KCMO sees some momentum, it's shut down for years.
Last edited by GRID on Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WoodDraw
Hotel President
Hotel President

Post by WoodDraw »

chingon wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:13 am
WoodDraw wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:51 am

Women and minority tend to be less union, so you come out at the same time and say we're going to guarantee best in class representation along with education for the next generation.
Black Americans have the highest rate of union density of any racial or ethnic group, and 9.5% of working women in the US are in a union, compared to 10.5% of males, so that difference is pretty slim.
I am not an expert on this, but my understanding was that those numbers change for jobs like this.

But I'll make clear I'm just bullshitting and not attempting to be an expert. I would talk, as I've had a million coffees, but I'm just kcrag bullshitting here.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

beautyfromashes wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:50 am They lost it in February (months after the site should have been locked down) when they chose EC.
It was lost at the very first announcement when it was said the team was moving on from The K. The Royals thought they could ride on the coattails of the Chiefs with the belief the voters can't say no to the Chiefs. From that point on it was like one step forward followed by two steps back.
The NO votes percentages in KC and the rest of Jackson County were basically the same. The team and the city leaders have to understand they got their work cut out for team if the issue goes to another vote. And hopefully there isn't a rush to do a repeat.
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

The Royals just terminated their agreement with the Crossroads.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

ericwyner wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:12 am but how do you please the "save the K crowd"?
Tell them the truth.. that the "K" is owned by Jackson County and that the Jackson County Sports Authority + Legislature are the only folks who can determine the fate of the "K".

It's not rocket science. The landlord is in control of the property. Not the tenant.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:34 pm The Royals just terminated their agreement with the Crossroads.
Makes me think they were never really committed to the Crossroads.
KC is the way to be!
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

DaveKCMO wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:34 pm The Royals just terminated their agreement with the Crossroads.
Good. The CCA dicked around and it SHOULD cost them this generational opportunity, along with the sweetheart agreement. The CCA never endorsing and only agreeing on THE DAY OF the vote is absurd. Maybe they can get Chartreuse to sponsor their new DEI and employment guidelines?