Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
DColeKC
Ambassador

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by DColeKC »

taxi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 6:13 am Well, get a load of this. John Sherman comes out to explain exactly why the new stadium belongs in the Crossroads.
https://youtu.be/xlcIgzmER9k?si=Ig4E1yJ_hYYsRDTw
This is a so clearly a deep fake video you compete and utter moron.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 5:38 am Comments by one who has long term ties to KC.
"Subject: ROYALS OWNERSHIP TO KANSAS CITY: ''LET THEM EAT CAKE.''
Hello Mr. Helling, [Feb 13, 2024]
I've read some of your articles on this subject and must lead off with the disclaimer that my work schedule is such that I could well have missed that others have already noted some of the things mentioned below.
The nonsense statements by the design firm pushing for a Crossroads stadium site can only have been made by someone who (1) has seldom, if ever, had to drive through the area after about 3 pm, and (2) is secure in the knowledge that if they are going to attend an occasional game at a stadium there, they will be able to pull into the very small number of on-site spaces reserved for VIPs. I’m also willing to bet that they have never in their lives ridden a city bus let alone had to experience the joys as I have of not being able to board a Plaza-bound bus at Union Station because they are already full. The streetcars, while nice, will not fundamentally change that without quite a bit of extra capacity during surge periods.
The oft repeated ”40,000 parking spaces within a 10-minute [now 20-minute] walk’’ is technically true but blows by the pesky fact that, gosh, there’s people who live and work down there who’s cars already take up quite a few of those spots. Moreover, baseball won’t be the only game in downtown. [There's] Bartle, the Municipal Auditorium, the Kauffman and T-Mobile centers, [plus the new women's soccer stadium] all of which operate on their own schedules. I suspect that the fellow who made the glib pronouncement that “existing parking downtown can accommodate fans who drive to games” has never had to go on a safari to hunt down decent parking when multiple facilities have simultaneous events.
None of this, of course, addresses the plain fact that business in the Crossroads itself will be choked off by the Stadium traffic. Says the firm designing the stadium: “The beauty of the Crossroads sites is that we can park all 9,000 people that we need to park, all 9,000 cars, with existing lots." So, during game days if you want to go to a business in the Crossroads you will either drive endlessly, block by block by block searching for a spot where someone has just pulled out or park in one of the Crown Center lots and just hoof it? But have no fear. The Royals’ owners “want to be good neighbors.”
The baseball fans themselves, of which I am one, will be in for much the same thing due to the aforementioned competing events, downtown workers, Crossroads - Power & Light patrons, and so on during the parking lot / spot gridlock within the notional “10 [now -20] minute walk” area. Upon experiencing this a couple times people, frankly, will just start cutting back on the number of games they attend. After the notoriety and curiosity of the first year or so, watch for a steadily decline in attendance.
Lastly, while it has not yet had time to percolate, the broad-daylight mass shooting at Union Station has prompted two women and one man I know –– all with families and all who periodically go to Kauffman Stadium –– to state that they are “unlikely” or “won’t” go to games at that specific location. The common opinion among them is that if a police presence of 800 can’t prevent a modern-day repeat of the Union Station Massacre in the middle of the day and while thousands of people around, just how safe is it going to be as the throngs of exiting fans gets thinner and thinner as they reach the outer edges of that 10-minute –– now ''20-minute'' –– radius at night?
–– Dennis Giangreco (D. M. Giangreco)"
Whomever wrote this sounds like an idiot.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

@FangKC

I appreciate that amazing post. I don’t mind the re-use argument at all. I also don’t disagree with the basic overall argument of your comment. What I push back on is when people try to make it about historical preservation as if that particular bar is so low that a buildings age is the main qualifying criteria.

You’re right, there’s nothing special about the retail buildings Cordish put up. They’re designed to fit the times and serve a purpose. Just like most of the buildings in the crossroads were simple and built with whatever style and construction methods were popular at the time. In 100 years many of the Cordish built retail buildings will probably be removed for something new unless something monumental happens in one.

Anyway, I understand your point and don’t disagree. It’s just the folks making the, “but this building is historical” argument that I disagree with.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

A new rendering with Oak open, a crownvision and some fountains would be cool to release today. I know probably not enough time for Populous to do so but just saying it would be cool and help the vote.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 am @FangKC

I appreciate that amazing post. I don’t mind the re-use argument at all. I also don’t disagree with the basic overall argument of your comment. What I push back on is when people try to make it about historical preservation as if that particular bar is so low that a buildings age is the main qualifying criteria.

You’re right, there’s nothing special about the retail buildings Cordish put up. They’re designed to fit the times and serve a purpose. Just like most of the buildings in the crossroads were simple and built with whatever style and construction methods were popular at the time. In 100 years many of the Cordish built retail buildings will probably be removed for something new unless something monumental happens in one.

Anyway, I understand your point and don’t disagree. It’s just the folks making the, “but this building is historical” argument that I disagree with.
All anybody has done on here is find buildings that have some ability to be reused like we've seen in other areas of downtown that would help blend in this new development with the existing crossroads. That helps actually building into their neighborhood like they have stated they want to do.

Funny to see they now are saying the same thing about buildings east of Oak.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:20 am
DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 am @FangKC

All anybody has done on here is find buildings that have some ability to be reused like we've seen in other areas of downtown that would help blend in this new development with the existing crossroads. That helps actually building into their neighborhood like they have stated they want to do.

Funny to see they now are saying the same thing about buildings east of Oak.
No, that’s not accurate. Some on here have leaned into the history part more than the blending into the existing neighborhood part. Majority of buildings in this area need to come down but no arguments that some are worth at minimum exploring the possibility of keeping.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Hopefully in 48 hours will be moving onto next stage of this discussion!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:33 am Hopefully in 48 hours will be moving onto next stage of this discussion!
What’s the chances some people on here will stop talking among East Village if this passes tomorrow?!

I’m going 51.5% YES tomorrow.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:39 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:33 am Hopefully in 48 hours will be moving onto next stage of this discussion!
What’s the chances some people on here will stop talking among East Village if this passes tomorrow?!

I’m going 51.5% YES tomorrow.
As far as a stadium going there, probably high chances. We for sure have an east village problem to resolve still.
AllThingsKC
Mark Twain Tower
Mark Twain Tower

Post by AllThingsKC »

I wish I was as optimistic as some of you. I think the vote fails 60% - 40%.

Social media (which I know is far from scientific) has been overwhelming vote no. And even the vote yes people aren't completely enthused about the current plan.
KC is the way to be!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

JaxCo has a long history of voting yes for these teams. The only no vote was the rolling roof.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

AllThingsKC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 am I wish I was as optimistic as some of you. I think the vote fails 60% - 40%.

Social media (which I know is far from scientific) has been overwhelming vote no. And even the vote yes people aren't completely enthused about the current plan.
I see that too. The only hope I have is that social media was largely very negative towards the airport and it passed easily. But there is such overwhelming disdain for a downtown stadium coming from so many different ideological angles on social media so who knows. I do think a certain percentage of the Jackson County populace have come to realize that while they may not like the concept of a downtown stadium, they realize Kaufman's days are numbered one way or another and genuinely fear losing the Royals to another city.

I've been very disappointed in KC's insularity and lack of vision as represented on social media. I can understand voting no for ideological reasons but the most common complaints have been about downtown parking, traffic and crime. Makes the metro seem a bit backwards.
Last edited by Highlander on Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:47 am, edited 2 times in total.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

AllThingsKC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:48 am I wish I was as optimistic as some of you. I think the vote fails 60% - 40%.

I drove around the Crossroads yesterday not that this matters but saw way more Yes than No signs. I'll predict it passes 58% of the vote
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

After this thing passes tomorrow I hope this wakes you people up to realizing the comment sections on social media don’t mean shit.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

it won't. airport passed and the same thing was all over social media negativity wise and we see it didn't change that thing.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

The reason I get so long winded in here, is because it's about the only place to have legit debates on the topics at hand with other intelligent people. Sure, you have the occasional fools who share deepfake videos, but it's nothing compared to the literal low intelligence folks who seem to dominate the social media comment sections.
shinatoo
Ambassador

Post by shinatoo »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:52 am The reason I get so long winded in here, is because it's about the only place to have legit debates on the topics at hand with other intelligent people. Sure, you have the occasional fools who share deepfake videos, but it's nothing compared to the literal low intelligence folks who seem to dominate the social media comment sections.
You are legitimately worked up over a deep fake, that's obviously a deep fake, and was posted on April 1st?
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Post by taxi »

And who's the moron?
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

taxi wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:05 am And who's the moron?
It's fucking moronic to post anything like this the day before such an important election for our city. It's even more moronic for the person who took the time and create it because social media is a cesspool of idiots who will take it as real.

Also, you've proven to be a moron dozens of times before this.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

lets please refrain from personal attacks and name-calling, lest ye be suspended or potentially banned.