Downtown Baseball Stadium

Discussion about new sports facilities in Kansas City
taxi
Penntower
Penntower

Re: Downtown Baseball Stadium

Post by taxi »

Literally dig a deeper hole in order to get out.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Post by beautyfromashes »

DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm Cordish isn't involved in the stadium at this point. This deal is with the county and the pro teams.
BS! This thing is wrapped up with a bow for Cordish. They’ll probably call it something stupid like Royals Live!!!!!!!
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:16 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 8:55 pm Cordish isn't involved in the stadium at this point. This deal is with the county and the pro teams.
BS! This thing is wrapped up with a bow for Cordish. They’ll probably call it something stupid like Royals Live!!!!!!!
Well the "Live" brand is a billion dollar business so maybe they should!

It's not bullshit though. You'll see soon enough but you won't believe it. Once a hater always a hater.
Last edited by DColeKC on Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

taxi wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:11 pm Literally dig a deeper hole in order to get out.
What hole we in?
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 pm It's not bullshit though. You'll see soon enough but you won't believe it. Once a hater always a hater.
Tell me Cordish has no involvement with the Royals development.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

I wish I could see exit polling from the vote thus far.

Considering that the Royals and the Chiefs kicked in a combined $1 million dollars Friday towards the Vote Yes campaign, I would imagine that internal polling is showing the results closer than they were expecting

https://www.kshb.com/news/local-news/st ... s-expenses
aknowledgeableperson
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by aknowledgeableperson »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:58 pm As much fun as it might feel, re-litigating this now isn't going to do anything. the city knew they were going to dip into the general fund. Did they know at this level for this long? I doubt it but probably should have anticipated it.
The city might have known but that wasn't the story being told to the public. It isn't about re-litigating but more about the trust. And I think that drives the no vote to a degree.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

aknowledgeableperson wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:08 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:58 pm As much fun as it might feel, re-litigating this now isn't going to do anything. the city knew they were going to dip into the general fund. Did they know at this level for this long? I doubt it but probably should have anticipated it.
The city might have known but that wasn't the story being told to the public. It isn't about re-litigating but more about the trust. And I think that drives the no vote to a degree.
It was said nicely but it very much was told to the public.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

beautyfromashes wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:52 pm
DColeKC wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:33 pm It's not bullshit though. You'll see soon enough but you won't believe it. Once a hater always a hater.
Tell me Cordish has no involvement with the Royals development.
They have no involvement at this point outside of a preferred location. I’m sure once this moves past the funding stage talks between the two could fire back up on a type of operational partnership but there is zero involvement on paper or in a handshake at this point.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

"John Sherman: “If it doesn’t pass, we’re kind of back to the drawing board,” John Sherman said. When asked if leaving Kansas City would be an option, he replied, “That’s not on my radar.”
TheUrbanRoo
Alameda Tower
Alameda Tower

Post by TheUrbanRoo »

It really does feel like overall the Chiefs never really gave a shit whether this happens or not, and it’s really just been about the Royals only the whole time.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

TheUrbanRoo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:48 am It really does feel like overall the Chiefs never really gave a shit whether this happens or not, and it’s really just been about the Royals only the whole time.
I've seen the comments that say the Chiefs wanted this vote on the ballot this year while Parson's was still in office. Could this explain the Royals weird execution of their plan if they were expecting more time to get details nailed down? In any case, there seems to have been a perfect storm of fumbles related to the rollout of this campaign.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

It's a problem when trying to serve two masters in the same vote but nobody, not even the owners, can claim this was well done. Sure they will try and blame the politics of it but that's a part of anytime you are asking for public money, that's not a valid excuse.
Metro
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by Metro »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:38 am It's a problem when trying to serve two masters in the same vote but nobody, not even the owners, can claim this was well done. Sure they will try and blame the politics of it but that's a part of anytime you are asking for public money, that's not a valid excuse.
I watched the thing on KCPT. I thought the yes side's argument was awful and Mayor James comes across as an asshole. I went to a neighborhood association meeting with the Royals VP of external affairs. He was even worse.

I'll be voting no. Really this thing needs to come back to the table.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

and what would you want to see improved when it came back to the table?
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

related question - if NO prevails, how confident are we that "coming back to the table" will be in KC/Jaxco as opposed to Kansas, Clayco or something like that? Is East Village even an option at this point?

I feel like the NO folks assume the team will come back to East Village or some "better" option but I don't think that is guaranteed at all and it could end up being way worse.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

chrizow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:13 pm related question - if NO prevails, how confident are we that "coming back to the table" will be in KC/Jaxco as opposed to Kansas, Clayco or something like that? Is East Village even an option at this point?

I feel like the NO folks assume the team will come back to East Village or some "better" option but I don't think that is guaranteed at all and it could end up being way worse.
Who knows. I don't know but there's got to be a good reason East Village, which would have been a much easier location to get the yes vote, was passed over. I suspect the Royals thought the negatives would impact their ability to improve their bottom line relative to their current location or that the Crossroads was just that much better of a location.

In any event, the final location has to be not only better than the current location (not a difficult hurdle) but better in the sense the Royals believe it improves their bottom line. Not sure something like The Legends does that. With all the debate about leaving town and contradicting statements by the franchises, I do believe the Royals would leave it they do not believe they can improve their bottom line over the current location. The franchise would just be worth a lot more money elsewhere rather than trying to eke out an existence in KC not making enough money to improve the performance on the field on a more permanent basis.
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

KCPowercat wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:38 am It's a problem when trying to serve two masters in the same vote but nobody, not even the owners, can claim this was well done. Sure they will try and blame the politics of it but that's a part of anytime you are asking for public money, that's not a valid excuse.
100%.

Have spoken with 3 minority owners about this in the past 3 months. All blame Frank White and MoDot.

Easily to forget now but there was a lot of goodwill and even excitement about the Royals coming downtown at the beginning of this process. Most I saw at the first listening session were interested if just waiting on details. And this process has continually failed to deliver on those.
chrizow wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:13 pm related question - if NO prevails, how confident are we that "coming back to the table" will be in KC/Jaxco as opposed to Kansas, Clayco or something like that? Is East Village even an option at this point?

I don't know if EV comes back, but I would feel reasonably confident that the Royals end up in JaxCo.

I wouldn't say the same about the Chiefs.
beautyfromashes
One Park Place
One Park Place

Cratedigger wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 12:37 pm
I don't know if EV comes back, but I would feel reasonably confident that the Royals end up in JaxCo.

I wouldn't say the same about the Chiefs.
Maybe someone can explain to me why a state-of-the-art Kansas-side Chiefs stadium that could potentially bring a Super Bowl without cost to Jackson County would be so much worse than the fresh paint and drapes proposal that we have now?

Royals don't make sense anywhere else but downtown. That's why I don't know why we feel we have to shower them with money to do what's best for them.
DColeKC
Ambassador

Post by DColeKC »

If this vote fails, there's a chance they could wait until the fall ballot to try again. However, there are other ways to get this done that doesn't involve Jackson County government at all.

East Village is out. It will not resurface as a potential site according to everything I know.