Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
shinatoo
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:56 pm
shinatoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:28 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 am I’m a little nervous today. Wish we had live coverage and exit polling!

I saw KCTenants were up to their lies last night. They were continuing to push the idea that this is a new tax.
Belaboring the point. This is a new tax. We passed a 20 year tax that is set to expire. This reNEWS it with 40 more years, it's new. Years 2027-2064 didn't exist before today, meaning they are new. New agreement with the county. New vote. New F-in stadium. Just because the amount and general purpose didn't change doesn't mean it's not new.
Will you be paying anything NEW if the vote passes?
Yes, I'll be paying 40 new years of sales tax (or a large portion of that I hope). When your lease on your car is about to run out do you get a new lease or do you just continue paying what you were paying before? Both really, but you're a sucker if you buy that it's not a new lease because the payments stayed the same.

In fact, the lease example is better because the tax is a %, so with inflation the amount is actually going up.

But again, this is just me being pedantic.
dnweava
New York Life
New York Life

Post by dnweava »

Grid finds other NFL stadiums boring, but also wants one of those boring stadiums.

The bowl of Arrowhead can NOT legally be built again because if modern building codes and the ADA. We will not have the same amount of fans that close to the field and making that much noise, and with such great sight lines in a new building ever again
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:10 pm
dnweava wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:55 pm
TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:46 pm

I think it will pass. And I want it to pass so that we get the important part here (the Royals going downtown). But I just can't get over how pathetic than Chiefs proposal was. It's just downright embarrassing. Idc what DCole says, that proposal is shitty for everyone. It is totally unbefitting of a dynastic team with super-star celebrities like Mahomes & Kelce.
I actually love how the renovation doesn't change the appearance of Arrowhead. The most recent renovation to Lambeau makes it look hideous. With Buffalo getting a new stadium, we have the only classic stadium left. Arrowhead is now the Wrigley or Fenway of the NFL. We are the stadium on every NFL fans bucket list.
It's not even classic though. It's just concrete spiral staircases and an endless parking lot, all from the 60's. Lambeau atleast looks old. Ours looks old, but in that crappy suburban 70s way like the Oakland Colliseum is.
Incorrect.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Anyways, we celebrating downtown baseball in 6 hours?
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:38 pm Anyways, we celebrating downtown baseball in 6 hours?
I think so.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

GRID wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:16 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:12 pm How’s it constantly make the top 3 “bucket list” stadiums on every single list that comes out if it’s just a “KC” thing? I could take an hour and share 10 links to these types of national fan voted polls but it’s a moot point. Here’s just one.

https://10best.usatoday.com/awards/trav ... dium-2023/
I'll be the first to say that Arrowhead is a destination for NFL fans. But it's not because of the stadium itself. It's the whole experience.

Having been to many NFL stadiums, going to a game in KC is just different. I guess it's more like a college game? I'm not sure because I have never been to a major college game. But I find games in many NFL stadiums to be "boring" compared to KC.

But honestly, I can say the same thing about the Royals When the Royals are good and the stadium is sold out, Kauffman becomes one of the best venues in MLB to watch a game. KC sports fans seem to get into games more than most places.

I was at the home opener in DC yesterday and the atmosphere was nothing compared to some regular season games in KC. KC just takes sports more seriously or something.

I think if the Chiefs moved to a new stadium, it would not become "sterile" like you see in many cities. KC is not a corporate type of town where half the fans are just there to be there and got tickets through work or something. I think the fans would bring the same atmosphere to a new stadium. Which is why I think the Downtown stadium for the royals will be amazing once it finally happens.
I agree it's an overall atmosphere thing but the stadium and game experience itself is hard to beat. I've been to every NFL stadium with the exception of MetLife. There's just something about the design of Arrowhead that you don't get these days and it's due to some forward thinking in the early 70's. It can't be replicated. So many other stadiums make me wonder if I'm at a football game or a tennis match. I've been told to sit down in almost every other one.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

Just watch any stadium review on Youtube. It gets high marks.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:38 pm Anyways, we celebrating downtown baseball in 6 hours?
I have all available digits crossed.
GRID
City Hall
City Hall

Post by GRID »

dnweava wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 4:37 pm Grid finds other NFL stadiums boring, but also wants one of those boring stadiums.

The bowl of Arrowhead can NOT legally be built again because if modern building codes and the ADA. We will not have the same amount of fans that close to the field and making that much noise, and with such great sight lines in a new building ever again
Which is why I'm fine with going with the more "cheap" route and renovating arrowhead. It's worth 800 million to keep Arrowhead around another 25 years (especially if it gets KC a new downtown ballpark). I still think it's the whole package, the fans, the tailgating etc, and less about the stadium itself.

Renovating Arrowhead makes the most sense right now because there is no way KC (or any city) could build two new stadiums at the same time. Your talking about 3-4 billion dollars. I love Arrowhead, but it's Chiefs Kingdom that makes Arrowhead what it is. I don't think KC needs a new NFL stadium at all right now. But yeah, the stadium is dated. Hopefully the renovations will be better than renderings show.

I'm just saying I think the Chiefs will still be in a new stadium long before the tax expires. They are kicking the can down the road a bit and will have to figure out what to do with that tax later.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Seems like we’ve got some Jill Stein voters in here.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Imarealperson wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:01 pm Seems like we’ve got some Jill Stein voters in here.
KC tenants members?
Rusty Irish
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Rusty Irish »

I keep seeing tweets from people saying they voted no but they don't mind the Royals Downtown just not in this rushed manner at the Crossroads. @DColeKC you think there is any possibilty they come back for a second stab at DT if it's no or it's then off to try Clay County or Kansas?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Rusty Irish wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 6:11 pm I keep seeing tweets from people saying they voted no but they don't mind the Royals Downtown just not in this rushed manner at the Crossroads. @DColeKC you think there is any possibilty they come back for a second stab at DT if it's no or it's then off to try Clay County or Kansas?
You didn't ask me but I'd bet anything one more chance at this same location with a fuller baked plan. Then if that fails it's headed elsewhere in the metro.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

ericwyner wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:20 pm
Imarealperson wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:01 pm Seems like we’ve got some Jill Stein voters in here.
KC tenants members?
I doubt many of them vote.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

If the vote fails the Chiefs announce a new stadium in Village West (maybe a combined Sporting/Chiefs stadium). Royals come back with a fully baked plan that gets the full 3/4 tax over 20 years and say, "We want to stay, but look what happened with the Chiefs". Vote passes. Maybe just a KCMO vote.

I think it passes tonight though.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

POLLS CLOSED.
DMNBT_RCJH
Pad site
Pad site

Post by DMNBT_RCJH »

ITS GONNA COME DOWN TO FLORIDA FLORIDA FLORIDA TOM
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

JaxCo absentee ballots in (does not include KCMO).
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

That's close to the 60/40 split I predicted. But, we're not done yet.
KC is the way to be!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

bspecht wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 7:07 pm JaxCo absentee ballots in (does not include KCMO).
This makes me uneasy but I do know many of the serious NO people voted early, including opposition representative Jill Cockson.