Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by taxi »

moderne wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 pm I would like to think it will fit in if Oak got bowed to the east. It would be expensive, but could even replace the freeway overpass with an angled bridge(since the vision includes the freeway park construction). I am warming to the idea of 2 blocks of new mid rise development east of Oak. It would almost move Crown Center 2 blocks closer to the traditional CBD. I am a preservationist but I just do not see any significant losses in razing the blocks for greater height and density.
You are not a preservationist. Possibly a preservationist with no creativity. There are plenty of empty blocks nearby to build your hotel or whatever you need, without tearing down any historic structures. New development does not have to be within a few feet of the stadium, it can be a half block/full block/2 blocks away. Come on.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

taxi wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:56 pm
moderne wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 pm I would like to think it will fit in if Oak got bowed to the east. It would be expensive, but could even replace the freeway overpass with an angled bridge(since the vision includes the freeway park construction). I am warming to the idea of 2 blocks of new mid rise development east of Oak. It would almost move Crown Center 2 blocks closer to the traditional CBD. I am a preservationist but I just do not see any significant losses in razing the blocks for greater height and density.
You are not a preservationist. Possibly a preservationist with no creativity. There are plenty of empty blocks nearby to build your hotel or whatever you need, without tearing down any historic structures. New development does not have to be within a few feet of the stadium, it can be a half block/full block/2 blocks away. Come on.
What historic structures are in close proximity to the stadium footprint? I think we've talked about the U-Haul building being worth saving if possible, but what else?
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

Fire station is cool because it's the oldest standing in KC but that one will be tough to reuse probably
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:30 pm Fire station is cool because it's the oldest standing in KC but that one will be tough to reuse probably
It's also across Locust, so not in the planned overall footprint.

Was nice to see several large "VOTE YES" signs on the side of buildings in and around East Crossroads today.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:30 pm Fire station is cool because it's the oldest standing in KC but that one will be tough to reuse probably

Was nice to see several large "VOTE YES" signs on the side of buildings in and around East Crossroads today.
Same side as uhaul

1604 Locust St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jt4zQB3cF3igtUe59
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:49 pm
DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 2:44 pm

Same side as uhaul

1604 Locust St
https://maps.app.goo.gl/Jt4zQB3cF3igtUe59
It's across the street from U-Haul. Just outside the planned development footprint.

KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

You said across locust. That's the working active fire station, my link is to the historic oldest one that is same side of locust across 16th. That's the one be more likely to save.maybe go walk the neighborhood and check it out or visit the link I posted.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:16 pm You said across locust. That's the working active fire station, my link is to the historic oldest one that is same side of locust across 16th. That's the one be more likely to save.maybe go walk the neighborhood and check it out or visit the link I posted.
I've walked this area a thousand times, never noticed the sign on the exterior of the building. But understand which one you're referring to, can't imagine it's worth the save. Interior has been gutted of all past history from what I've read.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Honestly, what’s so historic about that old fire station? It’s not like it was the very first fire station in KC or anything. Is it simply because it’s old?

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/5861477232 ... njUiY34eiV
Last edited by Imarealperson on Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

As long as it gets immediately replaced and the land isn't demoed and sat on. If they own the property they can build whatever they want over it by right.

Even if I would prefer as much reuse as possible.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DColeKC wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:34 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:16 pm You said across locust. That's the working active fire station, my link is to the historic oldest one that is same side of locust across 16th. That's the one be more likely to save.maybe go walk the neighborhood and check it out or visit the link I posted.
I've walked this area a thousand times, never noticed the sign on the exterior of the building. But understand which one you're referring to, can't imagine it's worth the save. Interior has been gutted of all past history from what I've read.
I was just answering your question about what historic buildings we would consider keeping. Oldest fire station in KC fits that description. Agreed probably hard to repurpose.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

taxi wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 12:56 pm
Guess I better surrender my membership in the National Trust for Historic Preservation. I'm not an extreme zelot.
TheLastGentleman
Broadway Square
Broadway Square

Post by TheLastGentleman »

I think the premise of historic preservation has been at least somewhat diluted in KC. You could probably find people to stand in front of the bulldozers for the plaza, but we lose a couple of 19th century churches every year and the weld wheel building is being destroyed and the scarritt is rotting and nobody seems to care
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

HKC definitely seems random in what they decide to care about
DaveKCMO
Ambassador

Post by DaveKCMO »

Fake neighborhood account! So proud the Cruz/DeSantis machine is working in KC.

https://x.com/kclightrail/status/177441 ... Y5vRYfiNJA
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:43 am Fake neighborhood account! So proud the Cruz/DeSantis machine is working in KC.

Didn’t you all take the more spineless position of neutrality? “We have worked directly with the Royals to get things we demand but we don’t support or oppose”.
Imarealperson
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Imarealperson »

Oh no, a fake HOA account!!!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

Imarealperson wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:08 am Oh no, a fake HOA account!!!
And those scary republicans are behind it don’t ya know!
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

DaveKCMO wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:43 am Fake neighborhood account! So proud the Cruz/DeSantis machine is working in KC.

Pretty sure that Abbott. He has been running voice ads on sports radio mentioning that same url. If you want to properly point your ire.
wahoowa
Ambassador

Post by wahoowa »

DColeKC wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 9:56 am

Didn’t you all take the more spineless position of neutrality? “We have worked directly with the Royals to get things we demand but we don’t support or oppose”.
i don't see how this is anything other than a bad faith trolling effort by you, man. you are obviously aware that it's a community org with multiple constituents; for example, you have posted several times demonstrating the extent of your familiarity with the fact that the community's constituents aren't universally in support of a yes vote. in that context, the community org's work to get line item improvements that are generally supported by that community and its constituents (like the oak thing and the CID thing) and thus making it more likely that a higher percentage of their constituents will ultimately support it as amended (which i think has probably been achieved given, again, the oak thing and the CID thing) is as much support as you should reasonably hope to get from a community org like this. that's not "spineless" it's "appropriate"... community orgs exist to do shit besides blindly or publicly supporting the same stuff you personally support, for one; for two, there's nothing about securing line item improvements on a given proposal that inherently warrants the immediate full-throated support of the proposal as amended; and there are probably for threes and for fours etc. but it is particularly bizarre to me that you are implying there is anything wrong with how the community org has operated or is operating here in a world where you know a ton of constituents of the community org in question both (a) remain militantly opposed to the proposal and (b) would never change their mind or vote based on a public statement by the community org, anyway