Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by mourban »

^if it’s an occasional closing, particularly for a good event, who cares
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 am It wouldn't be the entire park and I'm guessing only a few times a year. For example, maybe a Beer Fest or a fundraiser using the pavilion area. I'm not saying every weekend and multiple downtown organizations would have this ability to apply for a permit to use it.

Kylde Warren Park is used a few times each year for ticketed type events, including a fundraiser that supports the operations and upkeep of the park.
My main point of this was that I don't want there to be events in part of the park during Royals games. The park should be fully open to everyone with none of it set aside for "VIP areas" or "party tents" or the like. It also should be fully controlled by the city and highly restricted to closure. We might be making progress on Grand closures but having it closed many weekends is the type of situation I would want to avoid.
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

What lid?
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

chrizow wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:06 am
Chris Stritzel wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:53 am
I will say that the “yard sign wars” have been pretty even on this matter. I swear I have seen an equal number of yes signs to no signs.
interesting, in BKS i feel like the yard signs I have seen have been 75% yes and 25% no
Same. I also figured there would be alot of "No" signs in the Crossroads. Saw more "Yes" signs there
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:25 am
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:12 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 am

I saw KCTenants were up to their lies last night. They were sharing a fake document as if it was an official joint statement as well as continuing to push the idea that this is a new tax.
I got that same document in an email from the chiefs. Are you saying they changed the words?
Did the document you received talk about how there is no plan b?
It did.
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:27 am You people think too much about online comment sections and less about the actual data & history of these votes which is that pass literally 98% of the time anywhere in the country. That's a much much better indicator. So yeah, it'll prob pass, and yes I will be dunking all over Grid and co. tonight after it.
I’ve noticed most voices against this have been the same on social media. There are few new faces when I check through comment sections. But I won’t write off social media as a tool to gauge how well, or bad, something’s going. Even if some people don’t live in KCMO, or Jackson County, they might have friends who do who they can then encourage to vote. We’ll see how the results go tonight.

I will say that the “yard sign wars” have been pretty even on this matter. I swear I have seen an equal number of yes signs to no signs.
some neighborhoods have few of either sign
ericwyner
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by ericwyner »

Metro wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:12 pm
interesting, in BKS i feel like the yard signs I have seen have been 75% yes and 25% no
Same. I also figured there would be alot of "No" signs in the Crossroads. Saw more "Yes" signs there
on empty buildings?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:34 am
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:28 am It wouldn't be the entire park and I'm guessing only a few times a year. For example, maybe a Beer Fest or a fundraiser using the pavilion area. I'm not saying every weekend and multiple downtown organizations would have this ability to apply for a permit to use it.

Kylde Warren Park is used a few times each year for ticketed type events, including a fundraiser that supports the operations and upkeep of the park.
My main point of this was that I don't want there to be events in part of the park during Royals games. The park should be fully open to everyone with none of it set aside for "VIP areas" or "party tents" or the like. It also should be fully controlled by the city and highly restricted to closure. We might be making progress on Grand closures but having it closed many weekends is the type of situation I would want to avoid.
But a street is made for traffic and a park is made for gatherings. I agree, having the public gathering area of the park private even more than say 6 total days of the year could be pushing it. I'm sure event planners would work around Royals schedule to avoid having something on a home game day. I think it would be operated by a non-profit or downtown council. Maybe a combination of the two.

The only part I can see being private is the pavilion area, I think the area close to the stadium and the west end would always remain open, no matter what.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:12 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:12 am

I got that same document in an email from the chiefs. Are you saying they changed the words?
It did.
They keep trying to push the idea that it's a new tax and the idea that the people will pay more if they vote yes. It's a manipulation of the facts at best.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

ericwyner wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:13 pm
Metro wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:12 pm

on empty buildings?
Some certainly were but others were not
empires228
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by empires228 »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 7:53 pm Nobody in the northland is voting either way
Should have mentioned that a lot of them commute about as far as I do… Mostly from Independence and Raytown.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:23 pm

It did.
They keep trying to push the idea that it's a new tax and the idea that the people will pay more if they vote yes. It's a manipulation of the facts at best.
So to be clear they did not share a fake document?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:45 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:23 pm

It did.
So to be clear they did not share a fake document?
They shared a marked up document with commentary. I've corrected my original comment.
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 am I saw KCTenants were up to their lies last night. They were continuing to push the idea that this is a new tax.
If I remember correctly technically it is a new tax. If it passes the old tax is set aside and in its place is a new tax, for the same amount, that will expire in 40 years.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:59 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 am I saw KCTenants were up to their lies last night. They were continuing to push the idea that this is a new tax.
If I remember correctly technically it is a new tax. If it passes the old tax is set aside and in its place is a new tax, for the same amount, that will expire in 40 years.
I don't disagree that in the literal sense, we are asking to have one tax cancelled and a new tax implemented but it's the same amount, meaning no increase and no one is suddenly paying more as they would with a brand new tax. I think too many people look at KCT's propaganda and assume it means more money will come out of their bank accounts.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 am I’m a little nervous today. Wish we had live coverage and exit polling!

I saw KCTenants were up to their lies last night. They were continuing to push the idea that this is a new tax.
Belaboring the point. This is a new tax. We passed a 20 year tax that is set to expire. This reNEWS it with 40 more years, it's new. Years 2027-2064 didn't exist before today, meaning they are new. New agreement with the county. New vote. New F-in stadium. Just because the amount and general purpose didn't change doesn't mean it's not new.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 pm I think too many people look at KCT's propaganda and assume it means more money will come out of their bank accounts.
With standard inflation on a percentage tax, it will.
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Last edited by bspecht on Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mourban
Parking Garage
Parking Garage

Post by mourban »

beautyfromashes wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:32 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:03 pm I think too many people look at KCT's propaganda and assume it means more money will come out of their bank accounts.
With standard inflation on a percentage tax, it will.
At a personal level, the tax is really not a lot of money, no matter how much you spend.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

shinatoo wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:28 pm
DColeKC wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 9:16 am I’m a little nervous today. Wish we had live coverage and exit polling!

I saw KCTenants were up to their lies last night. They were continuing to push the idea that this is a new tax.
Belaboring the point. This is a new tax. We passed a 20 year tax that is set to expire. This reNEWS it with 40 more years, it's new. Years 2027-2064 didn't exist before today, meaning they are new. New agreement with the county. New vote. New F-in stadium. Just because the amount and general purpose didn't change doesn't mean it's not new.
Will you be paying anything NEW if the vote passes?